Designers Decks

Tobe

I have come to a conclusion that even these designer decks (Like Wild Unknown, Fashion, Modern Art etc..) that are created by artists are very much worth of keeping.

In my collection I have over 5 decks at least that are not "published".
These decks are harder to connect and read with, I must say.
However, keeping them is definitely worth the money. Not only the art itself are fantastic.
But also, these decks reward you so much once you can read them like your palm!
I feel like I can see this world a little bit better now because of the hidden lessons within these tiny pictures. They are a bit pricey sure, but honestly, I haven't got a complain about them, and can't have any complains :)

Le Fanu

I agree that these decks are wonderful but I don't make a distinction of "designer" therefore they reward you so much more. There are great decks and bad decks spread across the board and what is a designer deck today could be mass marketed tomorrow!

There are mass market decks which feel like independent decks - like U.S Games' Japaridze Tarot - and which are beautiful. There are also some rather shoddy independent decks.

But I see what you're saying - check out the Pagan Otherworlds - independent tarot publishing at its best.

gregory

I'm with leffy. I have a lot of "designer" decks and a lot of mass market ones. There are gems and duds in both groups!

starlightexp

I adore the more fringe decks out there. Obviously we are in a 'Golden Age' for self printing decks but i love collect small print decks from the 60's and 70's and 80's as well. There is something a bit more personal about them to me. Now with things like the Rosetta, Tarot of the Crone, Pagan Otherworlds and the Tyldwick not only are they stunning to look at they are beautifully made.

Nemia

I love, love, love the fact that today, independent artists can make their own decks, publish them, and here at AT, we're part of the "scene" that makes it possible to spread the word.

I love also Lo Scarabeo decks with their concepts and hired artists (the Fey tarot is an example, and the book shows beautifully how such a cooperation between tarot expert and artist without tarot background can can work).

But there's something special about a deck like Anna K. that the artist painted for herself, the Cult of Weimar which in pre-Internet times would probably never have found its way to me, and completely mad ideas like the Tyldwick - a tarot of empty rooms. Not to mention a miracle like the Tabula Mundi or Maria Celia.

It feels wonderful to accompany a deck from planning stage - and then hold it in your hand. The communication with artists that we have here on AT is great. It connects me as buyer and reader to the deck.

FLizarraga

I hear there is a Tom Ford Tarot in the works. Though I'd definitely settle for a John Varvatos one. :)