Spreads #1: 3 Card Spread pt. 2

Thirteen

The first spread is the simplist and most well know. A three card spread. The first thing I want you to do is create a little ritual for yourself. How and where you want to sit, where you want to set out the cards (on the floor? Table? A silk cloth? Your choice). Do you want "extras" (a candle for example?).

Find a "ritual" that makes you comfortable, and in touch with yourself and the cards. Relaxed and confident. Even excited.

Now, for this lesson to work, I need you to pick a querent; NOT someone actually there. A "pretend" querent. Pick someone you know, but don't know well. Someone you work with, or are distant friends with, the bus driver you see daily, the person who cuts your hair.

You see, No one does readings in a vaccum. We do readings FOR PEOPLE. And who they are, what they do, helps inform us as to what the cards might be saying. So you need a "dummy" querent for this reading.

Ok. Imagine this person has come to you to ask "What's going on in my life this month?"

Special note: Remember that most spreads predict only about a month in advance, excepting "year" spreads which predict the year. No spread will tell you what's going to happen much farther in the future than that.

Remember also that what's being "predicted" is something from the outside that will come into the person's life. How they handle it is up to them. So you might say, "you'll be offered a new job," but you can't predict if the person will take that job. You can, however, given the card, advise the person, if they ask, as to whether taking the job will *likely* do them more good than harm.

How to do a spread:

Decide on a set number of times to shuffle the deck before you do any spread. This will help you relax, get in the mood, and get the "flow" of energy thought the cards. It should be more than 3 shuffles. This is for you, the reader, to "loosen up" the deck.

After shuffling, take a moment to press the deck between your palms. Some readers say a prayer, some imagine a glowing light, some just close their eyes and take in a deep breath. Feel the energy, the power around you, through you, and in connection to the deck.

Now comes the shuffle for the actual reading. For that, shuffle until you feel ready. When it comes to an actual reading for another person, you'll want to decide if the cards will then be handed over to the querent or if you'll shuffle for them for the querent. This is a very personal decision and yours alone to make (some readers don't want anyone touching their decks, others feel it essential that the querent put their energy and question into the deck--up to you). But, once again, the cards get suffled until you, or the querent feel ready.

Set down the cards and cut them once with your "odd" hand (again, you'll decide when the times comes if the querent should do this, or if only you touch the deck). That is, if right handed, cut with the left . If left, cut with the right. The odd hand is the one with the "unconscious" or instinctive energy.

Off the top, flip three cards. Left, middle, right. Now remember that in this case, you're just learning. The cards know this, and so the reading *doesn't mean anything*. It's just a teaching, a "run-though".

Left is past (a recent situation they've just left behind or finished with)

Middle is present (what the situation is now)

Right is future (what the situation will likely be in the near future, i.e., within 30 days)

Keep in mind WHO YOU ARE READING FOR! And look at all three together as well as seperately. There should be a connecting thread between them, however thin. Consider also what suit they are, which ones are major arcana. Major Arcana carry more weight. One suit, or two of one suit, may will weigh things in the direction of that subject (cups for love, for example).

Now tell us who you're reading for, and how you interpet the cards you got. Remember, there are no right or wrong answers. I want everyone to help out everyone on this.

Go for it!

bec

Well, of we go then :)

I´m thinking of one from these forums, I´m not gonna say who though, maybe that someone will regonize it and tell us.

The resent past has been with no greater movements or events, you have therefore taken the time to relax and seek within. You knew even then when not expanding you were in the middle of a change. I sence you´ve spend the time creating a project in your mind. This time might have been included with some very strong dreams.(while asleep)
The present is much more moving. There´s a certain switfness in your life, things are changing, you´re in the middle of creation. There are things in your life you´re ruling out at the moment, they will be taken care of, once you´re done with this project.
In the near future, you will realize that this project you´re working on is telling everything about you there is to be said. You have been given the tools by natural inherent and now come to full realizing that they obey every command from your mind. The project seems to be a future business and a work of art.

That´s it, I´m using shapeshifter 1)the shapeshifter(hanged man) 2)change (2pentacles) and 3)sorcerer (magician)

So tell me, anyone feel "read" ? :)

Thirteen

Seems like an excellent read to me! Wonderfully clear and focused.

I think the only thing you might consider adding (and it depends on who you're reading for) is that the Two pentacles leading to Magician could mean moving from creator to creator/salesman, talking folk into buying what you've made.

But that only works if you know that you're querent likes to talk and is good at talking.

bec

*bec is doing a victory dance with her head bangin like crazy* YES YES YES YES .....

