Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

Nikita_

I used to think that seeing the future was mainly what the cards were used for; but over the years, and after a series of negative experiences, both as a client and reading-esp for myself-, I've come to the conclusion that tarot is very good at mirroring the current situation and the actual trends, but often not to be trusted when it comes to predicting the future. I know that there are readers who don't even try to read the future, they simply refuse, and although I strongly disagreed with them in the past, I am beginning to see their point...
What is your experience with predicting the future through the cards ? I would be tempted to ask you, on a percentage, what is your degree of success in that, but I don't know if that makes sense....

Sar

It can, but it depends very much on the reader.

Nikita_

It can, but it depends very much on the reader.

The fact is, I know a couple of excellent readers who, over the years, have been able to see the most amazing things in the present, and about people they were reading about-really talented Readers, I think, that on a few occasions have had the most incredible flops when predicting the future...I am trying to understand how that can happen....

ravenest

If they can ... one should be able to demonstrate that ( a demonstration is not a 'story' though).

Sar

The fact is, I know a couple of excellent readers who, over the years, have been able to see the most amazing things in the present, and about people they were reading about-really talented Readers, I think, that on a few occasions have had the most incredible flops when predicting the future...I am trying to understand how that can happen....

You recognise patterns, you listen to experienced readers and goe with your gut. That is all, actually.

ravenest

Sorry ? Are you saying you are trying to understand how a 'really talented' reader can fail at predicting the future?

That must be one of the easiest things to understand :confused:

Nikita_

You recognise patterns, you listen to experienced readers and goe with your gut. That is all, actually.

What do you mean you listen to experienced readers ?
Those Readers were-are - very experienced....I don't think they misread the cards....

tarotbear

Just about anything is possible. However, I think your question might well be "WILL Tarot really foretell the Future?" instead of "CAN Tarot really foretell the Future?" It's like the two schools of thought about 'Tarot is only Predictive' versus 'Tarot is only Intuitive', or "Can the Tarot predict actual Death?"

Sar

What do you mean you listen to experienced readers ?
Those Readers were-are - very experienced....I don't think they misread the cards....

I mean: If those readers you admirer are here on the forum: Pay attention when they write something in our discussions, read their readings thoroughly, if necessary copy their style shamlessly to get a feel of how they are thinking and approaching tarot.

Anyway, I can't say this enough: Rote learn every traditional meaning of every 78 card, both up and reversed, learn the traditional way of putting the cards together to see the entire story infront of you. Don't be a lazy reader who brag about your psychic/intuitive talents, in the end your talents means shit, you need to commit to the craft if you want to do your clients justice the day your abilities fails you.

And in the end it will be so simple: Just read the cards.

Shade

Sometimes the Weather Guy on TV gets it wrong. Does that mean meteorology doesn't work?