One Deck Wonder Resurrected

Elendil

Elendil, I'm interested in seeing if you decide to use the II for the One Deck Wonder. kalliope and I will be using it together and will be posting in the Study our findings and observations in the Study Group in addition to this thread which will serve as a place for support and general rants.

Elendil, I'm hoping as well that you decide to join us with the International Icon deck, even if you do your own "unofficial version" of it in which you continue to do the DOW. The more the merrier! As has been mentioned already, this ODW seems to be rather flexible in allowing one to set one's own rules, which I hope means that more people will stick around.

I agree. Sometimes the less rules, the better. Bonding with our decks should be fun not a chore! 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, forever, whatever it ends up being.

Okay - I can't seem to let the International Icon go...so I am going to join this group with my own spin on the rules which will allow me to still cycle through decks in Deck of the Week.

I will post my actual 'rules' shortly...

Tarot Orat

FANTASTIC! I've been missing the old IDS (it did feel a little too strict in its rules but I certainly enjoyed it) and I'm so glad to see ODW resurrected. Everyone's contributions so far have inspired me to rejoin the club :)

I'm slightly nervously going with my Dark Carnival Tarot - nervously because I don't always feel comfortable reading for others with it; it's got dark imagery and gives scary-accurate readings. But what the heck. I love it, it's the only deck I've used to read for myself since I got it, and the people I have read for with it agreed that it gave them good answers. (Not necessarily welcome ones, but accurate...)

For the pip deck, I'll use the Brian Williams Minchiate. It's more complex than a Marseilles deck but I've enjoyed working with it, and anyway I want to be able to do the Minchiate exhange!

I'm going to have to cheat a little and use other decks for some exchanges I've already begun this month; other than that, let's get some rules down....

1. Pick up and shuffle through both decks every day.

2. Do a daily draw with each deck on alternate days (e.g., DC on Mon/Wed/Fri and Minchi on Tues/Thurs/Sat.)

3. Do a full reading with both decks at least once a week. (Sunday seems to be free...)

4. For the DC, use the associated booklet and listen to the music that inspired the creator (not my "type" of music but it'll expand my horizons and give me more insight into the themes and imagery).

5. For the Minchie, use the accompanying book and also any other Minchie references I can find, books or online!

6. Record all readings in a notebook/computer file.

7. Blog at least once a week.

8. Have fun!!!!

My timeline is today, Feb. 7 2013, to my birthday on June 6.

Miss Divine

Well, I posted several days ago I would also read with the Vampyres for others. But this evening I had a man come for a reading who was totally repulsed by this deck. :(

Needless to say, I was kinda forced into using another deck for him, which was the Victorian Romantic.

Well, I confessed and am now going back to the Vampyres like a good little girl. ;)

Anna

I think I will join you, and just use the International Icon for the foreseeable future.

My whole approach to Tarot has been kind of a one deck wonder. I only had the one deck, a RWS, for the first 10 years. Then I did 3 years or so with Marseilles, and then later about 3 of 4 years with Thoth. Probably about time to return to the RWS style, and I've had an International Icon since reading Satori's posts in the original ODW threads.

It will be a useful thing for me to read with actual cards again. I mainly use an app on my phone for readings these days. It works. And it was so much more practical when my kids were very little. But they are big, and I miss working with a real deck.

I have readings to finish up in some of the circles, but other than those I am in as of now. AS soon as I finish this post I will go and dust of my IIT.

As for rules.... I will read exclusively with the IIT for the foreseeable future, except for if I feel like joining in with a reading circle that requires a specific type of deck. I may add in a Marseilles at some point, but probably not for a while.

strings of life

I think I will join you, and just use the International Icon for the foreseeable future.

My whole approach to Tarot has been kind of a one deck wonder. I only had the one deck, a RWS, for the first 10 years. Then I did 3 years or so with Marseilles, and then later about 3 of 4 years with Thoth. Probably about time to return to the RWS style, and I've had an International Icon since reading Satori's posts in the original ODW threads.

