To buy or not to buy?

GlamourPuss

Thank you everyone for your help and advice.
I feel that I being 'drawn' to the world of Thoth in a very big way. I am just unsure which deck version to go for-does one have more vibrant/bold colouring at all? That would probably be more my personal preference. The big swiss blue version looks interesting but I don't really know if it is any different to the say 'purple' box version. (All from TarotGarden of course :)

Thanks once again.

Greywoolfe

I finally succumbed to temptation at the weekend, and bought a Thoth deck. I can only say: What took me so long??? For anyone interested in Kabbalah, Theosophy, or the Occult in general, I'd say this deck is a MUST. The cards resonate with me in so many more ways than RWS-style decks do, and I'm amazed at the depth of the imagery. I'm fairly sure I can begin doing intuitive readings with this deck, such are the ways that the images 'speak' to me...

Abrac

GlamourPuss, I've never seen the Swiss blue box version, but I have seen the latest US Games version in the green box. They are both printed by AG Muller so you would think they would be close to the same but it's hard to say without seeing both side-by-side. The large US Games one seems a little overly saturated to me. But it could just be me, I'm picky about these things. :) Maybe someone has both and will give an opinion.

Personally, I like the smaller sized one in the purple box. The image clarity seems better to me and they are easier to handle.

ravenest

GlamourPuss said:
ravenest I did a reading too; yes it said! Buy the special one.

"Once owned by a magician" ... and ... "blessed by a witch".

Large version $670
(P.M. Ravenest for details)
??????????????????????????????????

Oh sorry, I thought I was on e-bay ;)

Sophie

ravenest said:
I did a reading too; yes it said! Buy the special one.

"Once owned by a magician" ... and ... "blessed by a witch".

Large version $670
(P.M. Ravenest for details)
ROFL! And then we wonder why the Thoth gets a bad press })

I say get it! Get two! A small one and a large one (for study). Lon Duquette book is a good place to start, but don't stay there. Most important - spend time directly interacting with the card imagery and symbolism - they are astonishing. And don't try and read them like RWS, won't work...

Alta

Moderator note:

The discussion on books has been split into its own thread and is here.

Please keep this thread to the original question and, if you wish, continue the book discussion (which I find very useful) in the other thread.

Many thanks,
Marion

Greywoolfe

I've just begun using my Thoth recently, and it's certainly opened my eyes to what Tarot can do! The deck comes across as a 'no-nonsense' deck, and tells it like it is; the trick is to know that, and accept what it says, because when it tells you something about yourself, it's warts-and-all, no holds barred!