negative aspects of the Thoth deck..

Aeon418

Approaching the Thoth after working with sugary-sweet decks is a little bit like cutting back on the sugar in your coffee. At first it tastes awful, and you think you will never get used to it. But you do. And you feel better for it in the end.

Detox with the Thoth. :thumbsup:

ravenest

Oooo, coffee is a bit 'dark' too.

Thats a good analogy, also, without the sugar one gets the REAL taste of the coffee ;)

Atcandela

Aww everyone, I greatly appreciate the feedback about this.
Yes, sugary coffee and sweets no more when coming to the Thoth deck!
I suppose the stark nature of what I'm sensing from the Thoth is subconscious
and psychologically based, which my intuition becomes further heighten in lieu of this.

VERY interesting to hear that the RW deck is seen as more negative than the
Thoth! For some reason, I feel that seeing those swords in precarious scenarios, or any other graphic negative image in the RW deck, is showing the
real/obvious meaning of the card.
As opposed to the Thoth where the images are abstract and not so "obvious"
leaves me with a sense of uncertainty about the card's meaning.

I'm realizing as I type this is that it appears the issue of "abstract imagery"
is what's throwing me off as I learn more about the Thoth..
a visually intense cerebral deck in it's own right.
And this I welcome as this will allow my mind to think in a different form of logic.. beyond a visual one.

Does that make sense? :)

nicky

Atcandela said:
... For some reason, I feel that seeing those swords in precarious scenarios, or any other graphic negative image in the RW deck, is showing the
real/obvious meaning of the card.

Not necessarily.

That is just one frozen in time version of the energy of the card. Thoth will allow you to explore more possibilities IMHO.

sapienza

I agree with Nicky. The Waite deck only depicts one example of what the card can mean. I find it very restrictive. Also considering Waite has also incorporated Etteilla's meanings I think some of the depictions are a fair way off the 'real' meaning if you are going by Book T and the Golden Dawn. For example the Six of Cups is the 'Lord of Pleasure'. Etteilla connected this card with 'the past'. In the RWS deck both these themes have been incorporated in the image. Rarely in modern books do I see anything regarding this card which links it to pleasure, which is in Golden Dawn terms the 'real' meaning. I really do think when you start to let go of the 'frozen in a single moment of time' style images from the Waite deck you open up to a whole world of possibilities - it's very liberating. Just my thoughts again, for what it's worth. :)

ravenest

Atcandela said:
what I'm sensing from the Thoth is subconscious
and psychologically based,

Yes, which IMO is exactly the reason some find it dark, threatening and uneasy, etc. It would be interesting to collate those who feel comfortible with the deck and those who do not with their dreams and rate of frequency of 'nightmares'.

I fully agree with N's and S's comments above. The 'abstract' is less restrictive. I always liked the feel of a temple that just fades off into darkness in stead of illumined walls, if one cant actually see where the wall is or the floor meets the wall then the imagination makes much better 'scenery' than I could devise.

I had to make a real effort to modify RW card meanings in light of unusual aspects but never had that prob with Thoth.

Professor X

Another thing about the Thoth is this.

Yeah it can have a dark quality to it BUT NOTHING IS AS GOOD AS GETTING A POSITIVE READING FROM THE THOTH. If you get some really good cards then rest assured that you will have growing forces come into being in your life. Yes it may be dark in some respects but the good aspects shine through very well also.

Atcandela

I'm just now rebalancing my spirit after this recent illness.
Feeling stronger and less "shadowy" in spirit.
With a different perspective now, I see the Thoth as a means of
understanding the relationship of light with the dark.

I'm still reading through Duquette's Understanding the Thoth, and this has
helped but my "uncertainty" at ease when using the deck; of which I haven't.

Interestingly, I have never seen myself "prepare" for a deck such at this one.
This deck I'm approaching in a "formal" manner! :0

Cerulean

Shaken, not stirred...

I am enjoying my 2008 Weiser printing of the Book of Thoth describing the Five of Wands as the personality "Lord of Fire" governed by two beings. Just prior to that paragraph the components of a "Dry Martini" is described. The Dry Martini is an example as a composition of various elements that becomes a single compound and also a harmonious composition of the varied elements.

Ah, I thought, as I read on. Crowley describes the cards if looked at in passive divination, one might identify a fight; if used actively, then the proper way to think of this is to "contend". Crowley says if one further wants to communicate with the Intelligence concerned regarding this card--Crowley describes these beings as "Angels" and notes there are two beings for the 36 decans--during the hours of Light and Dark.

In terms of the five of wands or the Lord of Strife, the silly image of James Bond kind of intelligence came into mind, as the Dry Martini was freshly shaken into my Friday frame of mind.

I am bookmarking my place in this rich text and will return. I want to have time to savor and absorb (not imbibe) the contents too literally. It takes a bit of time, but the bits that strike one through the book is full of wonder. And humorous as well.

I am glad I read Crowley and GD bios and have enjoyed the Thoth deck designs previously.

Cerulean