Tarot And Religion

raventepes

To put this simply and plainly, I practice everything and nothing.

That translates into a belief of mine. Just about every religion out there share common threads. Granted, they appear differant on the surface, but when you look at it with an alagorical mind, you start to see not where they're differant. But where they're the same. If a person were to cut the crap out of everything that didn't match up somewhere, you would find yourself with a pure, perfect religion.

MistressNatasha

Quite

raventepes said:
If a person were to cut the crap out of everything that didn't match up somewhere, you would find yourself with a pure, perfect religion.

If only that would happen. But... only in a perfect world, aye? I don't think we'll live to see the day that the world is in complete peace; perfection. The world will cause the end of existence as a whole. =\ But, then again, you never know. *Shrugs*

~Mistress Natasha

Sophie

But then you'd take the heart out of religion and spirituality - it would be like trying to make every human being the same...

It would be nice to have respect and openness, and to be able to learn from each other - in fact, it's necessary if we don't all want to keep slitting each other's throats. But I don't think we all need to be the same, believe the same things or have the same spiritual practices. I think I have far more in common with someone from another spiritual path/religion who has a regular spiritual discipline than with someone who has a wholly materialist life and no spiritual practice whatsoever. I still remember the fascinating and very enriching talks about religion and spirituality I had with my Iraqi friends - mostly Shia Muslims, two Sunnis, and two Christians.

When I ask for spiritual help in the Chat or Spiritual area, and a Catholic says: I'll light a candle to Mary in Church; a pagan says: I'll do a working with Brigid; a Buddhist says: I'll give a flower to Kwan Yin; and a Protestant says: I'll pray to the Lord - I am grateful for all these demonstrations of love, which all move from the soul of the person.

To return to Tarot, the soul is what directs us when we read at our best. That is what makes reading tarot a spiritual practice, even if we don't do it consciously.

Nevada

I'm spiritual but not religious. I have leanings toward Christianity, Buddhism, Paganism, and lots of other leanings. Lots of leaning but no joining going on here, ever again. :) I find truth and wisdom in lots of places, and I'm very happy with that. I prefer a path with no name, and no hierarchy except the divine.

Tarot fits in with that perfectly.

I believe very strongly in nature spirits, angels, faeries, divas, whatever you want to call the spirits that help everything grow and do its thing. I think I've felt their presence, especially around trees. Just the other day, when we were on a drive, I got this feeling of absolute bliss from a patch of wildflowers and grasses growing near the side of the road. It was as if the faeries were having a dance.

Nevada

MistressNatasha

Hmm...

Fudugazi: You do have a good point, as well. Gosh... everyone is making good points! Haha! Maybe all the world really needs is to be open and accepting.

Nevada: Very true. I'm beginning to see that people here are more spiritual than religious. This is where I wanted the conversation to get at. :)

~Mistress Natasha

beachcomb

I am Jewish and although I'm a beginner in tarot I feel that it has actually helped me grow even closer to my religion.I love how it fits with the idea of the tree of life. Tarot has also let me start early with Kabbalah studies even though I have to wait another 9 years to officially start studying the Kabbalah. I can't wait really to see how much more the two have in common.

MistressNatasha

Wow!

beachcomb said:
Tarot has also let me start early with Kabbalah studies even though I have to wait another 9 years to officially start studying the Kabbalah. I can't wait really to see how much more the two have in common.

That's wonderful, beachcomb! It's great that the Tarot is bringing you closer to your religion. Good luck! :)

Breezy

MistressNatasha said:
Ever since I joined this forum last week, this has been in my mind: What religion are you? Most people associate Tarot (and those who use it) with more magickal and witchcraft religions.

Wow.. What a thread. When my friend first told me about Tarot, this was my initial thought.. And then as time went on (a week :) LOL) I started to kind of understand more and more about it. Like I mentioned its only been a couple of weeks but already I have seen Tarot as its true form.. Not that which is portrayed in Hollywood. Even though a part of me wants Tarot to be somewhat like it is pictured/portrayed haha.. :shhh:

Who doesn't want thier cards to be thrown across the table and candels to be blown out by a mysterious gust of chilling air.. lol

Faolainn Storm

Breezy said:
Who doesn't want thier cards to be thrown across the table and candles to be blown out by a mysterious gust of chilling air.. lol
Me! That's how you lose them! Nothing more sad than a deck missing a couple of cards. :D

Faolainn Storm

gregory

Me too. I am constantly dropping cards as it is..........

........now if the mysterious presence would bring them BACK..........

Sorry - back to the topic.