Am I Procrastinating?

Zephyros

Unless you study "why" each card means what it means esoterically, I actually wouldn't recommend you learn by rote, since Tarot is far from merely learning the meanings by heart. Understanding why a card means what it means, and more importantly, what it means for you is paramount. Actually look at the card, not at what it says, and it may take a minute, an hour, maybe a day but eventually you wil have that moment where you do derive meaning from the image itself. That meaning may or may not be traditional, and will probably change over time, but it will be yours, and will work for you. I use the Thoth which has the reputation of being a cereberal deck. That may be so, but although I study the occult significance of each card (constantly!) it always boils down to me and the images.

Tarot is not learned, in my opinion, it is experienced, and the cards are merely tools. The reader is the one who does the work.

SunChariot

So, I'm fairly new to tarot, and have done a tarot journal. I first started with writing my card definition and keywords on sheets of paper, then, transposed them into a notebook, (changing and rethinking my keywords and notes), and now, am AGAIN transposing my notes and keywords into yet another notebook (just a 3 ring binder type so I can add/remove notes as I need to). I guess my question is...do any of you find yourself ever doing this?

I almost feel like I've been scouring books, internet definitions, reading others interpretations here on AT, and somehow second guessing all my work (it's not really MY work...I've used my LWB and some books for reference), but I also try to "intuit" my cards, but have found the Aquarian Tarot a very hard deck to "intuit"...do you think I'm procrastinating on just sticking with one set of terms/definitions and going with it (because sometimes I'll find myself going from one journal to the other to make my card definitions fit) I'm just wondering why I'm so hard set against sticking with one set of keywords/definitions?!!!

I personally find an online journal easiest. First because I can barely read my own handwriting. LOL And because it is so easy to copy and past articles in. I tend to use Evernote.

Although at this point in where I am in ti mainly a collection of readings I found important. I don't tend to save much more anymore.

Back to you, :grin:, no I don't think you are procrastinating, I just think that inside you your intution knows you have not yet found/developped that exact right reading method for you and you are still looking for it inside. You haven't yet found your best way for you personally, the way that is best for you and gives you that AHA moment that says that this is exactly what Tarot is and should be for you. I think you are still seeking it.

Which hey, is normal in the beginning. It takes time to find as no one can tell you waht it is. The path is different for each of us and you have to find it sortof from the inside out.

I think you find it so hard to stick to one set of keywords, because the ones you are using don't fit you well enough. While scouring different methods and meanings is part of the process of learning to read, you have to trust yourself and the powers sending you the answers to read. You need to stop second guessing your work as that will slow you down.
That of course comes with pratice too.

One way is to let go and do a series of readings on things that are goign to happen in the near futurem, in say a week or two. Then you can see what happens afterwards and compare with what your readings said. At best you will see that your readings where right and that should help you build more confidence in your current metnods. At worst, you'lll leand some valuable lessons that will teach you how to perfect your reading skills to the point where you can no longer doubt them. Either way its all good. :grin:

I don't know if this will help, but just in case....What I do where reading is ....I have a one word set meaning for each card in the Majors (sometimes 2 or 3, but usually just one). Thats it,thats all I memorized. I refer the Minors (1-10) back to the Majors and add in the suit...eg 3 of Cups=Empress of Cups=caring, nurtruing feelings. I do have a method via reversals where all the Majors are used in thsi way and a method for doing Courts, but that is not important here.

But what i do is that this one work or so set meaning I have for each card is a tiny tiny part of the reading. It is not THE answer, it just points out the general direction of where to look for the answer. The rest of the answer for me comes from the image.

So in the example above, it tells me the answer is somehting about caring feelings. Then I need to find all the rest from teh card. Eg Who has caring feelings for whom?, Which caring feelings are they? What will come from these feelings, what will they develop into?

So, let's say for me that the set meaning being such a tiny part of my answer, ti really is not of vital importance if I tell myself if means this or somethign slightly differnce. It really is not THAT important. Whichever meanings you choose the cards WILL work wtih you to talk to you in that language you set up to talk to them with. Whichever meanings YOU choose that is the ones the cards will follow when talking to you.

And it is not brain surgery (as my Mom would say, LOL). If you decide on one meanings and in time you see it is not working as well as you had hoped you are free to alter your meaing of the card at that time or even to invent a new way. But the only way you can know if something is working as you hope is to choose and work wtih it. It doesn't matter which yo choose, just choose somehting and try and then you will learn what works and what doesn;t and to alter what doesn;t...until you find the best way for you to read.

Hope this helps.

Babs

Pam O

I actually just signed up for the "Newbie Exchange PM Notifications"...I think I'd like to give it a try...you've coerced me!!! HA!

