Update on Kraig's new book "Tarot and Magic"

Ophiel

First off, I apologize to Maan for creating a new thread from one that she started about new titles from Llewellyn Books, one of them the new book by ceremonial magician Donald Kraig titled, "Tarot and Magic." I am so because I posted a number of messages in that thread and need to update those messages and thought if I started a thread specifically about this book, I could get the attention of those who may have read my first comments but perhaps might not go back to that thread.

When I found out about Donald Kraig's newest book, "Tarot and Magic," I was excited, very excited. I literally dropped everything I was doing and made a bee line to a local bookstore after I called and learned they had it on the shelf. I really liked Kraig's book "Modern Magick" (MM) and had no reason to believe he wouldn't deliver on this one, too. I relish Tarot books with a twist, going into new areas. The shelves are quite heavy with titles about the divinational side of the cards.

The first few chapters of the book were great, just fantastic, IMHO. In fact, I think I made my impressions very clear in Maan's thread.

And then I hit a chapter that I thought was a dude, a real bomb. It reminded me of that tale of the Emperor's new clothes, where someone had convinced the Emperor he had new clothes but in fact, he had none and was parading down the streets showing both his crown jewels and his family jewels. And everyone praised his new threads. I am the Emperor and I brought this book into my realm, and I felt that Kraig tried to convince me of some valid "new" techniques with the Tarot that just didn't work for me one bit. It is a chapter called "Dancing the Tarot," which blends some Gestault therapy techniques with some modelling exercises I did at a Tony Robbins Firewalk/NLP seminar over a decade ago. The gist of this technique is that if you can model/imitate exactly how a person is sitting/gesturing, you will gain access to their mind set. Far fetched, but it did seem to work at the seminar. But Kraig's method involves the comparing and modelling the gestures from two or more Tarot cards and creating a change in physiology, and outcome.

But don't take my word for it. Buy this book and hopefully you will get as much as I did out of the chapters that worked for me (1-3 and 5) and those that didn't. Maybe these chapters really work for you. I am not finished with the book yet and perhaps I can add more chapters that worked.

Another chapter on ceremonial magic that didn't work for me, either. I'm getting a real fire n' ice feeling from this book, a few steaming chapters and then... IMHO, there's too much magick, and not enough Tarot in this book.

I have a few more chapters to go, and frankly, I had to read this book. Maybe you do, too.

zander770

"w/a crowlean 'k'," i must say . . .

Ophiel said:
First off, I apologize to Maan for creating a new thread from one that she started about new titles from Llewellyn Books, one of them the new book by ceremonial magician Donald Kraig titled, "Tarot and Magic."

(zander770) the book is titled _tarot & magick_, the "k" added from aleister crowley's differentiation betwixt "stage magician's" and--well?--magickian's.

It is a chapter called "Dancing the Tarot," which blends some Gestault therapy techniques with some modelling exercises I did at a Tony Robbins Firewalk/NLP seminar over a decade ago. The gist of this technique is that if you can model/imitate exactly how a person is sitting/gesturing, you will gain access to their mind set. Far fetched, but it did seem to work at the seminar. But Kraig's method involves the comparing and modelling the gestures from two or more Tarot cards and creating a change in physiology, and outcome.

(zander770) perhaps he's alluding to "path working"?

But don't take my word for it. Buy this book and hopefully you will get as much as I did out of the chapters that worked for me (1-3 and 5) and those that didn't. Maybe these chapters really work for you. I am not finished with the book yet and perhaps I can add more chapters that worked.

(zander770) i've been awaiting it! (can't afford to buy it, alas, this month.) any "qaballa" chaps?

thx for this, ophiel!