It will be a useful thing for me to read with actual cards again. I mainly use an app on my phone for readings these days. It works. And it was so much more practical when my kids were very little. But they are big, and I miss working with a real deck.

I have readings to finish up in some of the circles, but other than those I am in as of now. AS soon as I finish this post I will go and dust of my IIT.

As for rules.... I will read exclusively with the IIT for the foreseeable future, except for if I feel like joining in with a reading circle that requires a specific type of deck. I may add in a Marseilles at some point, but probably not for a while.
Anna, I saw your post earlier today but I was so busy at work. Another addition to the II group, yay!

I'm prepared for a thoroughly enjoyable snowed in weekend with my deck. I'll start posting in the Study Group on Saturday.

Disa

Study group Saturday! Thank you for the reminder. :)

AmberFox

What I've been doing this week

Hi every one, so I'm loving this ODW even though I now wanne buy so many more new decks lol that's what AT does to me whenever I post and read other posts.

Ok back to the topic on hand, I have been doing a daily draw with my chosen decks each day, Tarot of Vampyres and Oracle of Shadiws and Light and they work so well together. If I pulled a card from one the other one made sure the message came through by having me pull a card that had similar, the same or added info to the other even though they are 2 different systems. Funny how that works.

I also joined the 21 way study group so I can really work with my Tarot of Vampyres so I am going to post in that as well and even though I said I wasn't gonna read any other books but I have grabbed the 21 ways book to help me do the exercises. I will try to post in the daily draws as well.

Have fun every one!! BB Amber

Marieve

Golden

Well, I posted several days ago I would also read with the Vampyres for others. But this evening I had a man come for a reading who was totally repulsed by this deck. :(

Needless to say, I was kinda forced into using another deck for him, which was the Victorian Romantic.

Well, I confessed and am now going back to the Vampyres like a good little girl. ;)

I stuck with Vampyres pretty much all last year but mainly with readings for myself as I found out it can be too dark for others but now it kind of left me. It was my favorite and trustworthy friend and I was in love with it. This is such a great deck that has a few levels to discover if you can stick to it.

I'm so struggling to find one particular deck to be devoted to. In every deck there is always something that I love about and something that leaves me slightly annoyed or unsatisfied. Also with rare and expensive decks I kind of think it would be hard to find an extra copy if something happened to it so I hesitate to invest lots of time in it, if it makes sense. So for me the best deck to do One Deck Wonder with would be some cheap, not too dark and universal enough to be used for strangers. It changes all the time. Recently I kind of looked with more favorable eye on the Golden by Kat Black and I will join with that one if it's all right. It just seems sturdy enough to be a work horse and artwork seems pleasant and so far nothing annoys me in it ;-) I just hope it is kind of complicated enough to keep me interested but then it could be in the eye of the beholder.

I am not going to be using any books with meanings apart from Dictionaries of Symbols but might use 'ideas' books like: Tarot Shadow Work, and Tarot for Self Discovery. I do reserve the right to wander off to some other decks for reading exchange occasionally: particularly Mary-El and DDT.

I don't need to add any Marseilles but might play with I Ching and Runes as well if it is all right.

I will try to stick to it by the end of March for now, this might be extended if the Deck and I will 'prove' ourselves ;-)

I have a couple of reading exchanges to finish off but for me it starts now 09/02/12 at 3 pm. Wow, beginning of a great adventure, a little bit scary.

Miss Divine

I stuck with Vampyres pretty much all last year but mainly with readings for myself as I found out it can be too dark for others but now it kind of left me. It was my favorite and trustworthy friend and I was in love with it. This is such a great deck that has a few levels to discover if you can stick to it.

