Religion and Tarot

Alpha-Omega

franniee said:
I am a christian (eastern rite catholic to be specific) but I follow it MY way. The basics.... not all the man made lunacies... ie no contraception, no gays, no tolerance.... :D Tarot cards are not evil - people are....

:heart:

Eastern Rite? Would that be the same as Byzintine Catholic? Just wondering

memries

asphodel.. although you replied to me in your post #33 I have read the rest of the posts up to date now. There is one thing Jesus loathed in the Bible and that was ... self righteous people. Was that not what the Pharisees were ? In our life we have self righteous people as well and trust me they are very boring. Once you can spot that attitude, head for the hills.

I believe that is a big part of what goes on in religious circles. Everyone knows what is best for everyone else and are so proud of themselves. How about the lack of some of them being humble ?

If you think I am being judgemental... I do not judge people but I can certainly judge actions and have an opinion on them. Actions are better to watch than words.

Teacups

exactly. Judge 'em by their fruits

inuzrule

I'm somewhat of an agnostic. I believe that MAYBE something out there in the cosmos made us what we are today. Maybe formed the universe, and let the universe run its natural course after that.

I also like the teachings of Buddha, of letting go of all material wants and realizing that to become angry, sad, or impatient is futile.

(And hey, I like the sound of that Omnist thing...maybe I should add that to my repetoire.)

Okay, enough trying to define what it is exactly I am. I use Tarot cards to seek inner truths and guide me on my chosen course throughout life. I like learning, and the world of Tarot is a neverending well of information, ready to be absorbed by yours truely.

HearthCricket

Ready? I am about as eclectic as you can get! I was brought up as an Episcopalian, converted to the Roman Catholic Church, with a strong leaning toward the Orthodox Churches (see Icons!), and a great love for Buddhism. I never really saw God as someone male or female, but rather the Creator of all with many faces, depending on one's own culture or beliefs. In more recent years I have had a growing interest in Pagan religions, seeing how various faiths build upon others, as well as Wiccan practices due to my love for nature and the seasons and a more personal belief system. I guess the best way to sum it up is I have no problem mixing my beliefs, and tarot/oracle reading, meditation or pathwork has only enriched my own mix of faiths, as well as that of learning not only to respect other faiths, but learn from them, as well. :) And on top of that, I believe in fairies, too!

Alta

Moderator note:

Hello folks,

I deleted a few posts that were off topic, the topic being the interrelations between religion and tarot. And, as this is one of the tarot forums, please keep that link. There are other threads strictly on religious beliefs in Spirituality.

Thanks for your understanding,
Marion
co-Moderator, Talking Tarot

Teacups

to finish the question at hand, I use Tarot to understand people and their motives, and relationships between people. Not so much for events

NightQueen

8ofcuper said:
I don't think that there's anything evil about being not chirstian. I mean if being christian was the only way to God, then a huge part of the world are going to Hell. And where's Gods love in that?
There were religions which exsited long before christianity was born such as the Pagans,The Goddess was worshiped long before the christian God was born, also the native americans exsited long before christianity and both these faiths are as strong as they were in the Old days, were all people before christianity sinners? I agree christianity is just one of many religions and faiths!

SunChariot

Wow, what a lot of answers you got in just 3 days?

Personally I am Jewish, but not religious enough to know if it is forbidden by my religion, although I suspect so.

My experience has been that learning how to read the cards and reading itself has made me a more religious person. In the sense that I was brought up by two atheists, but my experiences with my cards have shown me SO many things that could not possibly be mere coincidence. My cards have cemented my belief in a higher power, in G-d. I don't believe I would have ever gotten to this point without Tarot, in fact I know I would not have.

As well experiences I have had with my cards, have taught me to beleive in angels (and they are an enormous presense in my life now), as well as faeries.

So what so many religions frown on for me has turned an agnostic into a believer and someone who believes life just happens to her to someone who has tools to co-create my life. Although, in another sense, the cards have lead me to develop my own personal sense of spirituality,with parts borrowed from different religions. They have taught me to believe in reincarnation, for one, and that is not a true part of my religion, in the way I beleive in it now.
It's lead me to explore different spiritual concepts and taught me some are right for me and others are not, whether or not they belong to the religion I am in.

In that sense, I can see why a particular religion might not like a tool that might encourage you to find your own truths. Religions want you to believe in all that they embrace, not pick and choose.

My cards are my greatest tool for creating my future, my tool to clarify confusion and to sooth any pain in my life. They're I guess you could say one of my greatest coping tools. Not to mention my career to some extent as I am just starting out as a professional. I can't imagine my life without them, it would be....less.

Babs

SunChariot

Alpha-Omega said:
I am Greek Orthodox, I see Tarot as a way to speak with God. Like pray you talk to god, but you dont hear God speak back. But with tarot God can respond back. My belife is that if I am ment to know the answer to a question I ask, Then god will tell me, if God does not want me to know Then he wont let me. Tarot to me is also a great self-help tool.

very much agree! That has been my experience too. And for me that is the source of the answers I receive through the cards.

Babs