Wheel of Life - a 3 deck spread

velvetmirage

When I'm doing readings I will often lay my cards in a fairly "random" manner. However I have recently begun using a new spread that I devised for my live clients. I have yet to try it for chat or phone readings as it is a very detailed spread and takes a long time to cover.

The first thing that you will need for this spread is 3 decks. They can be three different decks or three of the same deck, it doesn't matter, but you need three for the spread to work properly. A mini- one layer version can be done with one deck, but you'll see in a moment what I mean about needing three decks.

Shuffle each of the decks seperately (no they don't get mixed together!) in whatever manner you are accustomed to. Take up the first deck and begin to lay out the cards in the manner shown below. This layer is the past and is interpreted first.

---------------------- 5 - 6 ---------------------
----------------12-- 1 --- 2 -- 7 ----------------
----------------11-- 4 --- 3 -- 8 ----------------
----------------------10 - 9 ---------------------

(1) (2) (3) (4) represent the querant. Who they are, how they view themselves within the world, and how the world affects them.

(5) and (6) are the Northern cards, representing the Earth element. These represent what is going on in the home and career of the querant. These two positions are associated with the suit of Pentacles.

(7) and (8) are the Eastern cards, representing the Air element. These represent the mental state as well as the troubling times of the querant. These two positions are associated with the suit of Swords.

(9) and (10) are the Southern cards, representing the Fire element. These represent the creative drive and forces fo the querant. These two positions are associated with the suit of Wands.

(11) and (12) are the Western cards, representing the Water element. These represent the emotions of the querant, as well as love relationships. These two positions are associated with the suit of Cups.

(1), (2), (3), (4) are center cards, representing the element of Spirit. These cards tie together the rest of the cards as well as sit on their own (confusing I know). Card (1) shows how (5) (6) and (11) (12) work together. Card (2) shows how (5) (6) and (7) (8) work together. Card (3) shows how (7) (8) and (9) (10) work together. Card (4) shows how (10) (9) and (11) (12) work together.

Once the past (first layer) is interpreted, move to the next deck. Lay it out exactly as before right on top of the first layer. This is the present. Each position is interpreted in the same manner, however this is how things are right now.

When interpreting the second layer, take the first layer into consideration. Are any of the same cards showing up in both layers? If so are they in the same position or different positions? This could indicate unresolved issues from the past.

Once the present (second layer) is interpreted, move to the third and final deck. Lay it out exactly as the first two, right on top of the second layer. This is the future. Again each position in the same manner, taking into consideration that this is how things may become.

Again when interpreting the third layer, take the first two layers into consideration. Any cards showing up more than once, etc.

Elemental dignities can add depth to the interpretation of this spread. For example a Wand in position (11) or (12) would be a Fire against a Water - enemies and this could affect the interpretation if you desire.

There is a lot of flexibility in this spread, you can work with it as you please and have fun! Let me know if you use it and if you have any successes with it!

scorpio

VM, i love this spread, i'm bored with my own and i sometimes use a medicine wheel spread but this has more cards per postition and the circular fashion helps where you have alot of cards but don't have to think "now where does the next one go?" plus the past present future gives more clarity that just a double celtic i sometimes do and using differnt decks helps visually separate the overlay so you know which layer is past, present, or future.wow, hope you posted here to share, cause this one is a keeper for my journal, thanks VM!

Phoenyx

VM, I really like this spread, it might become one of my favorites, it's definitely going into my Taorot journal. :D

velvetmirage

I most definitely posted it for sharing! :D It's a very flexible spread, or at least I think it is. For short 10 to 15 minute readings I use it in a single layer with one deck. And it has provided some amazing results using it in its full three deck glory!

Phoenyx

VM, I did a spread last night with the new spread, and while I tried to muddle through it, one part of it that really hit home was the Northern cards which were The Tower and The Emperor....while I didn't quite understand where that was going, today while I was driving home, it suddenly hit me that it was referring to my step-dad's recent moving out of the house. DOH! Shoulda seen that one >.<

velvetmirage

I'm so glad you used my spread! And I'm glad that you were able to make sense of it :)

goddesscarlie

This spread sounds awsome! First I need three decks though :S