Anybody here work with the Etteilla decks?

Papageno

any of them

that's my project for the new year. never worked with them.
any helpful hints or suggestions?

TIA

edited to add:

I just realized this should have been posted in Using Tarot Cards

sorry mods

room

I have the Grand Etteilla--LOVE it, but I haven't worked much with it, so can't suggest anything.

I was using it for daily draws in conjunction with any other deck I fancied using--like a clarifying card or a partner card to fuller explain a reading. That's the way I use cards lately as I'm having some fatigue from facial nerve pain and that's about all I can handle.

I found a got a lot out of doing that.

Do you have the Petit E. as well? You could mix the Grand and Petit versions in short readings--that might be fun.

ana luisa

I used the grand Eteilla for many years. it was a love-hate relationship. they are a bit difficult to handle for I have small hands. Also, I usually got VERY accurate readings with it but most of them were too blunt and negative. Almost like a pack that will tell you what will go wrong... I had to be brave every time I did a spread with my GE. I don´t use it much now but I usually get excellent answers for readings on relationships.

Papageno

thanks you guys.

I'm planning on using the Libro di Thoth (lo scarabeo) not the Grimaud or Dussere, although it probably doesn't matter which edition I use.

do you follow the shuffling and layout method as described in the LWB or do you use your own?

Umbrae

I have a Jeu du Grand Etteilla (Editions Dusserre) that I've never worked with (was never comfortable with the re-sequencing of the majors).

Lovely images though...and the minors are a bit deep.

But the Keywords that Etteilla uses are also used in Le Grand Tarot Belline - which does add another layer to work with...

Papageno

Umbrae said:
I have a Jeu du Grand Etteilla (Editions Dusserre) that I've never worked with (was never comfortable with the re-sequencing of the majors).

Lovely images though...and the minors are a bit deep.

But the Keywords that Etteilla uses are also used in Le Grand Tarot Belline - which does add another layer to work with...

ah ha!.........thank you. I had a feeling this was going to be a bit daunting.

room

trismegistus said:
I had a feeling this was going to be a bit daunting.

Oooh yeah, but what a gripper for the mind. Sounds like a very meaty exercise for you, which means you will reap great benefits from it. Effort=Momentum=Movement.

I don't see what the order of the majors has to do with anything--suspend comparison and preconception about what order the cards *should* be in and you'll get along fine.

I found like Ana Luisa that it did pack a punch of meaning.

The layouts are interesting but use a lot of cards so I haven't used them. They are inventive though--another challenge.

The edition I have is by Grimaud. I'll do a search so I can see what your edition is like, as I've never heard of it.

Papageno

room said:
Oooh yeah, but what a gripper for the mind. Sounds like a very meaty exercise for you, which means you will reap great benefits from it. Effort=Momentum=Movement.

The edition I have is by Grimaud. I'll do a search so I can see what your edition is like, as I've never heard of it.

I have 3 variants of the Etteilla including the Grimaud and Dussere.
it was the Scarabeo Libro that caught me by surprise. it was one of those "you want to get to know me....yes you do" moments.

but I notice there isn't much discusion here about the use of the Etteilla, searches for threads don't reveal much about it's use, except for some discussion about it's structure. I get the distinct feeling it's not a popular tarot.......for whatever reason. but we'll see what happens :)

room

trismegistus said:
I notice there isn't much discusion here about the use of the Etteilla

Oh gee, and all those people searching for the ultimate nirvana of the one-deck study too. ;)

LixiPixi

trismegistus said:
I'm planning on using the Libro di Thoth (lo scarabeo) ........do you follow the shuffling and layout method as described in the LWB or do you use your own?

I do have this specific deck as well and I like it very much. I've done a couple of readings with it and find them to be very accurate. But these accurate interpretations only came after referring to the LWB. Unfortunately, I found this deck to have very different meanings from the ones I'm used to. Normally this wouldn't bother me as I use intuition A LOT when I read, but I don't find this deck intuitive-friendly.

I would love to do a study with someone on this deck. Maybe a card a day, share some thoughts on the LWB meaning, what we see in the card artwork, etc. It is a fantastic deck, but one that definitely needs some special attention to help learn, retain, and not become dependent on the LWB. I'd be game to participate with you if you choose to delve deeper with this one :)

LP~