Tabula Mundi BABALON.

DownUnderNZer

Has anyone got this particular deck?

I would like to know what is the difference between this and the Tabula Mundi? Is it just the foil backs, limit on numbers produced (156 copies), and never before seen cards.

Am considering this deck as well as the Tabula Mundi only I don't particularly like borders although I do like most of the artwork I've seen. (Not all as some seem dark in color and I like vibrant). Love the SUN! Borders are a killjoy for me, so am not 100% about it. I do like the Rosetta which I have, only it never sees the light of day, so this might be bought to be passed on in death among the rest I do not use.

1) Are the cards big or small. Eg Poker or bigger.
2) How do you find them to read with.

Anything insightful would be appreciated.

DND :)

DownUnderNZer

And....

What is the card stock like as I am sure all decks have been made with the same material.

Borders do not seem too wide, so not bad really.

Not everyday you see a "brown skinned" Empress (unless an African deck perhaps), so that is rather unique.

Am close to pushing a few buttons, but a few opinions would surely add to the decision I am sure. Even if it is just the Tabula Mundi that is owned.

Barleywine

I backed the Colores Arcus but took one of the middle options, not the BABALON edition (perks were a signed card, an extra card, access to some pdf docs). The card stock is quite sturdy and the cards are on the large size, around 3.25" x 5". The only issue I have is that, when the cards were cut, a very slight "edge" or burr was left on the back side that doesn't let the cards slide smoothly. I'm sure this will wear down over time and use, but right now the shuffle isn't quite as slick as I would like. Everything else about the deck is fantastic.

DownUnderNZer

Am wondering if that is like that for all the decks. If it is something that can be smoothed out over time - then I think that is fine.

I think I am about 99% certain. I would use the single deck (maybe) and the Babalon as something to admire from time to time. The more I look at the cards and read what is in the Babalon (found it) it is like I HAVE TO HAVE IT!

Artwork is going to be my undoing!

Because of my impulsiveness I have made the decision to take a cooling off period of 48 to 72 hours. I doubt whether I will change my mind, but fair is fair.

Thanks for your take on it and I am glad the card stock is sturdy and the cards are large. Flimsy would have been a deal breaker.

I backed the Colores Arcus but took one of the middle options, not the BABALON edition (perks were a signed card, an extra card, access to some pdf docs). The card stock is quite sturdy and the cards are on the large size, around 3.25" x 5". The only issue I have is that, when the cards were cut, a very slight "edge" or burr was left on the back side that doesn't let the cards slide smoothly. I'm sure this will wear down over time and use, but right now the shuffle isn't quite as slick as I would like. Everything else about the deck is fantastic.

DownUnderNZer

Still have not changed my mind and am almost there.....

Has anyone got the book that goes with it?

Just wondering if that would be worth while purchasing or can it be left out.

Alta

Get the book. It goes into all the symbolism and really makes the cards live.

Spiffo

Hands down, the best deck I own.
I use the standard Tabula Mundi for readings with 'others' and the Babalon for my own work.
I'm a bit of a fan of MMM, and her two books (Book of Seshet and Book M) are two of the finest tarot books I've ever read/studied; they leave the crop of pop-tarot authors out in the cold. Mel's writing is clear, authoritative, and actually useful. They are guides to each deck, but so much more. Her ability to unpack, link, and draw from a myriad of teaditions, myths, ideas is quite breathtaking. I had been using the Nox et Lux edition for a couple of years, and Rosetta before that.

These decks are the work of an artisan and you can feel her hands on every part of the deck, packaging, books etc.

It's probably worth checking out her website for news on a new edition of Rosetta and some special offers on Tabula Mundi. Also worth noting that both Rosetta and Tabula Mundi are now Apps, made by Fool's Dog LLC; regardless of one's attitude to Tarot-Apps, they do afford a through examination of the decks and the books prior to purchasing physical copies.

I find Tabula Mundi gives profound readings, but has a quirky sense of humour. The interplay between the cards is remarkable, and the incorporation of all manner of esoteric approaches is a cinch with a deck like this. Similarly the art is of such consistent quality that a purely intuitive interaction would surely give good readings.

I'll be honest: I think most contemporary tarot decks, and books, are a load of poop, for reasons perhaps best left for another post ... suffice to say there are exceptions, the Tabula Mundi, and Mel's work in general, is one very bright exception.

Mmm, sounding like a fan-boy. X

DownUnderNZer

Nothing wrong with appreciating Art, Artists, and/or creative works. :thumbsup:

I do love the Rosetta and will have a look at what is new later tonight if I get a chance.

Have decided to go with the Tabula Mundi and book set plus the Babalon, so am setting the wheels in motion once I know one more thing.

What do you think of the Zodiacal decans?

Hands down, the best deck I own.
I use the standard Tabula Mundi for readings with 'others' and the Babalon for my own work.
I'm a bit of a fan of MMM, and her two books (Book of Seshet and Book M) are two of the finest tarot books I've ever read/studied; they leave the crop of pop-tarot authors out in the cold. Mel's writing is clear, authoritative, and actually useful. They are guides to each deck, but so much more. Her ability to unpack, link, and draw from a myriad of teaditions, myths, ideas is quite breathtaking. I had been using the Nox et Lux edition for a couple of years, and Rosetta before that.

These decks are the work of an artisan and you can feel her hands on every part of the deck, packaging, books etc.

It's probably worth checking out her website for news on a new edition of Rosetta and some special offers on Tabula Mundi. Also worth noting that both Rosetta and Tabula Mundi are now Apps, made by Fool's Dog LLC; regardless of one's attitude to Tarot-Apps, they do afford a through examination of the decks and the books prior to purchasing physical copies.

I find Tabula Mundi gives profound readings, but has a quirky sense of humour. The interplay between the cards is remarkable, and the incorporation of all manner of esoteric approaches is a cinch with a deck like this. Similarly the art is of such consistent quality that a purely intuitive interaction would surely give good readings.

I'll be honest: I think most contemporary tarot decks, and books, are a load of poop, for reasons perhaps best left for another post ... suffice to say there are exceptions, the Tabula Mundi, and Mel's work in general, is one very bright exception.

Mmm, sounding like a fan-boy. X

Spiffo

The extra Zodiac-Cards are a triumph.
All through the deck Mel highlights, with repetitive motifs, colour, and symbol, the links between the cards, (4Cups, Chariot, Priestess, for example). The 12 Zodiac-Cards do a similar thing, but, obviously, centred on the 12 Signs. Artistically it's intriguing, in Tarot work it adds another layer onto the deck. It's like seeing something in your head for years and suddenly seeing it in front of your eyes. Some could see them as a curio, I tend to think they're a bit more profound than that.

There is also a 'new' Lust (Strength) card in the Babalon too!