Golden Dawn Tarot (Regardie)

archer1

On the back of the card the are a few symbols most of which I recognize but , what is the significances of the swastika on the bottom of the card.

I did notice that it is a reversed form of the one the nazi's used...

Ventrue

i picked this up...along with a lot more... there is a pretty long history to the left and right facing swastica, this is referring to the "opposite" of the nazi one...

"Barbara G. Walker, author of The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects, claims that the crux dissimulata, an early swastika, represented the four winds. Concerning the short-armed version of this symbol, known as the gammadion because it is made up of four Greek gammas, Walker says this symbol was an emblem of the ancient goddess and probably represented "the solstices and equinoxes, or the four directions, four elements, and four divine guardians of the world.""

I think this one probably relates most to tarot...

Ven

Rusty Neon

See the wikipedia article on Swastika:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

As the article notes, Swastiska is a word of Sanskrit origin and "is a holy symbol in Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism".

If you go into a Chinese Buddhist temple, you will see many swastikas in the artwork and sculptures: left-facing and right-facing, depending on the artwork.

Aeon418

I always like the story about Aleister Crowley and the Swastika. Supposedly, during the war years, he was asked for a magical symbol to counter the power of the swastika. He suggested the V sign of Apophis and Typhon, a sign that Winston Churchill made famous during WW2.

Whether it's true or not is anyones guess. :D

Lillie

Which way round did Crowley have his hand?

Cos I think the other way is just as good as Churchills!

archer1

Wow!!! Thanks for all of the info...real interesting stuff

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
He suggested the V sign of Apophis and Typhon, a sign that Winston Churchill made famous during WW2.

:D

Apophis and Typhon ???

I thought Churchills V sign meant; "Where is my next cigar?"