Choosing between Rider Waite Smith editions???

Triet Pham

First, I'm a beginner. I am planning to purchase an RWS deck. My first deck is Paulina Tarot. Though beautiful it is, I unfortunately cannot read it properly. So now I'm putting it to hibernation and decide to start with an RWS deck for a sound base.
The point is, there are many varieties of RWS. I want a deck that is a little bit antique and the colours are not so bright. I'm considering between the original deck and the commemorative set. However, the original's images seem to be muddy and blurry with the line so thick (I saw it on the youtube review). Which of the RWS editions should I choose as a beginner? Can you recommend me? Any personal experience and comments on the RWS editions would help, especially the original and the commemorative set :) .
Please reply, thank you all!

foolMoon

I have a few different edition of RWS deck, but recently my favourites are the Giant RWS decks one printed in Belgium and the other one in Italy.

They are truly giant, and it is great to read looking at every tiny detail of the original RWS images.

Printed in Italy edition has more vibrant colours, but modern font, the Belgian edition has the original font but slightly dull colour on the image.

gregory

You may find this thread useful...

also this one

If I had to get JUST ONE I would go for the Commemorative, myself.

Being a beginner makes no difference here, I think !

truelighth

I would either go for the commemorative (having more of an authentic feel) or the regular RWS. Most of the other recolourings are... sorry to say, cheesy or badly done. I also think the Universal is taking away from the beauty of the normal RWS.

Triet Pham

yep, I opt for the one-deck-only kind now (my local shop is so expensive :( ). By the way, are the commemorative set's images blurry or do they contain thick lines like the original? And does this deck have the problem with the copyright being printed on the cards?
Thank you for your advice so far :).

Curious Dragon

After using the University Press edition for years, I just got the Commemorative Set. I really, really love it. The colours are beautiful and I can see so many details that didn't come through in my older deck. I think you can buy the deck by itself as the Centennial Tarot, but the set is a really good deal.

Richard

......Which of the RWS editions should I choose as a beginner? Can you recommend me? Any personal experience and comments on the RWS editions would help, especially the original and the commemorative set :) .
Please reply, thank you all!

I think you would like the PCS Commemorative set or the Smith-Waite Centennial (which is supposed to be the same deck without the additional materials). The colors are subdued and the lines are sharp and clear. It is by far my favorite RWS.

Jeff0253

I just ordered the Commemorative set. Amazingly inexpensive when you consider what you're getting. She was a wonderful representative illustrator of her era, much like Aubrey Beardsley or the amazing line drawings you see in old copies of The Strand magazine.