"Earth-Centered" Decks

marimorimo

Is anyone familiar with the Sacred Circle tarot? I know it's a mish-mash of CG, photography and hand-painting, but the artist's stated goal of "magical realism" intrigues me. The card scans I've seen look a bit like computer-game graphics, though. I'm thinking that the large book might be worth the price of admission.

Oh, how could I forget this deck! I had my Aunt buy it for me a few years ago and I started studying but never got to the "using" it part! However I do think this deck fits the description of "Earthy" and "Druidic" to a T.

Pros:
1) Based on the druidic tradition, emphasizing the cycle of the seasons, planting and harvest.
2) Chock-full of nature-based symbolism on each card, from plants to animals, herbs, and insects, all of which are discussed in the companion book.
3) Has a very comprehensive and informative companion book.

Cons:
1) 90s style CGI and Photoshop-manipulation of graphics, almost painful to look at compared to the offerings of today. They don't look quite so bad from afar, though (e.g. in a spread). Only when you scrutinize the pictures closely.
2) Pips with no humans in them whatsoever. So no action. However, each pip does have nature-based symbols embedded in it so I wouldn't exactly call it a 100% un-illustrated pip. They also have keywords.

Wee_Gypsy

I've been looking for a strongly "Earth-centered" (for lack of a better term) deck for some time, something in the European druidic/pagan/wiccan tradition that meets my three imperatives: strong art and color, deep symbolism, and uniqueness. At first glance, the Gaian seems a bit too pastel and "cute" for me, and the Well-Worn Path appears to be OOP. Perhaps the Wildwood, which I see is available again, would serve. An oracle deck would be OK too. I'm not interested, at least at present, in shamanistic or "native culture" decks. I've waded through the Decks pages here a few times, but the sheer volume of decks is daunting. Does anyone have suggestions along these lines?

Have You seen Celtic Tarot by Courteny Davis?

Here is the AT link

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/celtic/

It isn't as 'scenic' or illustrated as something like Wildwood (with the beautiful nature scenes and the wildlife) but it is a great depiction of Celtic Symbolism, and a nice deck as well. It uses Celtic Knot work within the illustrations on the cards, and also represents some of the well known celtic myths in the cards and charectors associated with them. I snagged my copy on Ebay last year fairly cheaply, I dont know if it is OOP but it shoulden't be that hard to get. The cards are thick, and bigger, the card stock is nice too, its not too overly cumbersome or glossy, either. Plus it comes with an accompanying book, with some spreads and some backround on the symbolism of the deck with in the tarot kit.

Cerulean

How about Ray Buckland's Romani for a spicy difference?

British Gypsies of the earlier 20th century.

Pre 1970, from how he views folkloric grandparents.

His writing, art from Lissanne Lake?

There are ideas that mesh with your outdoorsy leanings.

Although a friend in Colorado swears it is like her mountain climbs.

Cerulean

I've been looking for a strongly "Earth-centered" (for lack of a better term) deck for some time, something in the European druidic/pagan/wiccan tradition that meets my three imperatives: strong art and color, deep symbolism, and uniqueness. At first glance, the Gaian seems a bit too pastel and "cute" for me, and the Well-Worn Path appears to be OOP. Perhaps the Wildwood, which I see is available again, would serve. An oracle deck would be OK too. I'm not interested, at least at present, in shamanistic or "native culture" decks. I've waded through the Decks pages here a few times, but the sheer volume of decks is daunting. Does anyone have suggestions along these lines?

Barleywine

British Gypsies of the earlier 20th century.

Pre 1970, from how he views folkloric grandparents.

His writing, art from Lissanne Lake?

There are ideas that mesh with your outdoorsy leanings.

Although a friend in Colorado swears it is like her mountain climbs.

Cerulean

Thanks for the tip, I'm an admirer of Buckland's work. I thought for a second I had finally come across a deck that wasn't captured in the bottomless resource that is the AT deck database, until I went to the "B"s. Seems to me that some of this imagery has resurfaced in a couple of the recent "steam-punk" decks.