The Importance of the Question

greatdane

Sometimes I believe the importance of how a question is worded is missed in readings.
Even though Lenormand may be a little more "set" in interpretation than tarot is, at least for some readers, the way a question is phrased by a Sitter and WHERE a card is in the layout, makes a huge difference for me.

So to Sitters I would say an answer can only be as clear as a question, as I find Lenormand pretty literal most of the time. If a Sitter asks what's coming up in my life without any general topic, I will get a very general answer and may not be able to tell a Sitter WHAT part of their life the reading pertains to.

The saying, be careful what you ask for, I think takes on a special meaning in Lenormand. How a Sitter phrases a question is what I read to, so if the question is why ISN'T someone calling vs. WILL someone call, the layout could well read very differently for me even with the same cards.

This is just my personal feeling as this is how I READ. Different readers will have their own feelings.

Chanah

The Grand Tableau is designed to give a general overview, so for that you don't really need a question, though you can certainly ask one if something in particular is bothering you.

You're absolutely right about how to ask if you do have a question! E.g., if you want a romantic relationship with someone then 'will we have a romantic relationship?' is what to ask, not 'how does he/she feel about me?'. Maybe they really like you, but for whatever reason....and so forth.

'Is my job secure?' over 'will I be sacked?' most of the time, because it's much easier to read.

It is NOT rephrasing, by the way. It's simply finding the real question, the question behind the original question.

ana luisa

SO true, Greatdane !! And the worst of all is that often sitters do not know exactly WHAT they want to know. They either feel something is wrong, or missing but I've seen the readers "discover" for their sitters what these things were !!
On the other hand, when sitters DO know, it's almost always a YES/NO type of question which , for readers who believe in Tarot as helping pave the future, is a bit counter-productive...
This is IMO one of the most important things I've learned at AT, phrasing it right. ;)

greatdane

Ah Chanah...I so get what you're saying

I only do three card layouts. I know the GT is much more in depth. For me, I read to the question. I find three card layouts great for what I use them for. Brava to you for using the GT. I have no desire to go there, I'm a less is more with Lenormand and tarot just because it works for me. For those Sitters who wish a really comprehensive reading and may not have a question, I can so see the GT working well!

greatdane

So true Ana Luisa and MoonGypsy

So true!