thoth study or intuition????

ZenMusic

anyone can use any Tarot for any purpose

Alobar said:
okay, i guess i'll be the lone dissenting voice here.
not alone
Alobar said:
okay,.... but the value of the Thoth deck is that it is SO deep!..in fact the fascinating thing about this deck is the fact that it's seems absolutely bottomless!

the Thoth is one of the greatest tools for growing Wisdom .."the flash cards of the Mysteries." full of potential

Umbrae

Aleister Crowley Quotes

"Do what thou wilt" shall be the whole of the law.

"The fact is that the vast majority of people are absolutely impervious to facts. Test the average man by asking him to listen to a simple sentence which contains one word with associations to excite his prejudices, fears or passions -- he will fail to understand what you have said and reply by expressing his emotional reaction to the critical word. It was long before I understood this fact of psychology. Even to this day, it surprises me that there should be minds which are unable to accept any impression equably and critically. I have heard many great orators. The effect has nearly always been to make me wonder how they have the nerve to put forward such flimsy falsehoods”:

“Intolerance is evidence of impotence.”

Participation deleted

frelkins

Umbrae said:
Now I am not condoning the use of any controlled or psychoactive substances. That said, if you’ve ever used lysergic acid diethylamide and the Crowley/Harris Thoth at the same time…oh boy howdy…

I sense a story waiting in the wings here, Umbrae. Do tell. . .:)

ZenMusic

Umbrae said:
..it seems that there are two schools of thought in the Tarot world.

A) Study study study read everything that everybody has written about it.

B) Study the deck itself, and allow ones own curiosity and thirst for knowledge to lead them to the knowledge sources – which may differ from the ‘experts’.

no.. i don't see it as 2 choices.. I think we're mostly sharing our experience and do agree.... use it as you want.. study or don't study
or use the tarot deck to prop open a window...

anyone can use any Tarot for any purpose

Umbrae

Story Time

Aleister Crowley Quotes

"The fact is that the vast majority of people are absolutely impervious to facts. Test the average man by asking him to listen to a simple sentence which contains one word with associations to excite his prejudices, fears or passions -- he will fail to understand what you have said and reply by expressing his emotional reaction to the critical word. It was long before I understood this fact of psychology. Even to this day, it surprises me that there should be minds which are unable to accept any impression equably and critically. I have heard many great orators. The effect has nearly always been to make me wonder how they have the nerve to put forward such flimsy falsehoods”:

Participation deleted

Scion

Good story, Umbrae. :thumbsup:

But I disagree about your categories. I think there are two perspectives on AT (and in the world) that aren't clear at all. 1 group that believes that experience can be broken down into carefully delineated schools that follow consistent patterns of behavior and uses inexact language to prove the case with certainty... and 1 group that believes that boundaries are subjective, distinctions meaningless, and that definitions are at best misleading. :D

Either way, the real secrets cannot be communicated.

Aeon418

Umbrae said:
I think there are two schools that don't agree...one says "Study" the other says "Live it". And it's pretty obvious on these boards who is of what school and who is of the other.
I don't agree at all. The two schools you mention are only partial and incomplete approaches. Idealy they need to be combined and balanced into one school. (Think Hod and Netzach on ToL)

Study without intuitive insight is just dry book learning. It leads nowhere on it's own.
Intuition without a guiding framework is little more than hunches and guess work couched in the private language of your own psyche. That's fine for most people. But you can't fully communicate your insights to others who don't speak the language of your psyche. So obviously we need a common language, which leads us back to the study of the symbols in the Thoth deck.

Learn the language of the Thoth and then let intuition speak through the language of the Thoth. Afterwards we may still be trading in hieroglyphs, but at least we agree on the meaning of those hieroglyphs. That's the key.
http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/mwt/mwt_03.html

Alta

Pure intuition needs language to express itself. Having looked at dreams and other intuitive insights over the years, through meditation and the like, I think and feel that intuition is often rather bereft of language.

Study of a deck, of a system, as long as that study does not become the end in itself, enriches the ability of intuition to communicate its insights.

Thus, I agree with Aeon418. Pure intuition has no proper grounding nor vocabulary, pure study is dry and eventually tasteless and divorced from the blood and guts of the world.

Marion

franniee

Marion said:
Pure intuition needs language to express itself. Having looked at dreams and other intuitive insights over the years, through meditation and the like, I think and feel that intuition is often rather bereft of language.

Study of a deck, of a system, as long as that study does not become the end in itself, enriches the ability of intuition to communicate its insights.

Thus, I agree with Aeon418. Pure intuition has no proper grounding nor vocabulary, pure study is dry and eventually tasteless and divorced from the blood and guts of the world.

Marion

Excellent Marion!! and so perfect for what I have been dealing with lately. My intuition/empathic abilities have been in overdrive but I am having such difficulty articulating what I am feeling. I can't put any of it into words. :(

A recent example - I met with my daughter's pre K teacher and I wanted to feel what was up (nothing is wrong but I am just testing my abilities) - not put my preconceived anythings on anything. So I tried very hard to be open to the flow and truly listen and feel. I have no idea how to articulate what I felt. It has me perplexed. I have been trying to listen to my inner guide lately instead of what I have done all my life put that thought aside and give the benefit of the doubt..... very hard thing to do. :)

As for the Thoth - I have been debating this as well. I have it and I have the Duquette book and have not made the time to study it as of yet and I just recently got 2 Marseilles decks and need to study them as well. I am a dive in and figure it out on the fly kind of girl but I know a little study is necessary with these. I need a little foundation before I leap! :laugh:

:heart: Laugh and be well,
f

Umbrae

Aleister Crowley Quotes

Participation deleted