Tarot de Marseille - Marteau Grimaud, informations for collectors

"C"

Thanks for the Links Moonbow...

Ive looked them over and found I knew some of them and some didnt work - what I saw was mostly about the color scheme - let me assure you that the different colors in those Tarot decks are highly overvalued - mostly they were used for decoration and/or even distraction...

The only one on the right path is Kenjy - I will look him up later when I have more time...

The important details are graphic ones - for example the two dices on the desk of the Magician showing the numbers 5 and 1 - but they are there for a whole other purpose as the one Kenjy points out in the ( translated ) post I read...

He is also right about the buttons on the reversed man`s jacket - they are very important (and they have to be divided in 6 and 3) - and for the two pockets on his jacket goes the same...
And when you look at his two "gallows trees" - there have to be six snags on each of them - in the exact shown position - and these posts have to be grounded in round mounds with flames in them and the right mound must have a shadow around the flames...

...and here for example you can see a nice example of "distraction by color"...

(on the other hand - the branch that he is hanging from has to be green - but what shade of green is really not important... )

...but the depiction in the mounds is nearly burried in the thick green color - so if one wouldnt know what to look for - it would be not detected...

One thing is important above all others - the rope doesnt really enclose the ankle of the reversed man`s foot...

There is so much more - maybe ill come back later...

C

"C"

Thanks for your answer coredil - I will look up what I can find and see what I can do with it...

I have to go now but Ill be back...

C

Rafaël

Arnoult Lequart - for the pleasure of sharing

Hi Coredil,

This thread is one of my favorite. Thanks a lot for the amazing info you shared here. It made it a lot easier for me to start collecting without making beginners mistakes.
Therefore it's a pleasure to be able to add some content here and to share a few images of the Arnoult Lequart:

TdBArnoultLequartLEMAT-LEMONDElow.jpg

My deck is a Besançon one, apart from L'IMPERATRICE & L'EMPEREUR the cards are the same as the TdM Lequart.

Cheers,
Rafaël

teomat

Going by the wealth of detail in this wonderful thread, I guess I know the answer to this already...

Is there an easily available version of this deck which is smaller than 120cm in height? I have the mini deck (number 7), but was wondering if there's anything slightly larger (but not the 120cm size, which seems to be the only option)?

TdM lover

Prices of Grimaud Red Box on ebay...

Hello TdM fans,

I guess I'm not the only one who's amazed by the price some people ask for some decks, but the third one in this list really blew my head off:

GrimaudRedBoxOpbodsmall.jpg

Maybe he accidently added a zero to much...

letranger

Marteau Book

Hi, first post here, although I've been reading the forum regularly. I just plunged and bought a Marteau book that was on eBay. The description claims that it is the 1949 edition - there is still a picture of the book on eBay with a shot of Le Bateleur. Any thoughts from the experts? Thank you.

Rafaël

Marteau

Hi stranger ;)

It would be easier if you gave a bit more info (like link to ebay page or so...), but I guess I know the book you mean 'cause Marteau only wrote one :)
Now dear sir, what exactely is your question, 'cause Tarot experts have a lot of thoughts about a lot of things ;)

Welcome to the club by the way,
Rafaël

letranger

Marteau book

Difficult to post link to eBay b/c I already purchased the book, and now I only have access to the info through My eBay. Anyway, I think this might be the 1949 version b/c the seller's description says: "There are paper prints attached to pages that look like they may be tarot cards" and "Book has a copyright date of 1949."

My first question (which I guess may be answered when I get the book): is this the actual 1949 version or were there later versions with glued in prints? I combed this thread for answers already. The bateleur card looks a lot like the 1981 version on the Flornoy site (but that was printed onto the book's page) however the bateleur's hat in in the book I just bought has green rather than blue.

My second question: how hard is it to find a 1949 version of the book?
thanks.

coredil

Congratulations letranger!
This is surely a very nice book.

It seems as if on each copy of Marteaus book, you can find a print date.
For example I have four copy of the book, each has a different date:
Mai 1949
20 September 1970
15 July 1977
29 March 1984

Of course the copyright for the book is always 1949.

My copy of the 1949 edition has glued cards on the pages.
The pictures are from the Marteau Grimaud deck.
Probably like yours.

The 1970 edition is somewhat specail as it has also glued cards, but the picture of the cards are exactly the same as the A. Camoin bi-centenary Edition of the Conver deck that Camoin produced about 1968 from the wood plates!
I also have a copy of this bi-centenary edition and thes are exactly the same pictures.
(I believe I once wrote a post about this but don't know where)

The 1977 and 1984 edition have both the pictures of the Marteau-Grimaud deck normally printed on the pages.
The 1984 edition has a yellow hardcover and a black dust jacket with the bateleur.

On the last printed page of the 1949 edition it says:

ACHEVÉ
d'imprimer, à Paris, en mai 1949, sur
les presses de la SOCIÉTÉ D'IMPRIMERIE
PARISIENNE. Les lames figurant dans
cet ouvrage ont été imprimées par
B. J. GRIMAUD
La couverture concue par REMY PEIGNOT
et gravée par GILBERT POILLIOT
a été tirée par l'IMPRIMERIE LA RUCHE
(A. et P. JARAGH)
Papier des PAPETERIES DE GUYENNE

EXEMPLAIRE

No 000883

It means that the book has been printed by the Société d'Imprimerie Parisienne
The glued cards have been printed by B. J. Grimaud
The cover has been printed by La Ruche.

So the printing of the cards is expressly mentioned.

I have no idea if there are copy of the 1949 edition with normal printed pictures.

The theory of Flornoy described here:
http://www.letarot.com/dossiers-chauds/heritiers-de-Nicolas-Conver/index.html
is quite interesting but as said before my copy with the same glued cards as shown on Flornoys site and dated with 1949 is from 1970!

Flornoy mentions the existence of a early edition from 1929 with glued cards from Camoin.
I would be really interested to see such a copy.

The hat of the bateleur is always green on each edition of the Marteau Grimaud deck.
On Flornoys site it seems to be blue but I guess this is only a technical scan thing.

To your second question: I have seen several times on ebay copy of the edition with the Marteau-Grimaud glued cards.
Not very often but several times, with the mention of glued cards.
I have the feeling that the edition with the Camoin-Conver glued cards does not appear very often ;)

Best regards

coredil

Rafaël said:
Hi Coredil,

This thread is one of my favorite. Thanks a lot for the amazing info you shared here. It made it a lot easier for me to start collecting without making beginners mistakes.
Therefore it's a pleasure to be able to add some content here and to share a few images of the Arnoult Lequart:

Cheers,
Rafaël

Thanks a lot Rafael for the wonderfull scans of your Arnoult Lequart!
Feel free to post more of them ;)
I would particulary love to see some minors, as they are different from the Grimaud deck.