Witches 13 Runes

catlin

Ha, now I know what to do with my tumbled stones and the glass beads I bought ;) thanks for the links.

a_shikhs

Thank you Wandlimb for the link. It was very helpful. :) Its gonna be fun making these runes.. :D

What is the difference between Witches 8 Runes and Witches 13 Runes? :confused:

Disa

a_shikhs said:
Thank you Wandlimb for the link. It was very helpful. :) Its gonna be fun making these runes.. :D

I've been thinking of buying Witches Runes for quite sometime. I also don't know the difference between the 8 and the 13- other than there are different symbols.

The 8 Runes have one symbol called The Ear of Corn- which is a symbol that I have drawn since I was a teen for no apparent reason. I also made a piece of silver jewelry with this symbol though I'd not seen this symbol before.

I would like to have 13 runes, but with the Ear of Corn included- can't seem to find this combination.

I'm interested in knowing, symbolically why one set has a 8 runes and the other 13 and why the symbols are not the same.

Any ideas?

blackstormhawk

a_shikhs said:

You knew that someone had to say it ...

(wowee ... 200th post!)

Disa

Well, congratulations on your 200th post. But... does anyone have any info to clarify these things for us?

Tristram Shandy

Witch runes

This is a good thread. I've seen these runes for sale in some online shops, and I became curious about their origin. Now I had a reason to investigate it.

It seems that people in wicca.com board are mistaken about the inventor of these runes. They point at Silver RavenWolf, but her book Witches Runes is about Germanic runes. The evidence leads to Susan Sheppard.

To stay on topic, I found yet another guide to this rune system (a PDF file). I hope it is usable. OK, the description about the Woman Rune has quite a blunder. There isn't a figure called "Illmater" in Finnish mythology. Her name is Ilmatar, which means "Woman of the Air", not "water mother". Finnish isn't an Indoeuropean language, so it hasn't got a word like mater, mother. And the Finns didn't use runes for anything until today. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry for the text. The feeling must be something like the one those Native Americans have, when they see their culture and mythology distorted in New Age oracle decks.

Skysteel

Firstly, I just want to thank all the contributors to this thread - very useful links about an intriguing divination system I knew nothing about,
- :)

Disa said:
I'm interested in knowing, symbolically why one set has a 8 runes and the other 13 and why the symbols are not the same.

Any ideas?

The symbols may not be exactly the same, but I think they're intended to be similar. There seems to be a 'missing link', as it were, between the two systems - the 10 Gypsy Runes. To demonstrate, the 8 Witches' Runes have the following symbols:

The Sun
The Moon
The Rings
The Crossed Spears
The Wave
The Birds
The Ear of Corn
The Black Rune

The Gypsy Runes add two more and slightly change a few:

The Eye
The Star
The Wave -> Water
The Ear of Corn -> The Ripe Grain
The Black Rune -> The Sickle

The 13 Witches' Runes then add three more and again slightly change a few existing ones:

Woman
Man
Romance
The Crossed Spears -> The Crossroads
Water -> Waves
The Birds -> Flight
Ripe Grain -> The Harvest
The Sickle -> The Scythe