Reading someone without permission.

The crowned one

I was thinking about doing a reading on my nieghbour/friend as he just told me he might be selling his house, and his reason seemed veiled,his eyes downcast when he gave his answer to my asking why. It is his right to tell me anything he wants, and if I sit down and have a few beers with him he certainly will spill the beans, but I was going to do a reading now to see why he is moving, and what problems he is having. Then it crossed my mind I have not asked him if I could do this, and I am not even sure if it is possible to read someone else without them being aware of a question this direct. I think I could do it, but is it ethical? I guess we do read without permission every time we read a relationship question for someone so it should not be a problem if I read my neighbour...but.. Maybe I feel I am just being nosey rather then helpful at this point, reading for the wrong reason.

Papageno

can it be done? yes.
should you do it? that's up to you. who am I to cast stones.
have I done it? yes.

but common sense tells you the reason is probably financial and if you really have to know then use the cards. don't embarrass the poor man any further by bringing it up again, not unless he volunteers to share this with you.
if he can't look you in the eye, it can't be good.

that's how I would handle it.

The crowned one

Papageno said:
can it be done? yes.
should you do it? that's up to you. who am I to cast stones.
have I done it? yes.

but common sense tells you the reason is probably financial and if you really have to know then use the cards. don't embarrass the poor man any further by bringing it up again, not unless he volunteers to share this with you.
if he can't look you in the eye, it can't be good.

that's how I would handle it.

Money crossed my mind but we are a pretty well off nieghbourhood, Still you are right, it can't be that good.

Your way of handling it seems kind.

I like the it can be done part, but not necessarily for my friend. I figured as much.

Grizabella

Maybe he just felt like it wasn't anyone else's business why he was selling his house.

What I'd say is--do the reading if you're curious, but just do it as an exercise in seeing whether the you're reading the cards accurately. Then if you do find out the answer from him, it will be interesting to go back and see what you interpreted the cards as saying.

Just came back to say that we're always reading for others without their permission even when we think we're not. Everyone needs/ask for readings about situations that involve other people in some way, and if we refused to do those readings, we wouldn't be doing very many readings at all.

Sinduction

I honestly don't see the harm in it. Some refer to it as "psychic spying" I say meh. They're just cards with little pictures on them. :)

It would be good exercise too, for checking accuracy. I agree.

The crowned one

Solitaire* said:
Maybe he just felt like it wasn't anyone else's business why he was selling his house.

What I'd say is--do the reading if you're curious, but just do it as an exercise in seeing whether the you're reading the cards accurately. Then if you do find out the answer from him, it will be interesting to go back and see what you interpreted the cards as saying.

Just came back to say that we're always reading for others without their permission even when we think we're not. Everyone needs/ask for readings about situations that involve other people in some way, and if we refused to do those readings, we wouldn't be doing very many readings at all.

Just about what I was thinking.

Papageno

The crowned one said:
Money crossed my mind but we are a pretty well off nieghbourhood, Still you are right, it can't be that good.

Your way of handling it seems kind.

I like the it can be done part, but not necessarily for my friend. I figured as much.

yes, there are other reasons why people move......but if they're being evasive, can't look you in the eyes instead being casual and forthcoming about it; well..... my experience has been he may be doing you favor by not spelling it out............
there are some things in peoples lives you're better off not knowing about

IMHO do yourself a favor and just use the cards

it's a really fascinating exercise

TomTom

I had this discussion with my friend who thinks nothing of consulting the tarot about other people without permission.

Tarot cards are just cards made of paper? Don't we expect to receive honest answers from the cards? If yes, then I firmly believe that asking without permission is ethically wrong.

To me, unfortunately, it is not mentioned in the tarot ethics code at all.

If you absolutely want to know, ask your neighbour directly. Otherwise wait until that person is ready to talk.
You may ask what YOU can do to help your neighbour.

Aside from all this, I think that too much of what you are thinking, what you are inferring, will give you not the right answer.

Regards

TomTom

Debra

I'm inclined against it.

If you're his friend, you should respect his wishes--but give him a chance to talk if he's troubled and feels so inclined.

If you're not his friend, you should...ah....mind your own business, unless you fear that his reasons for moving might have a direct impact on you.

The crowned one

Debra said:
I'm inclined against it.

If you're his friend, you should respect his wishes--but give him a chance to talk if he's troubled and feels so inclined.

If you're not his friend, you should...ah....mind your own business, unless you fear that his reasons for moving might have a direct impact on you.

I hear what you are saying. I used my question as an example for a general inquiry for discussion. Still I appreciate all the direct feed back to my example as it is relevant.