The High Priestess vs The Moon

elena_jaymz

Hi everyone, I'd like to discuss the difference between The High Priestess and The Moon, as lately I can't clearly distinguish them, especially when they are in advice position. I tend to interpret The High Priestess as a need to listen to your intuition, because actually the answers you are looking for are within yourself, but this is something that also The Moon can suggest IMHO.. It may ask you indeed to not let fear to trick you, but to listen to your guts..

So I don't get the difference, could you help me? Thank you so much.

GotH

To me, it's just as you say with the High Priestess but with the Moon, I have learned that there are more darker issues to consider. There can be more of a negative connotation when the Moon shows up.

High Priestess - Secrets as others see them but for you there is understanding within.

Moon - Things are just not as they seem.

Hope that helps some..

elena_jaymz

To me, it's just as you say with the High Priestess but with the Moon, I have learned that there are more darker issues to consider. There can be more of a negative connotation when the Moon shows up.

High Priestess - Secrets as others see them but for you there is understanding within.

Moon - Things are just not as they seem.

Hope that helps some..

Hi GotH, thank you. Yes, The Moon looks darker and can have a much more negative connotation, the issue is more oppressive, that's why it's harder to see clarity in such situation.

RavenOfSummer

Hi elena_jaymz! I also see both of these cards as being very much about listening to your intuition. I see this portion of the major arcana- Stars, Moon, Sun- in the classical sense of ascending through the celestial realms toward your ultimate goal. I would say that for me the High Priestess connotes more of an inner journey of intuition, and the Moon connotes more out of an outer journey or journey into the world using your intuition. For example, traveling into something mysterious trusting your inner truth as your guide. The Moon also sometimes shows up for me as, you're close, keep going, keep trusting yourself.

I know some people read the Moon as deception etc, but I personally can't read the Moon that way since I have a strong personal/spiritual relationship with the Moon that just doesn't jibe with that interpretation. So, I do think all interpretations are personal as well. Not sure if you journal your readings, but for me using a journal has been the best way to continue to develop my reading. Hope this is helpful- best of luck on your journey!

decan

I agree, in the Tarot the Moon card isn't really good: we are at night, unable to see clearly our environment (with our eyes, with our reason), it is cold, the two towers are not really appealing, the howls of the dog and the wolf are probably a bit frightening as well...

The High Priestess is sometimes depicted as Diana, the goddess of the Moon.
Probably the Moon card depicts more the sublunary sphere, our world, imperfect, misleading, fearsome.
Well, it depends as well on the Tarot you are using but the High Priestess is in some way more positive, of course she is secret!

spookyboo22

The moon is only reflecting sunlight it isn't the sun which is clarity
The high priestess knows ,the moon thinks it knows but doesnt

barefootlife

I read the High Priestess as a card that tells you to be still and listen to your intuition in order to divine secrets, whereas the Moon implies an active journey to be made through mysterious things you don't understand. Basically, the HP is a card that indicates passivity with potential to control the situation through intuition, where the Moon is an active card that implies that comprehension and control are difficult, if not impossible at that point.

wheelie

All of these interpretations are helping me. Thank you all very much!

I would note that the High Priestess seems to have truth in hand with the crescent moon at her feet, maybe showing more actual knowledge, even if representing something hidden. And she seems to be more personal, having to do with people, while the moon is more atmospheric or environmental--a setting.

Also the High Priestess seems to have arrived between the pillars that may be more distant on the Moon card.

Thirteen

Bringing back only the good stuff in the carnival bag

the High Priestess seems to have truth in hand with the crescent moon at her feet, maybe showing more actual knowledge...Also the High Priestess seems to have arrived between the pillars that may be more distant on the Moon card.
Good points! Astrologically, the HPS is the Moon (the planet). So one good way to understand the difference is this:

The Moon Card is a land of intuition and psychic connections, but also a lot of other things on the unconscious/spirit world side as well. Dream & nightmares, illusions & visions, lunacy & artistry, romance false & true, tricks & real magic. When you enter the Moon Card, you get it all! ALL. Like a carnival at night. Scary, fun, games, lights, acrobats and fire breathers...also pick-pockets. You're living in emotions and dreams with this card, and all you can do is fill up your goodie bag and hope that, in the morning, you'll find you brought back some treasures.

The HPS...she is like having the fortune teller at the carnival say, "let me be your guide." She'll say, "Avoid that ride. It's cheap and dangerous. Go on that ride, it'll give you a whole new view of the world. Don't play that game, they'll cheat you. Play that one, you've a chance of winning it and getting a good prize...." When you have the HPS on your side--or you *are* the HPS, you know what visions are true, what magic is real, what dreams you should pay attention to. You know how to navigate the crazy carnival lands of the Moon. Your *intuition* is sharp and you can avoid the tricks, the scary stuff, the illusions and the lunacy. You can bag the good stuff, and be happy with your haul in the morning.

Abrac

The Moon is natural intuition; it operates within the material mind. It can provide comfort and guidance when natural reasoning fails, but it's still basically material in nature.

The High Priestess operates at a much higher level and is associated with visions and revelations. She's above the material and even the solar plane.

If the Moon is drawn, expect something more on the mundane side, though it may have a "supernatural" aspect to it. If the HP is drawn it indicates higher, possibly Divine influences at play.