Cat's Eye Tarot

catdoc

HudsonGray said:
There are still less than 10 cat decks out there, so I think there's plenty of room for more, in any style. .

Hudson, (or anyone for that matter :)
Can you share a list of cat decks that you are aware of? There are only 5 that I know of that have been published, but my knowlege of tarot decks is by no means exhaustive.

1. I Gatti original (majors only)
2. I Gatti (re-make?) (majors only)
3. Tarot for Cats (majors only)
4. Tarot du Chat (78 card deck)
5. Tarot of The Cat People ( 78 cards, sci-fi with cats)

There are lots of cats in the Halloween Tarot but it is not really a cat deck, and cats appear in many tarot decks, but there really are not that many fully illustrated 78 card cat decks presently available.

Thanks
Deb

baba-prague

Cat House tarot

There's a nice review of it over at Tarot Passages (slightly confusingly it is called "neko's house tarot" on the review. I'm not sure why.) It apparently has non-illustrated pips.

I have to say that I find the collaging very crude on some cards, but that's just me (you have gathered we are obsessive about such things and very into the detail of technique). It's this that would stop me buying this deck - but like I say, take it that that's just me, it's obviously a very nice deck in many ways.

catdoc

neko

baba,
I believe neko is means cat. The Maneki-Neko is the welcoming cat (round calico bob tail with the raised paw) that one will frequently see in oriental restaurants and many small businesses in Hawii.

I will have to check out the Cat House tarot.

Deb

Le_Corsair

Re: neko

catdoc said:
I will have to check out the Cat House tarot.

Deb

I think most men on the forum will second that statement.

Bob :THERM

HudsonGray

Tarot Garden has these listed:

22 Arcani “i Gatti” --1990

22 Arcani 'i Gatti Buffi' --1990 (same one? The borders look different)

Les Chats d'Evelyne Nicod --1985 & 1991

Gatti Originali Minitarocco --Itallian, unknown date, 22 cards only

Le Tarot du Chat --1993

Tarot for Cats --Out of print

Cat's World Tarot --1997

Cat's House Tarot --unknown date, a Japanese deck with realistic cats

Cat Tarot --Japanese, out of print, 1990

Tarot of the Cat People

catdoc

Re: Re: neko

Le_Corsair said:
I think most men on the forum will second that statement.

Bob :THERM

I think they may be disappointed :)

(....unless of course they in touch with their inner cat lover side.)
Deb

catdoc

Hudson,

I count 10 decks, does that mean we have reached the quota? Or does the fact that several are out of print, scarce or majors only still leave room for baba-prague and I to go ahead and add to the list?

Deb

WolfyJames

Another lovely cats deck! I love cats dearly, and it's fun to see other people who cherish them as well. Your cards are quite pretty, and I hope you will finish the minors. In your deck, my cat is The Sun, what a beautiful card!

As a cat lover, I've been looking for the perfect cat deck, and your deck is very close to it, I'm eager to see what you will do with the rest of the deck. There's another pretty cat deck that wasn't mentionned that I want, the Felisis Arca Tarot. The deck is not out yet, but so far is quite pretty with an Old English Tarot look to it.

Cats are so special...

HudsonGray

There's ALWAYS room for another cat deck. If you look, most are showing drawings of stylized cats, not realistic ones. I don't think any sort of quota has been reached, Catdoc--keep going full steam ahead!

lunakasha

Hi Catdoc!

I would like to add my two cents here..........

Obviously there are many, many tarot collectors out there, including a number of us here at Aeclectic, who are very interested in obtaining cat-themed tarot cards. Speaking for myself, I feel that Tarot is an art form, and my preference is for beautiful Tarot decks that are unique in approach, yet remain true to the classic meanings of the cards. As an animal lover, and especially a CAT fanatic, I cannot imagine a more perfect way of expressing Tarot than by using cats to tell the story!

Your artwork is breathtaking, and we definitely need MORE cat-themed tarot decks. PLEASE don't give up on completing these cards...they are unlike any I have seen, and I am anxious to see them all!

:) Luna