crystal study Group; obsidian

Minotauro

ok , so , obsidian is volcanic glass , lava that cooled rapidly with minimal crystal grouth and is sometimes refered to as a mineraloid and is not a true crystal.

it has been used since the stone age as a flints , to mirros ,divination tools , to even surgical equipment.

the cutting edge of obsidian being only about 3 nanometers thick , Even the sharpest knife has a jagged, irregular blade when viewed under a strong enough microscope; when examined even under an electron microscope an obsidian blade is still smooth and even. One study found that obsidian incisions produced narrower scars, fewer inflammatory cells, and less granulation tissue

It possesses the property of presenting a different appearance according to the manner in which it is cut: when cut in one direction it is jet black; in another it is glistening gray. ( or gilded or rainbow , etc.)

"Apache tears" are small rounded obsidian nuggets embedded within a grayish-white perlite matrix.

for me this stone is an important part of my mexican heritage.

the aztecs related it to the deitry "Tezcatlipoca " whose name means " smoking mirror" refering to the obsidian mirrors , he is associated with a wide range of concepts, including the night sky,, the north ( im from the north of mexico where he was suposed to rule and live), the earth ( Im a pretty earthy person) , discord, rulership, divination, temptation, jaguars, sorcery, beauty, etc.

he was revered ad a omnipresent (the wind) and all seeing god ( obsidian mirror)

Obsidian is truth-enhancing. A strongly protective stone, it forms a shield against negativity. It blocks psychic attack and absorbs negative energies from the environment. Obsidian draws out mental stress and tension. It stimulates growth on all levels, urging exploration of the unknown and opening new horizons. Brings clarity to the mind and clears confusion. Helps you to know who you truly are. Obsidian dissolves emotional blockages and ancient traumas. Promotes qualities of compassion and strength.

Chakras - Base Chakra

Black Obsidian is a very powerful and creative stone. It increases self-control. It forces facing up to one’s true self. Releases imbalances and negative energies. Black Obsidian is protective and provides support during change. It repels negativity and disperses unloving thought

In healing Obsidian is believed to reduce the pain of arthritis, to help joint problems and to ease cramp. It is also said to aid digestion.

Black Obsidian is an extremely powerful and fast acting stone, and should be used with caution

I feel very drawn to it , and I see it as a stone with many uses and properties , wich as the description says , changes acording to the angle you see it from .

and that was a long post , I've worn an obsidian before, my first one actually despite all the warnings., and Ill talk about it later , but I wanted to give a little background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tezcatlipoca
http://www.crystalwellbeing.co.uk/catalogueitemsblackobsidian.php
http://www.charmsoflight.com/obsidian-healing-properties.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/obsidian
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100703034116AAL6TxF

wildchilde

glad you started this thread, Minotauro. I will be looking forward to your further posts...I just received a rather large Apache Tear the other day. It is quite beautiful and grounding. I am working right now with some higher vibration crystals, but will likely come back to this one for grounding work soon, so hopefully I will have some experience to add in the near future.

DownwardSpiral

Minotauro......

YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! : )

I too will eventually come back to this thread and share my experiences.

For now I can say I have an obsidian palm stone that I have carried to work for protection. I didn't get any indication that it was too strong for me. Depending on how I hold it in the light one side has some golden streaks and the other side has what looks like a scarecrow (the face) Once I was staring at the face and it started to look like a young boy with a laurel wreath on his head : )

Anyway Minotauro I'm looking forward to reading your experiences : ) Thank you so much for joining in.

Padma

Hi Minotauro, glad to see you decided to jump on board! Thanks for the very informative post on obsidian, as I did not know much about it, frankly. I do remember I had a random unnamed god carved from greenish-black Obsidian, that my brother brought back from Mexico. I loved the stone but I was uncomfortable with the unknown god, so I donated the statue to the anthropology department of the university here. They liked it :)

I have seen Apache Tears before, but never bought one - now I will! :D It will be very interesting to see what your experiences with the stone are :)

Empath111

Loved this post- thanks so much for writing. Never knew it was used as a surgical instrument. Very cool. I too have heard about black obsidian being very strong. So I only have a small piece- I don't carry in a pocket or anything- I keep it in a bowl with other crystals.
Love the crystal topics and great info.

