Just bought the Thoth deck, Please help

Alpha-Omega

i mean Information on Each card and the meanings.

Netzach

Alpha-Omega said:
i mean Information on Each card and the meanings.

Oh right. For that you'd need a book. The Tarot Handbook seems excellent and it's not expensive. I bought a secondhand copy for under £6.

ZenMusic

A warning about the Tarot Handbook:: it completely throws out traditional interpretations of the Thoth, such as Crowley's descriptions in the Book Of Thoth, and in Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquette, and in Keywords for the Crowley Tarot by Hajo Banzhaf and in The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards by Akron. (all of these are highly recommended Thoth books)

, INSTEAD the author freely reinterprets the meaning of each card, most are totally different meanings compared to the other Thoth authors.. and often contradicts symbols specified by Crowley, so it is apparent she either never read ... or just disregards the BOT (it's fine she has her own intrepretation, it's just that I'd want to learn the base meanings first)

so i find the Tarot Handbook less that useful.. for me, a total waste of money and a loss of time.. i had to unlearn it (compounded because I bought the more expensive CD version.. gladly sell it) but it's easy to read and if you don't know what's missing, it would give an impression as a "great" book on thoth. I have read and compared every book available on Thoth and researched the magical, Cabalistic, astrological references etc.

why not learn from the athorities, Crowley, Duquette, and Banzhaf to get the initial understanding.. then go off and create your own if you prefer.
(you can get a comparison of various interpretations in the Tarot Dictionary and Compendium , but it includes RW, not just Thoth , so you need to filter it a bit)

If you learn the Thoth, you'll learn Tarot

Netzach

ZenMusic said:
A warning about the Tarot Handbook:: it completely throws out traditional interpretations of the Thoth, such as Crowley's descriptions in the Book Of Thoth,

Thank you. I didn't know that. Interesting, though, that it was highly recommended to me by someone who found it extremely useful. However, I have the Crowley book as well, so I can compare the two.

Sulis

Alpha-Omega said:
The thing i hate about Thoth is that unlike the R-W you cant find Info on Thoth online. why is that?

You can find lots of info on the Thoth card meanings on-line - you just need to know where to look.

Try these:http://www.tryskelion.com/tarotintro.htm - excellent site
http://www.angelpaths.com/working.html - click on each card to get an affirmation
http://www.supertarot.co.uk/lessons/03edrul.htm - loads of info on spreads, card meanings, elemental dignities - there's even a course.

Alpha-Omega

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!

Lillie

thinbuddha said:
You are way smarter than I am about this sort of thing

No, not at all.
Back then (early/mid 80's) there were no other books, or if there were, I never found them. This was before the internet, and every secondhand book shop was like a treasure trove just waiting to be unearthed.
I had other books on magick, chaos, a few basic ones on tarot, and the book of Thoth and the LWB, so I just made do.
If you read BoT enough it starts to make sense, or at least I thought it did sometimes.
One day I will get round to reading the other books on the Thoth. Stuff is so easy to find these days. It's sometimes hard to remember how it used to be.

Knightward

Since the minors are more a abstract art concept rather then scenic as in the Rider decks, how the card is layered, and colored are good starting points.

For Example, if you take the Five of Wands, you see four staves clashing with one stronger staff holding the other 4 down. The card is known as Strife. Clearly this indicates conflict, but the yellow (ideas, learning) background could be seen as conflicting Ideas put into action (Action being the trait Wands have).

The card is also defined by Saturn in Leo, and picks up traits of that Planet/Sign Placement.

Beyond that, if you look at the card the Staves are selected for a reason, and the Main Staff is seen in other cards which signify conflict of sorts (7 of Wands and The Devil come to mind). This symbolism is intentional, and explained somewhat in the Book of Thoth.

Finally, Being a 5, the Card shares with it aspects of being a Five in a Suit, which is conflict at its worse, or modification and Adjustment at its best.

As such, the deck is a incrediable design, but requires looking at and feeling as well as relation to concepts and color, rather then scenic events.

-Fenier

ravenest

Lillie said:
No, not at all.
Back then (early/mid 80's) there were no other books, or if there were, I never found them. This was before the internet, and every secondhand book shop was like a treasure trove just waiting to be unearthed.

If you read BoT enough it starts to make sense, or at least I thought it did sometimes.
QUOTE]

Ah, the good ol days! When you had to hunt and god-damn work hard to get the knowledge, the books, find a single soul to talk to about it who wouldn't think you were crazy! My first Crowley book was the Book of Lies, that was fun to start with. But you are right Lillie, just persevering eventually helps to breakthrough. or maybe one starts to accept it because it becomes so familiar?
(like after I saw 'Eraserhead' for the 6th time it started to make some sense) First time through its all a bit of a whirl, after a while some becomes familiar territory and we start to notice other details more, eventually we start to make out a vague picture and realise all these coloured odd bits are like a giant jig-saw puzzle.