Planets-Between-Partners Series: Sun-Moon

dadsnook2000

The Sun is considered, at some levels of astrological practice, as "male" and the Moon as "female." We would expect therefore that aspects between these luminaries would signify a strong bond between partners/friends/family. Indeed, the postive aspects -- conjunction, trine, sextile -- are all great, while the opposition and square would be difficult in typical circumstances.
"Magnetic" is a term sometimes applied to this pairing, although I have Mars, Mercury and Pluto involved -- making things super magnetic.

The postive aspects blend the Sun's outgoingness, vitality, creativity with the Moon's domestic nature, flow of feelings and intuitiveness, making for a vibrant relationship.

** Sun CONJUNCT Moon; Sun tends to protect the Moon, the Moon supports the Sun person. This is a powerful bond between the two sexes. Some have noted that if the woman's Sun aspects the man's Moon that the woman tends to be dominating.

** Sun TRINE/SEXTILE Moon; The roles of each player tend to be either given or intuitively understood, resulting in a smoother working relationship on a daily basis than is true with the conjunction.

** Sun OPPOSITE Moon; there is attraction here, but that doesn't work for long or if it get too close. There has to be a here and not-here form of relationship for this to work best. Like all oppositions, things can be easier if there are other planets that tie into this opposition pattern -- they can shape an alternate form of expression or acceptance and provide a method of dealing with oppositional stress.

** Sun SQUARE Moon; Use of power versus domestic tranquility. How do the two people utilize their will versus their habits/rules of the game? Is the Sun dominating, does the Moon try to control by whining and projecting guilt? Does the Sun person do their thing, running roughshod over the sensitivities of the Moon person? Yet, I have seen several examples of this pattern in marriages that have lasted a long time. Perhaps what is seen is not what is experienced inside the family.

Those on the list who have these patterns between their chart and anothers should offer their observations. Because of the specific aspects and planets involved there may be only a few of the lsit that have these patterns. So, we will cover a different pairing every day or two. Of course, you can always go back to an older thread and post there if you have missed something.

A NOTE: My wife and I have a Quintile (1/5 or 72 degrees) between my Sun and her Moon. This aspect, not covered in this series, is often equated to ones "lifestyle". Associated with other aspect patterns in our charts, (Such as Sun square Sun and Venus opposite Saturn) we often clash a lot. We have adopted a life style where common family activities and friends will involve us together while personal hobbies and interests find us each going our own way. This approach keeps harmony in those mutual areas of interest and avoids clashes when each tries to involve the other in things they don't like or value. It works. Dave

TenOfSwords

Even though I'm not on the list, I just had to offer my experience with this:

I'm a Sun Leo with Moon Aquarius opposition. I was with someone for 6 months (love of my life unfortunately) who had a Sun Taurus with Moon Scorpio opposition. So we had a lot of squares between us.

The interesting part was that we're both basically impossible people, but we fit perfectly together until one single argument breaks out. Every single step we take after that point, no matter the intention, leads to more conflict and it all grinds down into "not speaking at all" extremely rapidly... like a balance lost and there's just no way of stopping it. Occilation effect.

dadsnook2000

Very true of squares

Yes, what you describe is very true of squares and oppositions. In your case, having the individual oppositions square between the partners is extremely hard to work with. While you are figuring out why you acted as you did, you also have to deal with the other person -- and either of you may change roles and modes of thought, feelings and actions before the other. Tough. But, you can't deny the attraction is there -- sort of like loving poisonous snakes or something. Dave

TenOfSwords

It certainly was an uncanny match. A combination of being perfect opposites and exactly the same. Still feels like I lost my soul mate.

The switching you mentioned happened with each step, making it worse and worse even though the intention was otherwise, like a timing mis-match that neither of us were able to stop. I don't think either of us actually understand what exactly happened.

Seeing it as two sun-moon squares, behaving as described in the initial post, that start activating each other in turn mirrors what happened quite well.

dadsnook2000

For Ten Of Swords, and others

The "list" I noted earlier was meant to mean "all of those who join AT and have a screen name" -- they may mostly lurk, they may post sometimes, they may participate in only a few threads, or they may be heavy participants. There is nothing exclusive here. We all share, we all learn. I just try to keep to the basics so that the list members (who are mostly either "new" or "early students" can follow along and join in. If we find ourselves in deeper waters then we deal with that as it arises. We have several strong astrologers on the list who can contribute in many areas, most of them having as many years in the game as I do.