Congrats. Actually I noticed that thread 55 minutes after you posted for the email notifications. :)

SagiChar

closrapexa said:
Unless you study "why" each card means what it means esoterically, I actually wouldn't recommend you learn by rote, since Tarot is far from merely learning the meanings by heart. Understanding why a card means what it means, and more importantly, what it means for you is paramount. Actually look at the card, not at what it says, and it may take a minute, an hour, maybe a day but eventually you wil have that moment where you do derive meaning from the image itself. That meaning may or may not be traditional, and will probably change over time, but it will be yours, and will work for you. I use the Thoth which has the reputation of being a cereberal deck. That may be so, but although I study the occult significance of each card (constantly!) it always boils down to me and the images.

Tarot is not learned, in my opinion, it is experienced, and the cards are merely tools. The reader is the one who does the work.

And, you know, to be perfectly honest with you, I really haven't sat down and studied EACH CARD individually and looked at it for what it means TO ME like you said. I've always looked at them, yes, but - only to compare them to the definitions that I am reading about and logging in my journal...so maybe I should just take the time with each card and look at them and see what they mean to ME (if a feeling SHOULD come to me that is!!). And I couldn't agree with you more, that tarot is NOT learned...it is experienced.....

SagiChar

SunChariot said:
Back to you, , no I don't think you are procrastinating, I just think that inside you your intution knows you have not yet found/developped that exact right reading method for you and you are still looking for it inside. You haven't yet found your best way for you personally, the way that is best for you and gives you that AHA moment that says that this is exactly what Tarot is and should be for you. I think you are still seeking it.

Which hey, is normal in the beginning. It takes time to find as no one can tell you waht it is. The path is different for each of us and you have to find it sortof from the inside out.

I think you find it so hard to stick to one set of keywords, because the ones you are using don't fit you well enough. While scouring different methods and meanings is part of the process of learning to read, you have to trust yourself and the powers sending you the answers to read. You need to stop second guessing your work as that will slow you down.
That of course comes with pratice too.

One way is to let go and do a series of readings on things that are goign to happen in the near futurem, in say a week or two. Then you can see what happens afterwards and compare with what your readings said. At best you will see that your readings where right and that should help you build more confidence in your current metnods. At worst, you'lll leand some valuable lessons that will teach you how to perfect your reading skills to the point where you can no longer doubt them. Either way its all good.

I had to take some time to really let your post sink in! What a great read and there were so many things that I "GOT" and related to! Thank you so much! I am having a hard time writing a reply to everything you wrote here (I'm still new to the BB Code thing so not sure how to paste snippits of your text and then post my replies so bear with me!).

I think you are spot in with "my intuition knows I have not yet found/developped that exact right reading method for me and I'm still looking for it inside"...when I read that...THAT was an AHA moment! Like WOW...maybe THAT'S what's going on here! So many thanks on THAT!!!

And, yes, I'm searching for new keywords, because I DO feel like they DON'T fit! You're right! As I'm re-writing them, (and looking at the associating card) I think, you know, somehow, that just doesn't sound like something that I would say! And I understand exactly what you mean "Whichever meanings you choose the cards WILL work wtih you to talk to you in that language you set up to talk to them with." I get it.

Thanks so much for your post, it's really helped me out alot...and thanks for the time and energy to write it all...it's much appreciated!!

SagiChar

Pam O said:
Congrats. Actually I noticed that thread 55 minutes after you posted for the email notifications.

(Big Teethy Grin) Thanks...I'm really excited!!

SagiChar

canid said:
I'm one of those people that needs to write something down in order to retain it. If that's even possible . Some people are just like that. Only you can tell if it's helping or hindering you. At one point, I adhered post-it notes to the backs of my cards with not only trad keywords, but my own. Made shuffling a bit difficult but it became a safety net, which I didn't even need. Again, you are your worst critic, & only you can judge whether you really need it. Take baby steps?

I am too (need to write things down AND am my own worst critic!!!) Thanks Canid... :)

Pam O

(Big Teethy Grin) Thanks...I'm really excited!!

:D
If, or "when" I finish my ISG reading, I think I may sign up for the next Newbie Circle that opens on 5/16/12 with a "hard to read" deck for me that I have not done yet. Heck, maybe the infamous Aquarian!!!

SagiChar

pam o said:
if, or "when" i finish my isg reading, i think i may sign up for the next newbie circle that opens on 5/16/12 with a "hard to read" deck for me that i have not done yet. Heck, maybe the infamous aquarian!!!

Do it!! Do it!!

ETA: What is an isg reading?
ETA (again)...I just re-read this thread and answered my own question "Intuitive Study Group"...sorry 'bout that!!