cinnamon

celticnoodle

This is the time of year when cinnamon gets very popular. I love the taste and the aroma of cinnamon and always have.

A friend recently was asking me if I knew where to get some good cinnamon oil--something that was very aromatic. I always buy it at a store near me, but this friend lives in another state, so I wasn't much help. But, it got me to thinking about cinnamon and all of its great qualities. So, I googled for cinnamons benefits and boy, was I surprised at how versatile good cinnamon really is!

Thought I'd share the site with you-

https://draxe.com/health-benefits-cinnamon/

So, now, I'm anxious to get to that store to get some good cinnamon oil that is edible. :) I have already picked up some of Yankee Candles cinnamon candles to burn and make the house smell delicious. Anyone else use and like cinnamon and/or know of any other ways to use it?

Disa

I buy cinnamon brooms at the grocery store every fall and put them around the house. They smell divine. I also put cinnamon in my coffee every morning.

GotH

<raises hand>

Yes! I :heart: everything cinnamon. This is definitely the time of year for it to present itself everywhere. I buy cinnamon besoms for the entrance of my home and I also have a cinnamon scented wax melt light that makes the house smell like a bakery. I love it but I'll be honest and say that I don't consume it as much as maybe I should now that I've read the benefits of this spice. Maybe a bit in hot chocolate here and there and in eggnog. It really does make sense that it would be so good for you considering the scent is so alluring. Perhaps it's natures way of getting you to eat it because it's so good for you. :D

Sorry I don't have much to offer you as far as uses but I am with you in appreciation. :)

celticnoodle

I buy cinnamon brooms at the grocery store every fall and put them around the house. They smell divine. I also put cinnamon in my coffee every morning.

ah, yes! the cinnamon brooms. Unfortunately, they can be a bit too powerful for both the hubby & I and send us both into asthma attacks. :( We had them a few times in past years, always hoping that we can adapt to them. The last time we tried was just a few years ago and we ended up having to put it in the garage, I think it was for a long while till the cinnamon began to finally go away, before I could bring it back into the house.

<raises hand>

Yes! I :heart: everything cinnamon. This is definitely the time of year for it to present itself everywhere. I buy cinnamon besoms for the entrance of my home and I also have a cinnamon scented wax melt light that makes the house smell like a bakery. I love it but I'll be honest and say that I don't consume it as much as maybe I should now that I've read the benefits of this spice. Maybe a bit in hot chocolate here and there and in eggnog. It really does make sense that it would be so good for you considering the scent is so alluring. Perhaps it's natures way of getting you to eat it because it's so good for you. :D

Sorry I don't have much to offer you as far as uses but I am with you in appreciation. :)
oh, the besoms sound nice! As for consuming it for all those benefits, I am the same. I do absolutely LOVE cinnamon tea though and while I do have cinnamon tea bags, I think I will go buy some fresh cinnamon tea. I use to till the tea shop went out of business and oh it was divine! There is a Chinese Tea Shop near me, but I haven't ever been inside the place. I think its time to investigate this place now. :)

I am particularly interested in using the cinnamon and honey for my skin care. I do currently use coconut oil and olive oil--both which works great for me, but I'd like to try the cinnamon and honey concoction as well. something a bit different.

Smiling

I'm another cinnamon lover and, like Disa, I put it in my coffee every morning, too. :thumbsup: I find that it cuts the acid in the coffee, just makes it taste better, really!

After looking at your link that lists so many health benefits, I'm inspired to look for some more products like the candles and oil. The brooms sound great, but probably couldn't get them just yet since our dog is still pretty young and may end up chewing them up. :D

Darkmage

I burn it for a money drawing incense. It smells great, with a smokey edge the oil lacks. I use it like makko powder so it doesn't even need charcoal.

I love cinnamon candy, too. The candle smell tends to burn out too quickly unless it's mixed with other things, like pumpkin spice. However, the oil is volatile and works well with diffusers.

I stay away from the cinnamon brooms. My grocery has them right at the entrance. I'm not kidding, I can smell them from 150 feet out. I'm asthmatic too and I don't want the chemicals in the brooms triggering an attack and/or a migraine. NO FUN.

Cinnamon and pine together scream 'winter' to me.

banbha

Another Cinnamon lover here. :)

I have a pumpkin pie spice smoothie almost everyday not just for the yumm; but for the health benefits. I love cinnamon tea too.

Even though they are across the country from me, I order cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice by the pound (cinnamon lasts forever if not ground) l from Mountain Rose Herbs. I cannot recommend them highly enough!

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

My favorite cinnamon for medicinal and taste is Ceylon which is healthier than the more common Cassia:

http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/ceylon-cinnamon.html

Starshower

Oh dear, there must be something very wrong with me. I really hate the stinging smell of cinnamon but desperately wish I didn't! It is really SO good for us, I know, and I really WANT to enjoy 'the scents of Autumn' ... but that harsh, loo-cleaner-like, bitter, disinfectant, medical (or dentists')-like smell almost hurts the back of my throat and makes me feel scared & sick.
How can I get over this awful reaction? I love other spices! :(

Seriously - is there a way to re-train one's reaction & de-sensitise revulsion to pleasure? I love the whole IDEA of cinnamon!

banbha

Starshower, you might want to try ground Ceylon cinnamon.

It is more subtle, it's milder, and slightly sweeter than the traditional cassia. If it's not in the spice section, it might be in the organic section of your market.

celticnoodle

I burn it for a money drawing incense. It smells great, with a smokey edge the oil lacks. I use it like makko powder so it doesn't even need charcoal.

oh! another WONDERFUL use for cinnamon. I'll have to try this and see if it works for us too. :) Thanks for this, Darkmage!

I love cinnamon candy, too. The candle smell tends to burn out too quickly unless it's mixed with other things, like pumpkin spice. However, the oil is volatile and works well with diffusers.

yes, me too. I LOVE the hard cinnamon candies. I am always buying them when I see them.

I stay away from the cinnamon brooms. My grocery has them right at the entrance. I'm not kidding, I can smell them from 150 feet out. I'm asthmatic too and I don't want the chemicals in the brooms triggering an attack and/or a migraine. NO FUN.

Cinnamon and pine together scream 'winter' to me.
yes, exactly. I wish they weren't SO strong, but when we get them, (usually as a gift), we hang them in the garage till they 'air' out a lot and hten bring them into the house. Our garage isn't attached to the house, and is quite large, so its not quite as bad really.