Obsession spread

lisaria

Hi everybody,
This is my first spread, just a small one that I came up with. I received the Gilded tarot today and it inspired me to try my hand at this.

**1*2*3**
****4****
****5****

Card 1: what is it that attracts me to this person/thing?
Card 2: Why am I so obsessed with this person/thing?
Card 3: How does this obsession manifest?
Card 4: How can I overcome this attraction/obsession?
Card 5: Outcome

It's a small spread but I hope it will help someone somewhere.
Please let me know what you think.
lisaria

Alissa

Neat idea for a spread, I'd throw in that obsessions often present themselves in our lives in order to teach us a lesson - either by the act of coveting/obsessing, and/or by the pain that can often follow when the obsession is realized and confronted.

Instead of how to overcome it, I would ask "What is this obsession trying to teach me?" I believe that by learning the lesson we're meant to learn by the experience, we are energetically releasing the obsession as well.

Just an idea... thanks again for posting!

lisaria

Hey Alissa,
I knew there was something missing, I just couldn't think of what it could be. Thank you! I'm going to try it with that last question in there and see what comes up. When I did it yesterday the Wheel came up as the Outcome. This will be interesting. Thank you again. :D

TheLovers2

Lisaria

Alissa said:

Instead of how to overcome it, I would ask "What is this obsession trying to teach me?" I believe that by learning the lesson we're meant to learn by the experience, we are energetically releasing the obsession as well.

Lisaria:

I totally agree with Alissa. I was reading your spread and when I came to "overcome," I thought, hmmm. I'd change that one. Then, of course, I read the next post by Alissa and thought, "that's better." I happen to believe that things happen for a reason - and the stronger the "feeling," the more attention I feel one should pay, especially, in terms of "What is this trying to teach me?" Why, did it happen? The reasons we are drawn deeply to someone or something are so personal, that they can be wonderful opportunities for us to learn more about ourselves. Just the fact, that someone else will take a look at that thing or that person and say, "I don't get it. What do you see in him/her/that?" So, it's all about you.

Unless, it is causing some real negativity in your life or someone else's, I don't think that it needs to be "fixed" as though something is "broken," i.e., jumping to overcome it. Perhaps, nothing is broken, but, there is just an opportunity to learn. If you desire to overcome it, you'll be better able to do that once you understand the lesson or why it happened in the first place.

Just my thoughts. Good spread, Lisaria! :)

TL2

TheLovers2

Lisaria -

One more thing . . . case in point -- Tarot. How many of us are obsessed with Tarot? See, what I mean?

I don't know about you, but, I ain't lookin' to overcome it. Learn what it's trying to teach me, yes, but, overcome it - NO WAY!

In the words of the old song by Diana Ross:

"If there's a cure for this, I don't want it. If there's a remedy, I'll run from it." :D :D :D

TL2

Trogon

Re: Lisaria -

TheLovers2 said:
One more thing . . . case in point -- Tarot. How many of us are obsessed with Tarot? See, what I mean?

I don't know about you, but, I ain't lookin' to overcome it. Learn what it's trying to teach me, yes, but, overcome it - NO WAY!

Ah... but you see... Tarot isn't an obsession... it is merely one of the paths to enlightenment. We're not obsessed... we're learning... and learning... and... oooh I want that deck to learn with too! :D

But... Lisaria... excellent idea for a spread. I'm very glad you posted it - it's going into my Tarot journal. Thanks!

[edited to add:]
I would make one small adjustment to this spread though, now that I think about it. Along with "person/thing" (such as with card 1) I would add "behavior", since we can become obsessed with certain behaviours, such as shopping or stealing. Just a thought.

lisaria

You guys are so good!! :D
I'm really glad that all of you actually looked at my little spread and to stop and post and give me suggestions are great! I really appreciate it. Thank you!
I AM obsessed with the tarot and I see that there are many of us out there. :D

nodntap

lisaria said:
You guys are so good!! :D
I'm really glad that all of you actually looked at my little spread and to stop and post and give me suggestions are great! I really appreciate it. Thank you!
I AM obsessed with the tarot and I see that there are many of us out there. :D

So add, 'Is this obsession good for me? Will it enlighten me in some way?'

Don S.
<Content removed per administration, no websites listed>

TheLovers2

It's GROWING.

nodntap said:
So add, 'Is this obsession good for me? Will it enlighten me in some way?'

Don S.
<Content removed per administration. No websites listed.>

Don, good idea. I'll be adding that to my version of this spread. I think it's a good and viable question to ask. The word "obsession," has negative connotations attached to it all too often. It's in keeping with the "learning" aspect, but, takes it further. Yes, it could be bad for you, but, it COULD also be good and help to ENLIGHTEN you in some way. I definitely like that.

By the way, I checked out your website and I will be using/working with it. I am including it in my favorites and am looking forward to trying some of the exercises. Really cool. Thank you for letting us know about it.

Note to Lisaria: Your spread is growing, girlie. :D It may end up as long as a Celtic Cross. :)

TL2

nodntap

Re: It's GROWING.

TheLovers2 said:
By the way, I checked out your website and I will be using/working with it. I am including it in my favorites and am looking forward to trying some of the exercises. Really cool. Thank you for letting us know about it.

TL2 [/B]

The updating is going slowly and has turned into something of a nightmare. I have quite a few things added and updated but I need to transfer the updates and additions from my laptop to my big puter and then upload them to the Tarot Studies site.

But I'm way busy with other stuff - like moving from S. California to Arizona.

Don S.