Celtic Cross Spread questions

Rhyannon

I have two different decks (hoping to get a third soon). In the little book, I saw two different spreads for the Celtic Cross, where there were the same readings for the cards, but the cards were placed differently. Now, depending on which spread you go by, you could get vastly different answers for the same cards.

So, do you go by the spread you feel most comfortable with? Or the one in the book? Or do you do different types of spreads for different decks?

Mojo

Always do what feels right for you. Books are just one person's (the author's) opinion. Tarot should be a personal experience.

MeeWah

Mojo is right.
There are many variations of the Celtic Cross Spread so the one you use is strictly up to you; however, be consistent! That way, your consciousness has a point of reference to work from without confusion.
Some people use a particular version according to the deck. I generally use one of two versions that works for me. You can experiment with different ones to see how they seem to work.
Mojo: Welcome back!! What is the meaning of that Italian expression?

tarotbear

Most Celtic cross variations deal with the placement of the 4th thru 7th cards. Traditonally the past is the 'basis' and gets placed 'beneath' the first two. The present and future bounce around since . like in backgammon, the side facing the 'light' is considered the future. Also, the conclusion card is considered what 'crowns' the situation, and that card ended up on top of the reading! Is this a pain in the butt? It sure is!

I modified it to make it easier for a Querent to follow what card is past, present, and future by laying them out in order, clockwise. That way they don't have to think about jumping all over the spread to try to rememebr which card is the future.

purplelady

I always do this the same way no matter what deck I use.#3 at the very bottom is distant past or basis of the matter.#4 is always on the left,it is recent past. #5 is at the top , crown . #6 is at the right of the cross, soon to be future.

Lady_Mage

Rhyannon (08 Aug, 2001 21:17):
I have two different decks (hoping to get a third soon). In the little book, I saw two different spreads for the Celtic Cross, where there were the same readings for the cards, but the cards were placed differently. Now, depending on which spread you go by, you could get vastly different answers for the same cards.

So, do you go by the spread you feel most
comfortable with? Or the one in the book? Or do you do different types of spreads for different decks?

Go by what you feel most comfortable with. Your intuition will guide you from there.

cj

Rhyannon

Here is what I feel cofortable with - hope it helps.
5 9
4 1/2 6 8
3 7

1 - significator (I let the deck choose)
2 - Cross's sig. (person/thing sig is dealing w/)
3 - beneath ( subconious)
4 - past (physical movement)
5 - Crown (concious thinking)
6 - near future (physical movement)
7 - Sig in near future (mentally)
8 - environment in near future
9 - Hopes/fears/lesson to learn
10 - final outcome - distant future

Take a look at 3 and 5, 4 and 6, 1 and 7, 7 and 8, 2 and 9

Try it and see if it works for you. the thing is to concentrate on the position's meaning as you lay the cards.

Good luck exploring spreads - there are hundreds...(tarotspread.com).

cj

fairyhedgehog

My version is:

1 the querent
2 the cross (what else is in the situation)
3 above
4 below
5 behind (left)
6 before (right)
7 within
8 without
9 hopes and fears
10 the outcome

I think I pretty much use the traditional interpretations of what the positions mean, I just set them out in a slightly different order.

I got to this by doing what you folks said: going with what feels right for me. It works!