Tips on studying the Thoth

Probie

Grigori said:
A basic astrology book would help also.

I'm trying to find the balance here. Astrology is neat and can suck you in, which may not be a bad thing per se. However if you're looking at professional competency with Thoth Tarot versus marketing oneself as an astrologer, what are we talking about here?

Also...I did break down and ordered the ugly Golden Dawn Tarot. So I'll have that, the Thoth Tarot, Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot, 777, Book of Thoth, and Wang's book. What else is needed in that area?

Oh, yes a point on Book of Thoth. Even though it's esoteric stuff, Crowley is lucid which really helps. All you need is a bad writer and mystical material to make this all clear as mud. I find once you understand his taken-for-granted knowledge (the aeons, have a Tree of Life diagram to reference, etc.) it seems possible to make your first read through the book. It's kind of like the Bible or Quran or the Gita, the first time you read it is to learn how to read it. Subsequent times you get more with each time through...and also realize you know less and less each time through.

Grigori

Probie said:
I'm trying to find the balance here. Astrology is neat and can suck you in, which may not be a bad thing per se. However if you're looking at professional competency with Thoth Tarot versus marketing oneself as an astrologer, what are we talking about here?

Basic. If you can recognize the glyphs for the planets and signs, and have a vague idea of what each means in astrological work then you're flying. If you want to get really specific, some information on the decans will help also so you can recognize how the minors are related to the courts, are related to the majors etc.. . Nothing at all needed on drawing charts or such, though it can't hurt either.

Otherwise is seems like you've got a good place to start all sorted.

Probie

Thank you sir, that helps a lot! :D