Your Very First Time .......

Alta

My first deck was the standard Rider deck, purchased in Vancouver in 1971. It was my first posting, I was at the other end of the country from my family and well, it just seemed cool. I also wound up with a little group of buddies and we had our tea leaves read, crystal balls gazed and so on. I don't recall there being any other decks in the shop.

Honestly didn't get another one until years later (late 90's) when I bought the Robin Wood at Little Mysteries in Halifax. I LOVED that deck and also her book. I studied it obsessively for over two years. Since then I don't think that any one deck has had such an impact as those two, but there are quite a few that I favour now.

While I was in Whitehorse (mid 70's, northern Canada), I got to know a woman who used a cute little oracle deck. She taught me how to read it and we even did public readings. I didn't know how to get a deck like that for myself, she had gotten hers in Europe, but years later I found it on the internet and got a copy.

faunabay

My first deck was actually the New Palladini. I bought it because the store clerk said it was a beautiful deck and I'd wanted to learn about tarot for quite a while. I did think it was beautiful but didn't get much from the pictures. So I went back a couple of months later and the first deck I picked myself was the Tarot of the Old Path. That's the one I feel is more MY first deck.

OctoberGwen

My first deck was the Morgan Greer, which I bought when I was in my teens. It still holds a very special place in my heart (and I still have it, thankfully.)

It's like greeting an old friend when I pull out that box!

Golden Moon

I still remember the Tarot Egipcios by Dr. Moorne being my very first deck at the age of 14. What made it so special was that it was a gift from my Grandmother and Mother. Little did I know that there was a companion/manual book for using this deck. For 4 years I had been using it with my own intuition. When the book was gifted to me by a family friend, I hardly ever used it being that my intuition guided me through out. I still have the book and go through it once in a while.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a2VAQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0

Carla

My first deck was the Osho Zen in November 2009. I bought the Universal Waite shortly thereafter when I found it was RWS based, so I could find out about RWS. Since then, it's been a year of tremendous growth and learning as well as money-spending! :)

canid

Mine was the RWS, purchased in the early '70's from a 'Head Shop'. That was the only deck they had. I thought it beautiful, gorgeous; more for the idea of what it WAS. I had faith even then that it 'worked' because of my grandmother. I wish I still had this deck but I can't remember whatever happened to it over the years. My next was either Hanson-Roberts or Moon Garden - I've since blossomed in ecstacy over the myriad of decks available.

Styx

My first deck was the Mystic Faerie Tarot, which I bought just six months ago - I really am a newbie. I was not into tarot reading before, and I was simply drawn at the beautiful pictures by Linda Ravenscroft, whom I had long known as a great artist. The deck came with a book by Barbara Moore: it was both fascinating and soothing. I had always found the cards of the classical Tarot de Marseille quite frightening, and the Mystic Faerie Tarot was a much "tender" way of approaching this art.
Now I am trying to learn and already dreaming for a a dozen other beautiful decks...

Brigid

The first deck I bought for myself was the Sacred Circle when it first came out, followed closely by the Mythic.
I prefered the Mythic because I wasn't as keen on the artwork on the SC, plus for many years I had been obsessed with Greek Mythology.

But I remember in my early teens a few friends and I used to get together in various clandestine settings to read each other's cards (yellow box RWS.)
One location included a local haunted house, but we freaked ourselves out the first time we went there after dark and didn't go back. :p
We had our own little 'secret club' and thought ourselves pretty cool. lol
I don't remember what happened to those cards.

DaughterOfDanu

My first tarot deck was the Thoth and I couldn't understand it at all. Plus the artwork was very unsettling to me.

So I found the Selina Lin Manga Tarot- but again it was unreadable to me as I had trouble reading with unillustrated pips.

Then, passing by the tarot section of Barnes and Noble I found the Easy Tarot pack. I saw the Gilded's "Sun" card and loved its coloring so I bought it. I read the book and decided now was the time to learn the tarot. So I worked hard to learn the meanings and pick up my own unique style of reading.

So the Gilded was my first deck that I was able to read with. I love the bright colors and how familiar the deck is to me. That "Security Blanket" comfort just can't be found with any other deck.