Thirteen, I can´t tell how glad I am, that you reconized your reading, yes I was thinking of you, and no I don´t know if you like to talk alot or not - I know you´re a writer and that doesn´t give a lot of clues of talking skills.
My background for the reading was name:thirteen age 30somewhat, occupation:writer and ofcourse the *most* important thing of all - your soul put into these basic threads.
The cards indicate that you´re creating something magical and that it will be of great business to you.........
Enjoy the process Thirteen :)

Kaz

On with my spread then, I did this one for a female person who trains with me at the policedog club. I do know her, but not really good.

Cards I got were:
Magician || King of Wands (fire) || World

In this spread the King of Fire rules, supported by the inspiration and will-power of the Magiacian, and the the completion provided by the World.
Ideas are being well-thought through and have direction (Magician-past), the actions taken from there are strong-minded and under control (King of Fire-present) and they will lead to lasting results (World-future).
Problems might arise in this situation because the King of Fire lacks compassion and this is not balanced but strengthened by the Magician and the World.
So I expect some ruthless action without consideration of feelings and emotions of other people.

Hmm, it's really general what I came up with....

Nice reading above here Bec !!!

Kaz

fairyhedgehog

Okay, I did what you said :)

I used Whimsical Tarot, and spread the cards for someone I work with. I got the Page of Swords (spyglass), Death (Sleeping Beauty) and the Four of Swords (Princess and the Pea). I was a bit thrown, because in the Whimsical Tarot the Four of Swords is so much more negative than in Rider Waite with all the implications of stress, worry, sleepless nights etc.

The basic plot seems to be, there has been some deceit in the recent past and now the querent is in a time of change. It feels like death and it is hard to see that things will get better. In the immediate future, things will continue to be worrying for a while.

So how closely would I link this to the person's life? My guess is it is about teenage children causing worries, and it feels like it won't get better any time soon. (I'd rather not say more on a public board.)

I'm really struggling here. Help?

Regards,

FH

Thirteen

bec (11 Dec, 2001 16:59):
*bec is doing a victory dance with her head bangin like crazy* YES YES YES YES .....

Thirteen snaps on a lighter and holds it up in homage to bec.

:D yes, well, I suspected and it's dead on, isn't it? And that after all my protests that this was just going to be just a simple learning spread. Can't fool the Tarot.

And I mean that, you really can't. Cause you see, I've been working on, adjusting and, yes, juggling a project for a while now, wishing and hoping I could finally get it out the door and "sell it." So I'm delighted to hear that that's going to happen soon. And yes, it has to do with writing. Magician is real clear on that isn't he? If there's a patron of writing in the Tarot, he's it.

You're good.

Thirteen

To Kaz & Fairyhedgehog

Kaz (11 Dec, 2001 20:02):
Ideas are being well-thought through and have direction (Magician-past), the actions taken from there are strong-minded and under control (King of Fire-present) and they will lead to lasting results (World-future).

Wow, really powerful cards you got there Kaz--and a really strong reading. I'm on the other side of a computer and I can feel the energy :) No wonder you put the King of Wands as in control, even though he's a court card between two Majors. I especially like your assesment that the Magician is aiding and abetting. Really excellent.

Fairyhedgehog
So how closely would I link this to the person's life? My guess is it is about teenage children causing worries, and it feels like it won't get better any time soon.

I'm really struggling here. Help?

Struggling, really? It sounds to me like you're very much on the right track. I mean, even to using the Whimsical tarot, which, from the sound of it, was the right deck for the right person.

I'd say you were very right about the teenager. The page of wands can be a real problem kid, telling lies, spreading computer viruses, or just saying nasty things to people. And (with no offense intended toward the very superior and totally mature teens on this board) there's no time when a kid can be more verbally obnoxious toward their parents than when they're a teen, right?

So I'd say your reading is absolutely right. A teenage son/daughter has said something hurtful to this person and/or caused them other problems. Said things to people that they shouldn't, run up a phone bill, etc. It's put the person, at present, in a bad state. As you say, feeling like death. Given the "sleeping beauty" card, he/she might feel like they just want to sleep for a hundred years, escape from it all. Unfortunately, as you point out, the near future predicts only sleepless nights. No shutting down the worry.

Sounds like a good solid read to me. You don't need to worry that you're missing anything or that there might be more to it. A 3 card spread is a simple spread for a quick and simple reading. You did just right.

fairyhedgehog

Thanks, Thirteen :)

When I read what you had written, it sounded spot-on for what I know about the situation. Which feels very strange to me.

All the best,

FH

bec

Thirteen,
I agree The Magician is the writer in Tarot, AND the funny part of it, is that the first thing in The Sorcerer that catched my eyes was the open book on his table, a bible or otherweise holy/magick book - but I couldn´t just spill out that you were writing, then you would have known it was you even if the spread didn´t come through.