What Are You Currently Reading?

EvaSegovia

The Castle of Crossed Destinies

From the back cover: "A group of travelers meet, first in a castle, then a tavern. Their powers of speech are magically taken from them, and instead they have only tarot cards with which to tell their stories."
It's written by Italo Calvino and translated from Italian. Had to place my own cards exactly in the order each traveler placed his in order to follow the stories... Complicated. But I have to say I'm loving it!

I have been working with Jodorowsky's way of the tarot for a couple months now. While I wasn't coming into it with no knowledge of the tarot it's not something I have done in some time and when I did it as a teenager my research wasn't exactly thorough so I'm kinda coming from a “newbie” perspective (also I didn't work with the Tarot De Marseilles) but not entirely There are a few minor issues I have with it but they don't negate the value of the book. Honestly, even with shortcomings (like some questionable historical “facts and the necessity to remember quite often that his opinions on every aspect of the cards meaning don't need to be yours) this is hands down the best book on the Tarot De Marseilles I have yet to find. This book is sometimes being accused as being difficult but I think more than that it is just arranged in such a way that the book works best by skimming through it first and then using each part of the book as a study guide to help you learn to use the Marseilles. It's not so much that it's a overly complicated or loaded with linguistic occultation but it's the kinda book you want to take notes on.

I also just finished Tarology by Enrique Enriquez which I really enjoyed but it didn't add much of anything to my knowledge of the Tarot (though I would highly suggest it if you feel your practices are calcifying / stagnating as it's a fun read and can offer some new perspectives and ways to look at the cards if you've been looking at them the same way for some time) . If this isn't the case I'd only really suggest buying it for its literary merit (which it has in spades, it's really a great book on its own merits), you can probably gain more functional insight into the tarot (if that's your goal) by buying a nice Tarot De Marseilles that you are unfamiliar with and study the deck without the help of a book withing thinking too much about esoteric symbolism and making some monogram word games with the names of the cards.

Carla

Tarot Triumphs by Cherry Gilchrist

Currently reading 'Tarot Triumphs' by Cherry Gilchrist. Not far into it yet. I didn't find mind much use in her imaginary parade of triumphs made up of tarot cards; I would have rather read about an actual progression of trumps from one of these processions, if records of any exist, or a detailed background for each of the trumps that we feel confident we know at least something about its evolution. I intend to read the whole book, though, so we shall see what I think by the end of it. :)

Carla

From the back cover: "A group of travelers meet, first in a castle, then a tavern. Their powers of speech are magically taken from them, and instead they have only tarot cards with which to tell their stories."
It's written by Italo Calvino and translated from Italian. Had to place my own cards exactly in the order each traveler placed his in order to follow the stories... Complicated. But I have to say I'm loving it!

Loved this book! I did the same as you, crawling around in the floor with a giant spread, muttering and checking the book. LOL

EvaSegovia

Hehehehehehe... Right!?!

EmpyreanKnight

Going back to the Thoth and re-reading Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Duquette. Did I miss so much on my first reading? Because I'm still learning new insights here.

ihcoyc

Currently re-reading The Discarded Image by C. S. Lewis. Excellent introduction to the medieval and renaissance picture of the world.

Denever

That's one of my favorite books. I wish it were better known -- and available in a Kindle edition.

I just finished Robert Place's "The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination." I'm very Waite-Smith-oriented but Place still managed to point out things on the cards that I've never noticed before.

Just started Spiritual Tarot - Seventy-eight Paths to Personal Development by Echols, Mueller, and Thomson.

Redfaery

I got a copy of A Wicked Pack of Cards, and it looks to be right up my street, but I haven't had much time to read it yet. :(

Rose Lalonde

A search about a symbol in cards led me in a roundabout way to a '40s Hungarian novel about alchemy -- The Red Lion by Maria Szepes, and I've had a hard time putting it down so far.