Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

magicjack

I've seen the thread on the Mystical Tarot and there's been mostly positive reviews and raves. I was wondering if anyone's had other experiences with the deck. I need some de-enabling from this deck, at least for the time being. Thank you!

I left a little short review in that thread about how I feel about this deck. I know everyone likes the quirkiness (for lack of a better word) in some of the cards. Most of the cards are actually beautiful. (sorry but it does deserve that much). I wish they would have left out the "quirkiness" and made all the cards beautiful and tradional, but they didn't. Go on YouTube, you can see all the cards. I've had it for 2 months and I'm not totally sold on it. I will keep working with it since I have it now. The borders do not bother me as much as other borders. To be honest, I bought it because it was so inexpensive at the time. Less than $15.00. Someone said the price went up. If you don't mind blowing 15 bucks get it but if they want more for it, it's probably a deck you don't need right now.

magicjack

Night Sun Tarot

I never liked this deck. BUT, I got it anyway! Please someone explain to me why I own it now and what I'm missing. Will I love it in the future?

G6

Night Sun Tarot

I never liked this deck. BUT, I got it anyway! Please someone explain to me why I own it now and what I'm missing. Will I love it in the future?

I don't know if you will love it in the future, but I traded it away early on and have never missed it. I sincerely hope I like Fabio Listrani's Santa Muerte Tarot better.

cosita

I left a little short review in that thread about how I feel about this deck. I know everyone likes the quirkiness (for lack of a better word) in some of the cards. Most of the cards are actually beautiful. (sorry but it does deserve that much). I wish they would have left out the "quirkiness" and made all the cards beautiful and tradional, but they didn't. Go on YouTube, you can see all the cards. I've had it for 2 months and I'm not totally sold on it. I will keep working with it since I have it now. The borders do not bother me as much as other borders. To be honest, I bought it because it was so inexpensive at the time. Less than $15.00. Someone said the price went up. If you don't mind blowing 15 bucks get it but if they want more for it, it's probably a deck you don't need right now.

Thank you! I think I'll sit back and look at it again in a month to see if I really want it.

Lain_82

Hello!

I need a bit of help deciding between 2 decks: the Tabula Mundi and the Tarot of the Holy Light. At the moment I would only have funds for one, but I can't decide! I'm looking for a... "meaty" type of deck, which pushes me out of my comfort zone and helps me to get started into the world of esoteric symbolism. If you could only get one of these, which one would you pick?

JylliM

Hello!

I need a bit of help deciding between 2 decks: the Tabula Mundi and the Tarot of the Holy Light. At the moment I would only have funds for one, but I can't decide! I'm looking for a... "meaty" type of deck, which pushes me out of my comfort zone and helps me to get started into the world of esoteric symbolism. If you could only get one of these, which one would you pick?

Hi, I have both decks. They are both visually appealing, but I would recommend Tabula Mundi in a heartbeat over Holy Light (although get Holy Light later if you can spare the funds!). The production values and artwork (original) are outstanding, and as an introduction to esoteric symbolism I don't think you could beat it. Buy the accompanying book, Book M: Liber Mundi, and you'll be off to a rip roaring start!

P.S. Both are available as Fools Dog apps, which include the books, in case you'd like a preview.

Nemia

Hello!

Tabula Mundi!!!! I had the Holy Light and swapped it away because it was unreadable for me (might buy the bw version though someday). The Holy Light is very harsh IMO, the book apodictic and the cards very beautiful but also very crowded and dense. They're collages from alchemical illustrations, beautifully done, but NO COMPARISON with M.M. Meleen's wonderful hand-made illustrations with their amazing personal creativity.

When you use collage material, you have to make it fit your ideas of tarot - and the fit is not always smooth. But when you start from scratch, you can compose the card you wish to see, including crazy symbols, modern symbols (that were not available in the Baroque period, like the DJ mixing table for TM Mercury), and Escher-like morphing of symbols (like the hand and snake in the TM Wheel of Fortune).

From an artistic point of view, there is no comparison between the two decks. the TM is so much more creative, original and thought provoking.

Now considering the content. The Holy Light is interesting in its non-GD astrological assignments and its strong emphasis on alchemy, no doubt. But the TM is more focused on kabbalah and astrology, and it uses the GD correspondences, which make it much more accessible.

The book by Payne-Towler is difficult to read and as I said above apodictic in tone - either you follow her or you're an ignoramus (that was my impression when I read it and I didn't finish it). Book M, on the other hand, is packed with information, is well-written and just FUN to read. You feel your synapses firing when you read it.

Payne-Towler has an agenda, and I'm not against it - I think her ideas about pre-GD tarot are worth reading and working with, and one day, I'll do it. But I find the TM so much more relevant and easier to read. It's packed with esoteric associations like a pomegranate, and they're enjoyable like a pomegranate. Book M doesn't feel as though the author wants to set everybody else right, she compares her deck with others withouth telling you what's wrong or right.

Reading with the Holy Light, I could hardly make sense of the cards (which is totally my own problem, many others read very well with it, I know). Reading with the TM is easy (I'm a Thothie so that might help) because the card tells you what you need to know.

So for me, there is really no question. The TM is a must-have, the Holy Light is nice to have.

Strictly my very own 2 agoroth. Ymmv.

Nemia

Tyldwick???

I'm forever on the fence about the Tyldwick. Those who have it - what do you say? Is it worth paying so much money for it? Does it read well over time?

willowy

I'm forever on the fence about the Tyldwick. Those who have it - what do you say? Is it worth paying so much money for it? Does it read well over time?

I have it and love it,but I know its not everyones cup of tea.To me its kind of like roaming through a historical maybe haunted mansion ,no people-you kind of have to fill them in yourself.Its mysterious and intriguing.Its not the easiest deck to read,and some of my gold edging has worn away.I think it does get better the more you work with it,I do wish some of the images were alittle clearer,and think it was a mistake that there was never the option of a guide book that gave abit of insight in to some of the symbols given in each card.
I treasure mine,theres really no other deck like it-even people that dislike it have to agree on that.
Have you watched some youtube videos and had a good look at it in action?Videos gave me a better idea of what I was getting.
I know its quite expensive,but you probably would get back what you paid in sale or trade,especially since theres only supposed to be 2000 decks so if it does go oop you might see it being sold for more!Hope this helps :)

AJ

Hello!

Tabula Mundi is Thoth based if that makes a difference