Different sizes of the Thoth deck

RLG

dwtw

I have a question regarding variant sizes of the Thoth deck. I recently purchased a standard size deck, 1986 printing, which came with no box. Although my white box Thoth from 1986 is 110mm x 70 mm, this used deck is 110mm x 74mm, thus being 4mm wider.

Does anyone know if this deck came from the original Mirror of the Soul deck and book set, (not the reprint)? Or is it perhaps a Blue Box Swiss from 1986?

The image size is the same on both of the decks I have, only the border is wider; but a telltale sign is that the center of the Rose Cross on the back is more circular, whereas on the standard version, it is more oval. This leads me to believe that it has not merely been printed with a larger border, but that it was deliberately made wider.

So I'm wondering if anyone who has either of the decks mentioned above can confirm their dimensions. Does anyone else have a standard size Thoth deck from 1986 that is 74mm wide?

Litlluw
RLG

Grigori

Do you have a copy of the new version RLG? I've heard that the new version is true to the original proportions of the images, it might be interesting to whip out the calculator and compare the ratio's.

RLG

The usual 'standard size' Thoth has an image ratio of 55mm by 88mm, which is a ratio of 1.6 exactly.

The new 2008 Thoth version has an image size of 55mm by 86mm. That's a ratio of 1.563 to 1.

The original paintings are 10.5" by 16.5", which is a ratio of 1.571 to 1.

So it looks like the newest Thoth printing does reproduce the original size ratios, (considering that my measurements might be off by half a millimeter, and that the paintings may not be precisely 10.5 x 16.5)

Nevertheless, my original question still stands, since the second deck I have has the same image size as the usual standard, (55 x 88), but is slightly wider overall. Still wondering where this deck came from.