I'm so struggling to find one particular deck to be devoted to. In every deck there is always something that I love about and something that leaves me slightly annoyed or unsatisfied. Also with rare and expensive decks I kind of think it would be hard to find an extra copy if something happened to it so I hesitate to invest lots of time in it, if it makes sense. So for me the best deck to do One Deck Wonder with would be some cheap, not too dark and universal enough to be used for strangers. It changes all the time. Recently I kind of looked with more favorable eye on the Golden by Kat Black and I will join with that one if it's all right. It just seems sturdy enough to be a work horse and artwork seems pleasant and so far nothing annoys me in it ;-) I just hope it is kind of complicated enough to keep me interested but then it could be in the eye of the beholder.

Welcome Marieve :)
The Vampyres has surprised me how well it's been reading for me so far. It is a deep deck and like you mentioned, indeed has alot to explore. The deck only has a few darker images, or maybe I'm just used to them already that I don't really consider it dark. In fact, I think it delivers the message in a friendly and often gentle manner. My friends I've read for, really liked the deck. The guy that was repulsed, was an older male and kinda religious. I was thinking... C'mon, it's just a tarot deck. It's not like it's gonna come and BITE you!:D

Anyways, I have the Golden. I trimmed my copy and I like it sooo much better now this way. Yeah I know, the gilt edging... Yep that's gone, but without them it shuffles much better too so I don't miss the gold stuff. ;)

I also know what you mean about HTF decks. I tend to enjoy the easy obtainable decks for just that reason. They get used with ease and therefor the most, because you are less paranoid about the deck getting damaged. Cuz if that does happen, it's easy to get another copy. Like the Vampyres, that black is chipping from the edges. I don't like that, but it bothers me less because I can easily get another. (Which I do see myself doing eventually with this deck, because I actually prefer pristine decks).
You won't have that issue with the Golden, that thing is rugged!! Hahaha

Enjoy...

Marieve

Welcome Marieve :)
The Vampyres has surprised me how well it's been reading for me so far. It is a deep deck and like you mentioned, indeed has alot to explore. The deck only has a few darker images, or maybe I'm just used to them already that I don't really consider it dark. In fact, I think it delivers the message in a friendly and often gentle manner. My friends I've read for, really liked the deck. The guy that was repulsed, was an older male and kinda religious. I was thinking... C'mon, it's just a tarot deck. It's not like it's gonna come and BITE you!:D

Yes, I enjoyed our time with Vampyres very much, well it is kind of dark (which I love) and erotic, I did came across some people that find it offensive. Those who are scared of it probably are just generally frightened by Tarot - still quite frequent I think.

For me the deck was quite strait forward with the message but then thought provoking about deeper understanding of the causes or other issues around the matter in hand. Wow, I'm starting to miss it now when I talk about it ;-)

Anyways, I have the Golden. I trimmed my copy and I like it sooo much better now this way. Yeah I know, the gilt edging... Yep that's gone, but without them it shuffles much better too so I don't miss the gold stuff. ;)

I also know what you mean about HTF decks. I tend to enjoy the easy obtainable decks for just that reason. They get used with ease and therefor the most, because you are less paranoid about the deck getting damaged. Cuz if that does happen, it's easy to get another copy. Like the Vampyres, that black is chipping from the edges. I don't like that, but it bothers me less because I can easily get another. (Which I do see myself doing eventually with this deck, because I actually prefer pristine decks).
You won't have that issue with the Golden, that thing is rugged!! Hahaha

Enjoy...

Yes the Vampyres is chipping quite easily, I even was musing what to do with it, laminate it or something, or find some coating to cover it with but then I just bought another copy and stopped worrying about it.

I was thinking about trimming Golden, I'm not so bothered about the glittered edges but then my copy is not so symetrical, the right border is much thinner then the left one, which might look rubish on the backs. It would be great to loose that copyright number though. Did you post the pictures of your trimmed Golden somewhere on ATF? I would like to have a look.

Thanks for a warm welcome, I can't wait to find out how ODW it will be going for you.