Bohemian Gothic - Five of Wands

Master_Margarita

I think this is the last card left that has not been "studied" here yet. Wonder why it isn't feeling the love?

The imagery on this card, although I like the card well enough, seems so obvious that it's not worth writing about. It's about petty fights, right? Battling inner demons? Notably, we know that in the second edition (not released as of this posting) the authors have added a spectator (real or imagined?) in the balcony, which will add a lot of interest for me. I suppose the original card has all those birds, perhaps with a suggestion that they are anticipating carrion.

Thinking out loud a bit more, I like the contrast in this particular deck between the Five of Wands and the Nine of Swords. In both cards the opposing or "dark" forces clearly have an air of insubstantiality, but the protagonist in this card is active, and the Nine of Swords is passive (in keeping with the standard meaning of the cards, of course...). Most Five of Wands cards I've seen don't suggest so clearly that the enemy is insubstantial.

That's all I've got on this one.

:heart: M_M~

Thirteen

I might be getting a little Dungeons and Dragons here ;) but story-wise I rather feel like this challenger, all cloaked and holding a wicked looking morning-star, is someone who wants to join the bad-guy's club. An assassin trying to prove he's worth hiring. This is his way of distinguishing himself, and proving that he can be trusted with the real deal.

The 5/Wands always has an air about it of a test or competition to see who will go on to the real thing. I see that element here--and I think it'd be even more so with a spectator watching over it all (who, I would presume, might create or control the spirits). What's interesting to me is that the threatening spirits/demons seem to be wearing similar robes. The feeling I get is that they are the ghosts of those who tried this challenge and failed. Which would echo the typical RW 5/Wands idea of facing equals for this position and add in that cool extra message of the 5/Wands: battling our fear of failure.

I suspect that unlike in the usual 5/Wands, if our challenger fails this test he fails for good (dies!)--and maybe becomes one of those spirits to face down the next challenger :D

Master_Margarita

So You Think This Is Like A Gang Initiation?

I can totally see that, Thirteen, and that's something I never saw in this card before.

The interpretation that I had of the spectator to be added in the second edition was more like that of the lady watching her champion joust to defend her honor, but I like your take better than mine.

Thirteen

Master_Margarita said:
The interpretation that I had of the spectator to be added in the second edition was more like that of the lady watching her champion joust to defend her honor, but I like your take better than mine.
Ah, well, if it's a lady then who knows ;) But I've got to say that's one interesting lady if she's watching a cloaked guy with a morning star go at evil specters. One wonders what sort of champion he is and what sort of lady she is....

Krystophe

Master_Margarita said:
Most Five of Wands cards I've seen don't suggest so clearly that the enemy is insubstantial.

:heart: M_M~

Might that be the most important point this card is making? That our protagonist is preparing to do battle with forces that have no substance? Perhaps he's readying himself for a fight that is completely unnecessary. Could he deny his demons their power by no longer giving them his attention?

RiverRunsDeep

I have the second edition also, which shows the lady watching and
waiting in the balcony. I get the sense that she is the cloaked figure's
goal; he wants to reach her, but all of the semitransparent ghosties are
creating a barrier between them. Could be referring to how we allow
unnecessary arguments and petty disagreements stand in the way of
our connections with other people.