LS Secret Tarot - The Lovers

Centaur

In my version of this deck, this card is called The Lover, and not the Lovers. Is this a misprint?

Anyway... on to the card...

In this card a young man is stood. He appears to be dressed rather smartly, and his hands are in a position which suggests deep thought. Before him stand two women.

One of these women (the woman on the far right) is rather sophisticated looking. She looks like quite a classy gal, LOL. Where is she heading? It is almost as though she is heading into a building, perhaps for dinner or some other event.

The other woman in this card, looks as though she has been lurking in the alley at the side of the restaraunt!!!! Or, is she stood at the entrance of a brothel? I would imagine that she would not be out of place in a window selling her trade in Amsterdam. LOL. Anyway, she is also holding up her dress to reveal her undergarments to the young man. I imagine that she is most definetly a lady of the night! And he is most definetly tempted!

So, what does this tell us? Firstly, the man appears to be choosing between these two women (a rather traditional depiction of the Lovers card). He seems to be choosing between a deep relationship with the sophisticated woman on the far right and a quick tumble in the hay with the exhibitionist on the left.

Notice how the 'exhibitionist' seems to be appearing out of the shadows, whilst the sophisticated looking lady is in the light.

Also, what is that thing in the top left hand corner of the card? Is it a window?

contrascarpe

I don't have this deck with me at the moment, but do remember the card. My first reaction was that it did accentuate the meaning as being "choice". Whereas many times, new readers believe this is the card of love, I always like to think of it as a tough decision, or for someone to pay attention to every detail. For real love to work over a long period of time, you have to remember to discard the superficial and search for something deeper. I find this card to be a not so subtle depiction of the merits and/or pitfalls of choice.

Dan

Centaur

contrascarpe96 said:
I find this card to be a not so subtle depiction of the merits and/or pitfalls of choice.

I like that take. Yes... I would agree.

You talk about the need to discard the superficial, which would be neatly expressed in the wares of the 'exhibitionist' and her promise of one night of pleasure. Whilst the more deeper aspects may be found in the glance of the more sophisticated woman.

:)

contrascarpe

Centaur said:
I like that take. Yes... I would agree.

You talk about the need to discard the superficial, which would be neatly expressed in the wares of the 'exhibitionist' and her promise of one night of pleasure. Whilst the more deeper aspects may be found in the glance of the more sophisticated woman.

:)

Exactly, temporary pleasure vs. long-lasting solace. I find the same theme prevelant in the Seven of Cups - time to make an informed choice. I can't remember the Secret Tarots version of the 7 Cups, but the typical RWS always shows the pretty girl amongst treasures, castles, etc.

On a separate note, I did my first reading the other night with this deck and it I found it very accessible. In fact, I am doing a reading for my fiancee's friend tonight and have been mulling which deck to use - I think this is the one!

Dan

Centaur

I just started another thread on the 7 of Cups. LOL. I really like your take on the Lovers. It makes complete sense.

I am glad that you are finding the deck to be stimulating. I too have found that the readings it provides are very meaningful.

mj07

ahhh, this card is one of the primary reasons I bought the deck. I came across some of the Marseilles cards some place a couple months ago and saw the card more clearly as indicating CHOICE as opposed to LOVE (SO many people see this as the soul-mate card, which, I believe, is actually the 2 of Cups) and read it wrong. I wanted a deck badly where the archetype of choice was illustrated.

a couple notes:

why is the man holding up his pointing/index finger with the right hand and all five fingers with the left. who else in the deck points or holds up his hand? The Knave of Wands points upward with his left, the 3 of Pentacles artist points at his work, I think the devil holds up all 5 fingers, the Devil holds up two fingers (like the Hierophant, although in the Marseilles he holds up five like he's waving hello!) Okay, I guess that was fruitless rambling... although, totalled, he's holding up 6 fingers, the number of the card.

The woman displaying her wares is wearing green, interesting a colour of fertility, while the more proper woman is in virginal blue! The one has red hair, passion, while the other blonde, sunlight?

And good question, what IS that thing in the top left corner?

PS I think the fact it says "lover" is a misprint since the German is plural!

lunakasha

I just wanted to post a quick note here.....letting everyone know that my Secret Tarot is due to arrive this coming Wednesday.....FINALLY! :D

I am very much looking forward to posting to all of these threads....this deck is so lovely, I have been intrigued by it for a very long time.

I also agree with everyone who mentioned that The Lovers card is supposed to represent "choice", although the image does not always reflect that meaning.....

I am dying to know what that "thing" is that you mention....I will check this card (when I get them) and post here very soon.....

:D Luna

Centaur

mj07 said:
why is the man holding up his pointing/index finger with the right hand and all five fingers with the left. who else in the deck points or holds up his hand? The Knave of Wands points upward with his left, the 3 of Pentacles artist points at his work, I think the devil holds up all 5 fingers, the Devil holds up two fingers (like the Hierophant, although in the Marseilles he holds up five like he's waving hello!) Okay, I guess that was fruitless rambling... although, totalled, he's holding up 6 fingers, the number of the card.

Interesting! I had never noticed that before. Perhaps the number six is indicative of the sixth sephiroth of the Tree of Life which is associated with pleasure, harmony, and depth. He may be debating which of these ladies has the best to offer in terms of the above qualities.

mj07 said:
The woman displaying her wares is wearing green, interesting a colour of fertility, while the more proper woman is in virginal blue! The one has red hair, passion, while the other blonde, sunlight?

Nice take!

mj07 said:
PS I think the fact it says "lover" is a misprint since the German is plural!

Thanks for clarifying that. It was puzzling me! :)

Originally posted by Lunakasha
I just wanted to post a quick note here.....letting everyone know that my Secret Tarot is due to arrive this coming Wednesday.....FINALLY!

Yay! It will be cool to have you posting here too. ;)

hyatt

Oh what a joy this card is! I think it is interesting that the woman showing off the goods is in the center and her well... panties are in the true center highlighted with blue. When I glance at this card it is always the first thing I see. As far as the hand, the five fingers like the devil are pointed to the tempter and the one is to the nice lady. What a great card, I think that everyone in all walks of life and any relationship can relate to this card. We are all tempted with options.

mj07

BTW, I can't take credit for noticing the fingers, I think whoever reviewed it on Tarotpassages mentioned it! It IS pretty interesting, though, and you can come up with different takes on it!