Anyone heard of this "sword" spread?

nina

Hello,
I picked up a little bargain gift box at Border's (hey, it was only $4.99) with a little tarot deck and a book called "Tarot Basics" by Evilin(sic.) Burger and Johannes Fiebig. Their card interpretations seem a little out of left field, but there are about six pages of different spreads (please, a break from the Celtic Cross!). One of them is called "The Sword":

1.The heart of the matter
2.Your starting point
3.Your support/ base/ foundation
4.Your chance/ what will aid you
5.A problem that's being solved
6.A desire that's being fufilled
7.New knowledge and insights

It seems kind of strange to me to do a reading in the shape of a sword, and given the positional meanings, what sort of question would it be used for?
Has anyone else ever seen this one? What do you think of it?
-Nina

Sinta

I've seen this spread before but haven't tried it yet, so I cant give you much info on it ;) But I know a good few people use it to understand an obstacle and over come it. Well that's what I understand. It's written in my Das Falken Praxisbuch zum Waite-Tarot.

Kazz

Yes I know this spread. It is in a book I have by Evelin Burger & Johannes Fiebig.
I have use it once, and it's main use is for questions you may have regarding decisions.
I used it when I was having a hard time deciding what to do, and it worked quite well, although I had a little trouble with positions 5 & 6 (can't remember what cards i had) but I just can remember that I had trouble reading them in those positions.
I have tried it again without the decision making question, and it doesn't seem to work very well, so I think I will only use for it's main purpose.
I hope this helps you

Cheers
Kazz

:TQC

Trogon

Hi nina

I had seen this spread before, but like Sinta, I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. As for what type of problem or question you might want to use it for... I always thought that it would be good for the time when you needed to really "pierce the heart of the situation". A serious question where you needed to "cut through the knots of confusion". :D Okay... sorry, those sounded like bad puns... and to an extent were meant to be, but those actually were the thoughts that had occured to me the first time I saw the spread.

nina

Hello,
Trogon, whose afraid of bad puns? If the spread's worthwhile, I'll take a stab at it.
-Nina

meatbox666

LOL
I picked up the same bargain gift box. it had a Tarot basicss book to go with it. I have used the sword spread and I like the Ultimate Goal spread.

DarkElectric

I have this book, and I like it too.
Some of the spreads seem to sort of repeat themselves, and the names for the placement positions of the cards I sometimes find less than effective, but I've actually used the sword spread, and I like it. I like the "Ultimate Goal", and the "Question Game" spreads as well.

Lucas Prince of Cats

The sword spread!

Its funny, because I actually wanted to make an elemental spread, a combo of the heart spread, with three other spreads, pertaining to the suits, and it would be no question needed. For swords, I wanted to make it sword shaped, and I was thinking it would pertain to when someone is trying to find the asnwer or solution to a situation, project, or question(s).