As I noted earlier, due to the large number of planetary pairs and aspects, we will move onto a new pair every couple/few days. Anyone can add to, and bring to the top of the listings, any pairs that have already been discussed. As we move thru Augst and many return from vacations, I expect the number of responses to increase. Dave

Sophie

My Moon is sextile with my partner's Sun - I feel it smooths things and helps us understand each other and talk. We are good friends, too.

isthmus nekoi

I was reading somewhere else that the sun-moon conj worked better in a tradional dominant-passive relationships b/c the sun becomes the center/leader and the moon is the support.

Freud and Jung had this conjunction, F being the sun while J being the younger man, the follower which illustrates the sort of dominant-passive relationship well. However, J later tried to assert his own theories and F would have none of it so they had a very bitter falling out.

I have also seen the female sun dominate a conjunct to a male moon but I don't want to give the idea that by using the word "dominate" this would indicate a relationship of control where the guy is "whipped". I just mean the man is more accomodating instead of the other way around.

I have a sun (mine) conj moon w/an older man in the UK. We have kept in touch many years. In my experience, this conjunction bestows a feeling of mutual support but perhaps that is also b/c of a number of other synastric connections and also, I would not think it proper to tell a man so much older than myself what to do.

I also have a very long relationship w/a girlfriend (friends since before we could speak lol) whose moon conjuncts mine. Certainly in this relationship perhaps b/c we are the same age and gender, I tend to be more of the "leader". We were roommates for a number of years and our fathers were roommates before us. We "click" easily even if we don't speak for long periods of time. She has always been very supportive of my interests!

star-lover

a few random thoughts male moon-female sun

my husbands 5 degree leo moon sextiles my 4 libra sun

i remember when we first got together feeling comfortable and that I didn't have to *try* at all - i could just be myself and he accepted it

one of the first things he said to me when we got together was that we fit like a hand in a glove

i remember also thinking he was *domesticated* more so than any other man I had met/other friends partners

he had a better nack than me at for example arranging ornaments/furniture, had a special touch domestically which he took pride in

and I am the more dominant in the relationship

i don't know if my sun fired up his moon urges - but he wasted no time in proposing and in buying a house together

for years before we met (i was the one that actually asked him out/to go on holiday with me) he had lead a kind of nomadic existence travelling from country to country - I guess part of what he saw in me was a chance to settle down, be secure and build a home/family

couple months into the relationship my parents who i lived with at the time took him in as a lodger - at the time i had a big extended family which sort of took him in and that must have felt good for him because he had only trouble with this, his brother was cold with him etc etc - he'd left his family years ago after being fed up of alot of cr@p

that's all i can think of re his moon apart from he was the first man in a long time who was kind to me and wanted to protect me

very early days i remember one night in a pub there was a sudden brawl out of nowhere and glass when flying - his first reaction was to cover my head with his arms and push me under the table

from the start it was a very cuddle up together on the sofa, put the fire on and watch tv kind of relationship

dadsnook2000

Sun & Moon make for strong ties

For both star-lover and isthmus nekoi -- the Sun and Moon contacts do indeed make ties between partners. The Sun lives up to its reputation of being more evident in relationship expressions, while the Moon follows its "responsive" reputation. It is interesting, star-lover, that the sextile aspect is so significant, but I'm glad for you that it is and that your partner is so "right" for you. One of my best friends has her Sun within a few degrees of my Moon and we get along like peas-in-a-pod. My wife's Moon is on my ASC degree -- I'll be talking about that in an upcomming post.

isthmus nekoi, your comments show that age differences do not make any difference in relationships. We can all expect that the aspect-contacts we note in these posts will apply to family and children just as well as between adults. I have a Sun trining my adopted grandson's Sun within a degree. Given that there are two Suns involved we clash a bit, yet I give him a lot of time and attention and he'll do anything for me that I ask. So, there seems to be some conflict between Suns that works out overall due to the trine.
Dave

star-lover

dadsnook2000 said:
For both star-lover and isthmus nekoi -- the Sun and Moon contacts do indeed make ties between partners. The Sun lives up to its reputation of being more evident in relationship expressions, while the Moon follows its "responsive" reputation. It is interesting, star-lover, that the sextile aspect is so significant, but I'm glad for you that it is and that your partner is so "right" for you. One of my best friends has her Sun within a few degrees of my Moon and we get along like peas-in-a-pod. My wife's Moon is on my ASC degree -- I'll be talking about that in an upcomming post.

isthmus nekoi, your comments show that age differences do not make any difference in relationships. We can all expect that the aspect-contacts we note in these posts will apply to family and children just as well as between adults. I have a Sun trining my adopted grandson's Sun within a degree. Given that there are two Suns involved we clash a bit, yet I give him a lot of time and attention and he'll do anything for me that I ask. So, there seems to be some conflict between Suns that works out overall due to the trine.
Dave

thanks dave