Llewellyn or Weiser Thoth? Which is more common?

gregory

My Weiser edition seems to have been the first as it was bought before anyone else even claimed to have one out there.... It is the one listed as White box A on TG.... No squiggley bits on the borders which are completely plain blue.

fyreflye

gregory said:
My Weiser edition seems to have been the first as it was bought before anyone else even claimed to have one out there.... It is the one listed as White box A on TG.... No squiggley bits on the borders which are completely plain blue.

Exactly when and where was it purchased?

gregory

In Toronto, in the very early 70s. This is on a thread somewhere. Where I think we sorted out the order of editions - Jeannette's page is pretty good on that.

PS from Lillie on a thread - and she is rock solid on all this:
Lillie said:
The Weiser in the 2 part box (the vintage one) is from 69, (or early 70's. I don't know if there was more than one printing or whatever)

The Weiser in 78 was the same as the USG greenie.
They were put out together, and then redone together in 83. (though I don't know what the difference between 78 and 83 is. The later ones just have both dates)

The LWB for my greenie says something about being published in association with Weiser.

It's a damn shame there is no dates on the early ones.

The one she first mentions is the one I have.

Have a look at this thread.

kingsofsleep

I personally prefer the AG Mueller (Swiss) version..the colors are much more vibrant.

Embla

Does anybody know how many copies were distributed approximately of these three early versions?

Also I am curious about three cards in my US Llewellyn edition that seem more faded and muted than others; 6 of disks, 3 of disks and 3 of swords. These three card look like they have been put in a shop-window exposed to direct sunlight for 20 years... Just wondering if anybody else´s cards look like that or if it´s just mine.

gregory

See the other threads. Everyone has had this experience with various cards in the earlier printings; the quality control was just dodgy !

I don't think anyone knows quantities. I thinkm in those days people (including publishers) weren't as concerned with counting everything. They weren't limited editions in any sense, at least.

Dean

*embla* said:
Also I am curious about three cards in my US Llewellyn edition that seem more faded and muted than others; 6 of disks, 3 of disks and 3 of swords.

My Llewellyn usa edition have the same faded prints as you mention above, like someone as said these first editions were never perfect in print and was in publication for about 7-8 years before it stopped in 1978 when the usgames greenie was then available.

embla, if you also look at your Ace of Disks card let me know if yours is printed the wrong way up, this was another mistake on the Llewellyn usa edition.

Embla

Yes Dean, my ace of disks is printed the wrong way up, how funny! I never noticed that until you mentioned it and I compared it to online scans!

If these early editions were in print during the span of 7-8 years, does that mean that there were also first and second printings of them, or were they just distributed in one big batch that lasted all those years??

Dean

embla
My guess is that there were first and second printings between the Weiser and Llewellyn decks, what i'am being told by people who have both the Llewellyn US edition and the later Hong Kong edition is that the later one didn't have these mistakes added, but i would still like to find out by comparing these together i haven't come across a Llewellyn HK edition as yet.

Abrac

From what I understand, the Hong Kong edition is made of flimsy, unlaminated stock. It stands to reason that if there is an edition that is more rare, it would probably be this one. These cards would have been more likely to get torn, creased, stained, and subsequently discarded.

Just a thought.

Abrac

This is fools_fool btw, in case anyone was wondering. Changed my alias. ;)