Minotauro

so I started wearing my rather large obsidian pendant , it has a sheen of concentring circles , but Im not sure it is golden sheen , something between golden and silver.

you can kind of see it , here http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/296017_233909626662371_178323731_n.jpg

and
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...995690_100001300066551_577572_113341971_n.jpg

I had used it before and I loved it , but then came a time after wearing it for a long while in wich it started to have ... side effects , it kinda made me feel panicky and anxiety attack on the place it fell on my chest , it even made me itchy . I think it wanted out. looking back , I think it was telling me I rellied on it too much. and then I found it in the kitchen table without it leather strap.

and of course althouh I had not recorded everythin I fell at the time , I did feel change and energy.

i remeber whenever I wore it I walked a lkittle bit taller , with my chin a little bit higher , and wit more confidence. like I was not afraid anymore , not that I was afarid before , but that is the felling I remember.

Minotauro

glad you started this thread, Minotauro. I will be looking forward to your further posts...I just received a rather large Apache Tear the other day. It is quite beautiful and grounding. I am working right now with some higher vibration crystals, but will likely come back to this one for grounding work soon, so hopefully I will have some experience to add in the near future.
I have never even seen an apache tear in person , it is intriguing , they arent common in mexico , and I've heard it is not as harsh as obsidian , I'd like a natural one , not polished or anything.

I have never used high vibration crystals either :( haha

Minotauro......

YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! : )

I too will eventually come back to this thread and share my experiences.

For now I can say I have an obsidian palm stone that I have carried to work for protection. I didn't get any indication that it was too strong for me. Depending on how I hold it in the light one side has some golden streaks and the other side has what looks like a scarecrow (the face) Once I was staring at the face and it started to look like a young boy with a laurel wreath on his head : )

Anyway Minotauro I'm looking forward to reading your experiences : ) Thank you so much for joining in.
Im glad to see you're excited , I look forward to seeing how others wear it :) and obsidian as I mentiones is the one crystal you want to use for scrying , it is just perfect for it , so I think you should try and be open to recieving any messages from it , you never know what you could find out. your experience sounds very interesting and I'd like to see what else you see ;) haha

Hi Minotauro, glad to see you decided to jump on board! Thanks for the very informative post on obsidian, as I did not know much about it, frankly. I do remember I had a random unnamed god carved from greenish-black Obsidian, that my brother brought back from Mexico. I loved the stone but I was uncomfortable with the unknown god, so I donated the statue to the anthropology department of the university here. They liked it :)

I have seen Apache Tears before, but never bought one - now I will! :D It will be very interesting to see what your experiences with the stone are :)
haha yes well I just finished my last finals and jumped riht in ;P I have a small green aztec like person carved obsidian , it is noit necesarily a god , it could be a warrior or a king , but I get what you say I dont like it a lot either haha , but thats because it is kind of badly carved XD haha a cheap little trincket =P

Loved this post- thanks so much for writing. Never knew it was used as a surgical instrument. Very cool. I too have heard about black obsidian being very strong. So I only have a small piece- I don't carry in a pocket or anything- I keep it in a bowl with other crystals.
Love the crystal topics and great info.
haha thanks , Im glad it was interesting to somebody , I just wanted to keep some kind of record or written infor on it , Im kind of a square ._. haha Im wearing a big one but I love it , I just love it to bits :) its the only one I' could say I wear regularly. trhe other ones as you say are mixed together in a pouch , because I dont have a bowl haha

Empath111

haha thanks , Im glad it was interesting to somebody , I just wanted to keep some kind of record or written infor on it , Im kind of a square ._. haha Im wearing a big one but I love it , I just love it to bits :) its the only one I' could say I wear regularly. trhe other ones as you say are mixed together in a pouch , because I dont have a bowl haha

:D
Im square too - I'm also a "bird nerd". that's double square ..
LOL

Padma

Hmmm...if collecting crystals and connecting to the earth and to the Universe make one square and nerdy - count me in! :laugh:

Mino, interesting to see that you have an uncomfortable interface with your Obsidian statue as well....perhaps the stone does not actually like to be carved, or the images are not pure...I mean, maybe Obsidian is not associated with the god or warrior or king that it has been made into, and so the Obsidian is rebelling ;p I know mine felt extremely odd, and that is why I gave it away to a universtiy department!

Minotauro

Hmmm...if collecting crystals and connecting to the earth and to the Universe make one square and nerdy - count me in! :laugh:

Mino, interesting to see that you have an uncomfortable interface with your Obsidian statue as well....perhaps the stone does not actually like to be carved, or the images are not pure...I mean, maybe Obsidian is not associated with the god or warrior or king that it has been made into, and so the Obsidian is rebelling ;p I know mine felt extremely odd, and that is why I gave it away to a universtiy department!

you know what , that is very likely , there is only a couple of gods asociated with obsidian , and the statue I had didnt resemble it , and it is not asociated with royalty or anythig like that , you may be on to something , it also feels odd to me , I may work ith it later on to see what I feel. and how it is diferent to my regular one.