~770
:TMAGE

Maan

No need to apologize Ophiel
I'm really glad you can tell so much about the book. And i'm glad with yoyr critical comments too. I might buy the book but i think i wait a little there are so many nice books and decks on my wish list ;)

Ophiel

Zander770

Zander770...yes, lots of Cabalah stuff. Actually I liked some of his Kabalah stuff in this book. Speaking of Qabalah, did you see the new Phillip Cooper book, "Esoteric Magic and the Cabalah"? It was actually a fun read. He had an interesting section on pathworking. Actually, the Kraig pathworking section was pretty good, too. If you find any new books on the C/K/Q-abalah, let me know! BTW, did you read duQuette's "The Chicken Qabalah"...another fun read...

Maan: Thanks for not banishing me to the corn field! As I said earlier, I would have bought this book no matter what I read about it.

zander770

Re: Zander770

Originally posted by Ophiel Zander770...yes, lots of Cabalah stuff. . . . did you see the new Phillip Cooper book, "Esoteric Magic and the Cabalah"? It was actually a fun read. He had an interesting section on pathworking. Actually, the Kraig pathworking section was pretty good, too. If you find any new books on the C/K/Q-abalah, let me know! BTW, did you read duQuette's "The Chicken Qabalah"...another fun read...

no, not yet, WILL look to cooper's new book; which kraig book? if m.m., ok--"short and concise"; WILL "let you know," of course; no, not yet to "chicken," but: i DO know duquette!

very scary . . . a very scary man . . .

~770
:TDEV

Ophiel

Zander, sorry I wasn't more precise. The Kraig pathworking I'm referring to is in the new book. You asked me if it has any c/k/qabalah in it.

The Chicken book by DuQuette is actually fun and filled with a lot of information, including quite a bit with tarot cards and the Tree, going into decan assignments, etc. Really had some information I've only seen in the Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic, but makes a great deal more sense than that. DuQuette scary? Sheesh...I thought he was a teddy bear. The chicken book is very good, actually. I bet I've read some other books written by people I might not want to invite over for dinner.

Ophiel

My FINAL impression about this book!

Now that I have finished my first reading of this book, I'd like to modify my comments a final time, a final time tonight, anyway. This book took me on a tour of some places I didn't particularly want to go. A few of the chapters' validity, I still question. I can't figure why they were even included in the book, at least with a straight face. However, there are also some really powerful chapters that I intend to study in depth and absorb. As Kraig, I have had a love affair with the Tarot cards over many years now. I want the cards to be a significant part of my spiritual work, and this book has given me some help doing that.

I had to read this book, no matter what anyone said. I did learn quite a bit, and without giving away the plot would say that if you are attracted to both ceremonial magick and the Tarot cards, you are probably going to find some really useful information in this book. I started off *really* liking this book, and then when I hit a few strange chapters, I panicked, since I had already praised the book, and then, was looking at some material in disbelief. But now, I can say that the book was worthwhile for me. Hopefully others will read this book and we could discuss some of the issues in it. I'd also love to compare notes about those chapters I had problems with.

If you read this book and would like to talk about it, let me know.

Ophiel

Major Tom

I've got it!

Just got it today. Good ole' Amazon. I ordered it back in July willing to wait for the first print. ;)

So far, I've only read Mary K. Greer's foreword. I like her closing sentence: "I invite you to use this book to make Tarot and magick the extraordinary companions they can both be on your journey of self-discovery and empowerment".

I also like the dedication: "I gratefully didicated this book to the teachers of Tarot of the past, those who are here today , and those who are yet to come. Thank you for sharing your wisdom so unselfishly.

It will take me a while to get through what promises to be a fascinating book. Be patient with me. :)

Jewel

YAY got it yesterday ... I look forward to reading it after reading Ophiel's posts. So far I have to say that I really like the overall Special Topics in Tarot that Llewellyn is doing. The first two books were great and this one promises to be as well.

Ophiel

Has anybody read this book?

Hi. I am the person who started all the trouble with this book. }) and I'd love to hear general impressions from you, if you've also read it. Except for a few chapters, I did get a lot from the book.

What did you think of the book?