celtic cross/different layouts?

light dance

Hi ,me with another question. I've noticed in the spread links there are 2 different layouts for the celtic cross. The difference is in the cards surrounding cards 1 and 2. One layout is a clockwise circle for cards 3,4,5 and 6. The other is an actual sign of the cross. 1st the top then the bottom then the right and lastly the left. I have always used the sign of the cross but find it odd that this process would be substituted in the celtic cross. I know it all comes down to what you do and what is comfortable for you. I would just like to see some comments on this ,maybe there is a hidden meaning.
OK the quest is afoot!!!!

piebald

I was very interested to see your post as over the weekend I have spent a lot of time exploring the different layouts and their positions. I tried to different spreads the clockwise one which you mentioned and one where the 3rd positon is at the crown. At the moment I have decided that I liked the clockwise one, simply because it had a good feel to it when I was interpreting my reading. So I shall stick with that one. I will be interested in what other people have to say about their experenices of using any of the various layouts.

Sillanza

I think you just need to try a few variations and stick with one that seems comfortable and natural to you. A thread on different celtic cross layouts was just moved ... not sure to where!

The one I use is #3 is at the top, #4 is at the bottom, #5 is to the left, #6 is to the right.

light dance

Thanks ever so much for the input. I think I shall post in the thread Major Tom pointed me to as well.
Here is something to ponder. Now this might be a point of nuerotic angst for some and this is not my intention. In any of the fields we are discussing here freedom, and the absense of hang_ups and the all important fluidity of the moment and your inner voice IS ABOVE ALL THE RIGHT WAY TO GO.
For those who have done tantric ,or yogic chakra,visualization therapy there is a level where symbols are inserted in the chakras.My thing was to reverse the symbol, from the printed word as one sees it on paper,so as to be viewed by those I would confront ,or who would stand in front of me, or as I looked down I would see them standing as part of me facing forward.This instead of just placing them as you read them. The same issue cropped up with the celtic cross. It's been a long time since I used the tarot and this site encouraged me to do so. When I reviewed my celtic cross favourite ,it brought about an issue I had with my guru, the symbols placements . As a note here he was not overly concerned to what I was doing and never taught anyone to do what I was doing.
When one makes a sign of the cross the traditional method is first the crown ,then the heart, then the right shoulder crossing the heart to the left shoulder and letting the arm drop to your side. Now, back to the celtic cross.If you were to make the cross for yourself I would say that to mimic your self on the table in front of you it would be this.
3 10
6 1_2 5 9

But then again if you are laying on the table the cards 6 and 5 would be reversed...ok ok I'm filled with neurotic angst and am throwing my own advice out the window here.LOL!!!
I just want some opinions about my idea.If it is not clear where I am going please ask and add to discussion.

This is what I had in mind when first posting the qusetion. What you think?

light dance

yikes!!!!

light dance said:
Thanks ever so much for the input. I think I shall post in the thread Major Tom pointed me to as well.
Here is something to ponder. Now this might be a point of nuerotic angst for some and this is not my intention. In any of the fields we are discussing here freedom, and the absense of hang_ups and the all important fluidity of the moment and your inner voice IS ABOVE ALL THE RIGHT WAY TO GO.
For those who have done tantric ,or yogic chakra,visualization therapy there is a level where symbols are inserted in the chakras.My thing was to reverse the symbol, from the printed word as one sees it on paper,so as to be viewed by those I would confront ,or who would stand in front of me, or as I looked down I would see them standing as part of me facing forward.This instead of just placing them as you read them. The same issue cropped up with the celtic cross. It's been a long time since I used the tarot and this site encouraged me to do so. When I reviewed my celtic cross favourite ,it brought about an issue I had with my guru, the symbols placements . As a note here he was not overly concerned to what I was doing and never taught anyone to do what I was doing.
When one makes a sign of the cross the traditional method is first the crown ,then the heart, then the right shoulder crossing the heart to the left shoulder and letting the arm drop to your side. Now, back to the celtic cross.If you were to make the cross for yourself I would say that to mimic your self on the table in front of you it would be this.
3 10
6 1_2 5 9

But then again if you are laying on the table the cards 6 and 5 would be reversed...ok ok I'm filled with neurotic angst and am throwing my own advice out the window here.LOL!!!
I just want some opinions about my idea.If it is not clear where I am going please ask and add to discussion.

This is what I had in mind when first posting the qusetion. What you think?

my number layout did not come up like i originally typed it so here goes another try.
.....6........1_2........5

then the usual 7 8 9 10 running up along side

Alissa

I adapted the Celtic cross, when I was still using the spread, years ago myself. I chose to read (using the standard layout) Card 3 (bottom) to represent karmic past, card 4 to represent past, card 5 to show karmic goal and card 6 to be future.

I also adapted cards 7-10 a bit too, and found this worked for a while before I began using different spreads far more frequently instead.

Now I almost never use the Celtic cross while reading. It is a lot of cards to read.

But I encourage you to use the adaptions you make as well. If you feel the spread makes more sense to you "your way," then by all means, use it!!! :)

Ivy Rhiannon

Here's the layout I learned:

6...S/1...4......8

The opptional S=significator, and 2 is laid horizontally across 1. I always use the c/c but never assign meanings to the postitions. I just read the cards.

Ace

Speaking of positions....

What about the staff (cards 7-10)? thanks, Major Tom for pointing out that other discussion, but I always have trouble with the 10th card, it is sometimes outcome, sometimes what you are AFRAID will result. I like the idea that it is the end result IF you keep on this road, but it is so often so NEGATIVE, that I have come to see it as fear.

What do you think? Or should this be a separate thread?
Barb

light dance

Re: Speaking of positions....

Ace said:
What about the staff (cards 7-10)? thanks, Major Tom for pointing out that other discussion, but I always have trouble with the 10th card, it is sometimes outcome, sometimes what you are AFRAID will result. I like the idea that it is the end result IF you keep on this road, but it is so often so NEGATIVE, that I have come to see it as fear.

What do you think? Or should this be a separate thread?
Barb
hey great question!!!!
i dunno lol!!
well Major.....