any thoughts on 'pleasure'?

BrightEye

I know pleasure has been discussed in various threads but doesn't, as far as I know, have one all to itself. This is an important card that has recently come up in a relationship situation and I thought a discussion would help me figure it out.

What I get from the Book of Thoth:

1. 6 - Tiphareth/ Sun (the Sun keeps reappearing in one or the other guise); corresponds to the Lovers: balance?
2. Sun in Scorpio - the basis of fertility and life through putrefaction
3. The lotus flowers are arranged in a dancing movement: harmony?
4. 'The influence of the Sun on Water': ie the harmonious combination of fire and water
5. Crowley ends the description with 'well-being, harmony without effort or strain, ease satisfaction, fulfilment of sexual will'.

From Gerd Ziegler, Tarot - Mirror of the Soul:

'Rich echange of sexual and emotional energy, pleasure in sexual relationships', the snakes in the cups suggesting the transformational power of sex (healing and renewal implied)

What I get from the card in relation to my question (how to move forward) is enjoyment of each other's company without forcing anything or without any strings attached.

Any other aspects to pleasure that I'm missing?

Knightward

Scorpio is a fixed sign, this gives the sign immense depth (Think: Pisces = River, Cancer = Lake, Scorpio = Ocean).

The sun would add power to Scorpios mindset traits. Caring and depth of emotion would come up. Focus woul dbe on learnign each others secrets, sexual situations and emotional depth.

This is not a one sided card. If you look, the cups in both sides are fairly balanced both top to bottom and side to side. As complex as Scorpio can be, the Sun enlightens us to the powerful and pleasant emotions a water sign can bring. Scorpio is a tranformational sign, being ruled by Pluto - and you may find previous barriers disappearing as your relationship transforms and is enchanced on an emotional level.

Being a Six, and Scorpio being a Fixed sign, this may be utter contentment on a longer term basis. This is a lasting bond, as opposed to a possiably more temporary one.

Scorpio being a fixed sign, does not like to let go. If I had to guess I would venture this may be long term.

Dean

Pleasure

Crowley also talks about how this card is related to memories from the past, this can be someone from your past an old friend from your childhood, or love interest which indicates you still have some nostalgic feelings.

This card always tell's me of something from the past thats about to come back into your life, it's a very positive card to have it also indicates some good times lay ahead.

BrightEye

Knightward said:
Being a Six, and Scorpio being a Fixed sign, this may be utter contentment on a longer term basis. This is a lasting bond, as opposed to a possiably more temporary one.

Scorpio being a fixed sign, does not like to let go. If I had to guess I would venture this may be long term.
Do you know what? During a sleepless few hours last night I was up looking through 2 of my tarot decks, worrying about the whole issue. I eventually asked the cards 'why can't I let her go?' and I got the Sun (I used the Ansata tarot, which is a Majors only deck). I'm sure there is a connection. I'll be back with more questions when I'm less tired.

BrightEye

The Sun is about lasting mature bonds, isn't it.

Barriers breaking down. I had the Tower recently, which seemed quite upsetting. The reading I did to clarify this gave me the 6 of Cups as the move forward, but it seems much more gentle and slow than the Tower. More time involved in getting to that stage.

ravenest

I like Knightward's comment on Scorpio being fixed. I should pay more attention to this fixed, mutible cardinal aspect of a sign and how it inflences a minor card.

I always thought that a scorpion was a strange animal to represent a water sign. Fish, crab, sure ... but a scorpion?

BrightEye

Knightward said:
I'm really impressed by your insights. I've just reread your post, thinking it's rather too good to be true. If this is a card that comes up as advice about how to move forward out of a stalemate situation, how would you read it? What advice is it giving me? Getting to know each other? Patience? Trust? Commitment?

Knightward

BrightEye said:
I'm really impressed by your insights. I've just reread your post, thinking it's rather too good to be true. If this is a card that comes up as advice about how to move forward out of a stalemate situation, how would you read it? What advice is it giving me? Getting to know each other? Patience? Trust? Commitment?

The Card is about balance to some degree, I think. If you look at it the card is nearly the same right to left, and the cups are also the same layout top to bottom.

Clearly the card is indicative of a good time.

Patience and commitment strike me as two qualtiies right off, simply due to Scorpio's nature.

Seeing the sun as the planet in question, you may want to be open and forthcoming in a direct - but not overbearing way.

You should ideally, if balanced, be seeing the same effort from your lady friend.

What birthsign is your lady friend? if Scorpio or a Water sign, that may add another element to consider.

BrightEye

Knightward said:
What birthsign is your lady friend? if Scorpio or a Water sign, that may add another element to consider.
Cancer.

Knightward

Cancers are water signs.

They have a tendancy to be clingy, and love security. They also, like scorpios are emotional and like to conceal it less they are sure it isn;t going to hurt them. Thus bonding with them may take while.

It would seem your enjoying each others company, so the advice I gave in my last post would, imo, definatly apply to this situation.

-Fenier