What is a gentler stone than Black Tourmaline?

Labhraín

I have read here that Black Tourmaline is a very powerful stone, and may not be suitable for sensitive people. What stone works the same way as Black Tourmaline, but in a gentler fashion?

PathWalker

I'd say it does depend on what you're needing - Black Tourmaline having various qualities?

But possible the blue or green varients, or smoky quartz?

Let folks know what you're hoping to acheive and I'm sure there'll be other suggestions.
Blessings
PW

Labhraín

Hi PathWalker,

I was looking at Black Tourmaline for a number of things: electromagnetic smog (computers, cell phone, etc.) quieting the mind before bed (my mind just doesn't want to shut off at night, like a computer always running) bad dreams, etc., but also this relates to a thread I had posted a while back, about stones used to strengthen and protect from negativity, both inside and out, but also for shielding from energy. At that time, I was looking for stones to use when at work (I work with the public) I think I must be sensitive to the energy of other people, because sometimes, before they even have said a word to me, it feels sort of like a "dissonant piano chord." Make any sense? Since then, I have read a lot here about stones to use for strength, protection and confidence: some have said black or dark colored stones, others have mentioned Citrine, and still other stones. I have seen mention that Black Tourmaline is a strong stone, and some people just need a gentler stone that does the same thing. I am a little wary of Black Tourmaline as a result, and am looking at other stones that not only help with this but might have other helpful qualities as well. As a thin-skinned person, Black Tourmaline looks like a great stone to have, I'm just thinking now, after reading all this stuff, maybe it's too strong and heavy.

cardlady22

Have you looked at tourmalinated quartz and/or snowflake obsidian? Perhaps as a pair?

Labhraín

No, I haven't looked at those at all, actually. Maybe I'll have a look. I do already have a smokey quartz point that I have next to my computer at home, and it is a nice piece. I like that it's a dark colored stone that has a strong aura to it, but also that it allows light through. Kind of has a "gentle giant" feel to it. I also don't want anything that has too much of a grounding effect.

Chronata

Green and watermelon tourmaline both have similar qualities to the black.
Combine green with smokey quartz for a gentler filter.

Topaz71

Labhraín said:
Hi PathWalker,

I was looking at Black Tourmaline for a number of things: electromagnetic smog (computers, cell phone, etc.) quieting the mind before bed (my mind just doesn't want to shut off at night, like a computer always running) bad dreams, etc., but also this relates to a thread I had posted a while back, about stones used to strengthen and protect from negativity, both inside and out, but also for shielding from energy. At that time, I was looking for stones to use when at work (I work with the public) I think I must be sensitive to the energy of other people, because sometimes, before they even have said a word to me, it feels sort of like a "dissonant piano chord." Make any sense? Since then, I have read a lot here about stones to use for strength, protection and confidence: some have said black or dark colored stones, others have mentioned Citrine, and still other stones. I have seen mention that Black Tourmaline is a strong stone, and some people just need a gentler stone that does the same thing. I am a little wary of Black Tourmaline as a result, and am looking at other stones that not only help with this but might have other helpful qualities as well. As a thin-skinned person, Black Tourmaline looks like a great stone to have, I'm just thinking now, after reading all this stuff, maybe it's too strong and heavy.

I have the same issue and I work with people in psychiatric crises. There have been several times where I would talk to someone and after a few minutes would feel drained- foggy, lethargic, and even on the verge of tears. I wet for Reiki certification specifically for this issue (and it has helped so much except for the fact it has made sensitive to ghosts). I've used black tourmaline, rutile quartz, jet, tiger eye, and Apache tears to keep me grounded and protected.

Labhraín

Interesting list. I did forget that you can balance out a stone's energies with another stone. So Black Tourmaline could be a good stone for me, I would just pair it with a balancing stone. I was just looking online and found a tourmaline beaded bracelet with all the tourmaline colors. Weird, huh? Just browsing and I stumbled across it. Hmm, maybe it's meant to be, time to go shopping....:)

Labhraín

In talking about dark colored stones, another thought popped into my head -would you also take into account your vedic dosha? For me, I am a Vata dosha, and they say dark stones are not good for Vatas, though they can be used in moderation and may be a stabilizing influence. Maybe the green tourmaline is a good choice, as it is a protective tourmaline but is also not dark. How do you balance that? Dark stones are protective, but they can be too heavy for some sensitive types. Finding a happy medium takes some research I guess.

Fostha

Labhraín said:
Hi PathWalker,

Have you tried a piece of black obsidian yet?