Nevada

More Please!

Chronata,

I absolutely adore your Empress.

Nevada

baba-prague

Chronata said:
All right already!
At first I was worried because I am an outsider artist. Not a fine artist, but more like a folk artist. I have had absolutely no training and everything I do is self-taught. .

I wouldn't worry about this at all. One of my favourite artists is a friend who had similar issues about her lack of training - and in fact has sold through major London galleries, had her work used on several advertising campaigns and is much collected. In fact, your work and hers are a little alike - she tends to use fantasy and Alice in Wonderland themes though.

Your Empress has a real "feel" all of its own. I think this will be a beautiful deck.

Please tell us more about your work as a puppeteer. Puppets are a big part of Czech traditional culture and I began to get very interested after visiting a puppet museum at Cesky Krumlov - south of Prague. Some of the older puppets are stunning, but there also seem to be some very interesting modern makers here too.

In our new deck three of the cards include puppets (possibly a fourth but not sure yet). In Tarot of Prague, there are only two puppets used - in one of the Death cards, and in the Ten of Wands. Looks like they are finding their way into our work more now!

lark

Chronata you little devil })
You asked me if I was doing a deck and here you are with your very own and you never said a word...
Well, I'd buy it in a New York minute.
Absolutly charming.
And your idea of it telling a story of each guests arrival and what happens at the Masquerade really appeals to me.
I love that idea!
Show us more...Show us more.

snuffy

*thud*

(yes, that would my jaw dropping on the floor ;))

your empress is an absolutely gorgeous card; i cannot wait to see more from this deck!

Chronata

Wow! (blush!)
I didn't expect such wonderful reviews!
Thank you everyone! :D

to respond to those who sent me PMs about the medium...

I call myself a starving artist, which really means that I can't afford to spend a lot on art supplies! So cheap, recycled and/or free is how I have to work it!

The cards are 5 1/2 X 9 1/2 pieces of scrap press board that my husband got for me when he temped at a paper supply warehouse.
I use the inexpensive craft store acrylic that comes in the little bottles. (usually 49 cents)
The titles are run off on my computer on parchment paper, then painted, cut out and "cut and pasted " to the painting the old fashioned way (because I still can't figure out these dreaded photo and print shop programs!) before scanned into the computer.

Here's a peek at the Moon...the card that has been an endless source of frustration for me! (which I suppose is the Moon's job)
It has been repainted about half a dozen times now!

The dog in the card is named Toby, and will appear in the Fool, as well as a few other cards. He is either the storyteller or the protagonist of the story...I am not sure which one yet!

As far as the suits go, each suit will be represented by a different mythical kingdom that is invited to the ball. Each will have a very different costume style based on historical and regional costumes from around the world, with a bit of fantasy thrown in!

The suits break down as follows:
Cups=Glass
Wands=Light
Swords=Blades
Pents=Jewels

The courts will be:
King=Lord
Queen=Lady
Knight=Prince
Page=Child

Here's the Moon...

Attachments

• mmmoon.jpg
    mmmoon.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 541

snuffy

i love the whimsical feeling-- it'll sure be interesting to see the death card with this theme.

skytwig

FANTABULOUS!!!!!

Oh my goodness....... what a wonderful deck!!!!!

You are gifted! Thanks for sharing your gift with the world! :)

spoonbender

Oh Chronata, those cards are beautiful! They are absolutely charming! They really have a "feeling" to them, chemistry, if you know what I mean. I hope you'll continue with this, you truely have a talent!

Warm regards,
Spoonbender

mercenary30

One Question.

Where does the line start for placing Pre Orders......cause I want in!!!!

This is fabulous work Chronata.

Chronata

All my work is on the whimsical side! my business is called "Professional Dreamer" and my business card says "Art Mercurial".

This is a bit of a departure for me, because I rarely do any painting on flat 2-D surfaces. My painting is usually done on walls, furniture, glass candle holders...everything put paper!I like to work in three dimensions, and I like my art to be usable, or interactive in some way. I love the idea that when these become actual cards that they will become usefull and highly interactive!

To Mercenary30...Thanks for the praise! I feel bad because I am working on this at the moment, instead of your tarot bag! It's just because everything that could go horribly wrong with making that bag is happening! I promise you that I will get back to working on it again! I am taking a break from the frustration.

To snuffy...the Death card is one of the ones that I am working on now. (simultaneously with the Devil, and the Lovers) It promises to be very theatrical...along the lines of the Masque of the Red Death. It's one of my favorites so far!

To LeCorsair...no Lafitte, but my love of all things piratical promises that there will be a few swashbuckling Buccanears lurking in this deck. I know there's one in the Court of Blades, and perhaps in the Court of Glass...and possibly the Chariot as well.

To Baba Prague... It's funny that you mentioned your artist friend has a similar style! A lot of my own work depicts Alice in Wonderland,(my favorite thing to collect!) and fantasy themes, too.
Puppets have fascinated me since I was very small. I love the folk puppets made by different artists and storytellers from all over the world! There will definately be some depicted in this deck.
I have a couple of hand puppets that I believe are Czech, and they are just beautiful! One of my silly dreams is to someday be involved in opening a national American puppet museum! There are a few small puppet institutes in the states at various college campuses, but nothing that really shows the extent of the wonderful puppets used in the American media, such as television!
I could talk about my love of puppetry forever!

But...um...back to my deck....
Here's the Sun.
It was done in two hours, as I was taking a break from the other cards in various stages of completion. However, I think it was rushed, and I would like to do more work on it before I would really call it finished.
here's a sneak peek...

Attachments

• mmsun.jpg
    mmsun.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 481