Robin Wood - 9 of Wands

CelticGirl

This card is a man surrounded by a wall of 8 wands while holding onto and leaning onto another wand. He is wearing pants, but no shirt or shoes. This makes me believe that he is comfortable, yet with his stance and the way he has the "wall" of wands, I believe that he always has his guard up. He is also wearing a pendant around his neck with the Algiz rune, which is a protection rune.

I have gotten this card before in readings I do for myself and have pretty much gotten the impression that I need to put my guard up and protect myself... which in most cases has turned out to be right!

Robin Wood has in her booklet that this card represents: Waiting for difficulties, changes, new challenges........temporary ceasefire in struggle.

annik

He have a head wound. He has to back off as the wound heal. He is waiting and can only defend if the enemy goes near him. He seems to look around, guarding the place. Vigilent.

tarotbear

Wounded men don't pull guard duty; wounded men are supposed to stay in sick bay until they are deemed worthy to fight again.

One interpretation is that the soldier knows that danger is imminent and every man will be needed for defense; despite orders to remain in bed he feels that he 'must' take a stance, that his comrades need assistance. In this mode he is selflessly standing guard for the betterment of all.

In another interpretation, the soldier is acting in a parnoid fashion. There is no enemy out there but he feels that 'if I let my guard down they will come and attack me again.' Despite constant reminding that everything is safe, and the fact that he should be resting in bed ... he does not listen.

In between these two interpretations is 'I was hurt once; it will not happen again.'

CelticGirl

Hmmm....I noticed his head wound, but didn't really think anything of it. I actually don't think I realized it was a wound, but just a rag around his head. I really enjoyed what you guys had to say about this card.... it opens up more ideas for me. :)

Mystic Leo

No shirt, no shoes, he really has been caught unawares. Obviously he doesn't intend giving up.

He seems to be looking and just waiting for future problems, or sensing something is going to happen.

Muser257

I sometimes she this as putting up a barrier against your problems instead of always the defending viewpoint. For the head wound I see this card as taking a last stand. Using all your might and not giving up until it's over. I love how Robin Wood has the wands all elaboratly decorated and with crystals and gems on top. Like a staff. These look like magical weapons as opposed to sticks of wood.

spinningspider

Nine of Wands

In the "Nine of Wands," it's as if we've been given a glimpse into the life of the man on the card, catching his breath during a possibly brief respite from whatever he's been fighting for. All you have to do is see his bandaged head wound to know the battle has not been an easy one. And yet, Robin was sure to draw blood stains on his pants (minus any wounds there) in order to, "...show that he gave as good as he got in the struggle." This man, like the figures depicted in the Five of Wands and Seven of Wands, is brave, determined and ready to go the distance towards making known his beliefs and standing up for them.

The only wand radiating sparks and energy in the Nine of Wands is that which the figure is holding. He's not gripping it as a weapon just now; it's almost as if he's using the wand to rest on. In fact, Robin wrote that the key words for this card are, "Wait for it." The guy is in no hurry, but he'll be ready when the time comes again to take a stance.

The other wands, once again as shown in past cards in the Wands' suit, are topped by crystals of various colors and shapes. To me, as they stand in a line behind the gent, they often look as a wall of defense...not as the enemy(ies). As defense, it's as if the man has many people who are behind him and will come to his aid should he need them. If the wands seem like foes, then he'd do best to look behind him...ie. watch his back. Though perhaps he knows the adversaries are there, but he's not worried about dealing with them until the time comes when he must.

The man seems pensive and resolute...thinking hard over what's happened and what's to come. If this set of emotions seems important in a reading, I might advise the querent to also think long and hard over what it is they are fighting for. No matter what, the situation at hand is no laughing matter and should be taken seriously. Perhaps the querent needs to ask themselves if the fight IS worth fighting?

I got a kick out of Robin's explanation for not having drawn loops to hold the man's belt up...a precarious situation at best! Robin said, "It's possible that the Seeker's help will fail at a most inopportune time." Ha! I can't help thinking about my youngest son's attire...HUGE pants with often no belt at all. How DOES he keep them up? Wonder how many times my son's pants failed at inopportune times?!!