15-card spread

Fitz

Hi all, I am new here, and just came back to tarot after doing a few spreads about 5 years ago. I guess I didn't realy feel up to handling the power I felt till recently <shrug>.

Anyway, I did, I think, my second spread with the Thoth deck and had a surprising reading. I am hoping, as you are more experienced than I (could hardly be less), you might help me understand it clearly.

I did the 15-card spread that was described in the booklet that came with the deck, 5 sets of three cards.

Am I correct in my understanding that:
1) the center set is the question/issue at present or that the reading is about.
2) the upper right set is what will happen with no change of course
3) the upper left set is what will happen with a change of course
--given that the upper right and left are at odds--
4) the lower left shows the impulse/psychology/issues behind the querry
5) the lower right shows...energies behind the scene, sort of the natural flow and suggestions on how to follow it
6) the center card of each set represents the querant (me) or issue at hand and the cards to either side modify/influence that center card.
?

The reason I ask, the reading seemed right on as to what I was asking about, and the impulses behind the issue. Also, the "current path" set equalled the best I have hoped for. And the "current path" set and the "behind the scenes"/"advice" set in themselves gave me part of what I had asked for, the more Light part of the issue.

I guess what I am wondering, is it sometimes right not to change? My question was _how_ to change and the cards, assuming I had the above assumptions correct, indicated that changing would be a bad idea; that change would lead to wish granted but dissapointing and/or wrong.

Thanks for any insight you can give me,
Fitz

Lillie

From what you have said, it seems to me that you have the layout pretty well discribed.
I have only seen this particular layout in that particular booklet. i have tried it on a few occassions and found it quite good, especially the way it can give 2 alternate futures.

As for your question about changing, I would say there are many occassions in life where it is good to keep things a they are, or allow them to follow their natural course, ie. going with the flow, rather than trying to make something happen.

You talk about changing as if it is always good, and not changing is always a bad thing. If I have understood this right I would like to know why you feel like this?

Of course, nothing stays the same, today ends and becomes yesterday, we move on, grow, change, alter, and it is wrong (and impossible) to try and prevent events/time from unfolding.
However, it seems perfectly alright to 'leave well alone' when things are going ok, allowing them to continue as they would without any interference.

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by change.
An example would be the ageing movie star who goes to great (and painful) lengths to keep her looks intact.
In one way she could be percieved as trying to remain the same, ie. trying not to change how she looks.
On the other hand she could be seen as attempting to alter the natural progression of her body as it moves through life. ie. trying to change how she looks.
So, is she changing, or not changing? It depends on how you see it.

In the end I would always agree with the old adage, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Wishing you well with your readings and your choices.

Lillie

poivre

I use this thread but not the Thoth deck.

At the end of the reading I put all the cards in a group and then
see what I have.
All Majors together
All elements in the minors together
Look also at repeated numbers
What's strong, what's weak, what's missing in the reading.

Sometimes I use an extra card for reversed cards. This way it
gives you extra information when you do the grouping of the cards.

Out of all the cards I have came up with only "one" card in lets say
one of the minor element cards.

This gives extra insight to the 15 card reading!

Fitz

Lillie said:
You talk about changing as if it is always good, and not changing is always a bad thing. If I have understood this right I would like to know why you feel like this?

Wishing you well with your readings and your choices.

Lillie

Thank you for your response and good wishes Lillie :)

About the changing...well, the reading seemed to indicate Knight of Cups is...who I should let myself be. I've always been the type to get very interested in something, then move on to something else in a month or so.

Most authority figures in my life have been uncomfortable with this, suggesting "Apply yourself", and "Don't be a jack of all trades and a master of none", and so on. All this gave me the impression they had a 'serve or die' outlook, one I couldn't share.

Anyway, lately I'm having one of my periodic "buckle down" moments and was wondering in which direction to apply myself for desired results. When the cards seemed to indicate I might best go as I normaly would, I was surprised.

I'm not sure how to convince others of this, so...guess I just do my own thing and hope they can accept.

Fitz

Fitz

ros said:
I use this thread but not the Thoth deck.

At the end of the reading I put all the cards in a group and then
see what I have.
All Majors together
All elements in the minors together
Look also at repeated numbers
What's strong, what's weak, what's missing in the reading.

Sometimes I use an extra card for reversed cards. This way it
gives you extra information when you do the grouping of the cards.

Out of all the cards I have came up with only "one" card in lets say
one of the minor element cards.

This gives extra insight to the 15 card reading!

Well, in the whole reading, I had:
Trumps: 4
Cups: 5
Wands: 3
Disks: 1
Swords: 2
Of the non-trumps, 5 were Court cards.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "elements in the minors". I know the court cards have elements (earth, water, wind, fire), do the number cards also have such?

I didn't see any repeated numbers.

And I'm not sure how to determine what is missing in the reading. How might I do this?

I didn't catch what you said about the reversed card in the groupings. I didn't use any reversed cards in my reading.

Fitz

poivre

elements- fire, water, earth & air

reverse cards- an option

Take out the Courts and put them in a group. This will show the people in
your situation. Then look at what you have left in the elements to see what's missing etc.

This is just my way of reading this spread. Others may have a different way.

Fitz

ros said:
This is just my way of reading this spread. Others may have a different way.

I had 2 Princess cards, and 1 of each other Court card.

I'm still not sure if the other suit cards (numbered) have elements, other than what is implicit in the suit itself, ex all cups are water etc.

So...what do you make of the split I mentioned in my previous message?

Fitz