The Four Door Spread

shininglion

The Four-door Spread: Popularized by (dare I say it?) Miss Cleo. Great because it has no positional meanings and is interactive and can be added upon, rather than static.

(I have no idea where this originated. I could swear I found it here on these forums originally, but I've searched and cant find it, so I've gone ahead and posted it. If anyone can dig up a source I'll tag it on here.)

Shuffle the deck, then cut it into four piles from left to right.
(1) (2) (3) (4)

Flip the cards over vertically from left to right, and place them above the stacks. If you flip each card, they land on top of the stacks (represented by A,B,C,D)

(A) (B) (C) (D)
(1) (2) (3) (4)

Now, flip another card from each stack, and place it on top of the stack you flipped it from (represented by E,F,G,H)

(A) (B) (C) (D)
(E) (F) (G) (H)

You now have 8 cards in front of you in whatever orientation. Read the spread as a general story, no card positions apply. The spread is basically sequential as far as time goes from left to right, top row to bottom.. the way you'd read this paragraph is basically how you read this spread. so card A would be more present than card H.

To read further into the story or to get more information for your reading, depending on the question you may have to repeat this a couple times, move cards E, F, G, H up and place them on top of cards A, B, C, D. Flip a card from each stack on the bottom row again.

This is how the spread works, you can continue to read lines of cards until you gather enough information pertaining to the question.

Helpful Tip: Read cards that may represent people as the “nouns” and cards that represent situations or events as the “verbs”. Pay close attention to the juxtaposition of cards with one another in order to find out how they interrelate.

meghandawson`

I got so excited about this spread I tried it out before reading it all the way through so I didn't know you had to have a question, but I still got a story!
I was a love story of a man lusting towards the woman and they get together and settle down only to have the woman cheat on him.

my mind is blown.

Golden Moon

I've got to try this out. This sounds very interesting.

LeRoy3

I really like this.

Chiriku

Shininglion,

I remember we talked about this spread last year and I am glad to find it here. Thank you very much for posting.

As someone raised in tarot spreads with set, clearly defined positions, this will be a challenging layout for me but it is a challenge I seek out at this stage in my life. I want to become adept at reading without set positions. We'll see what comes of my work with this spread.