Tabula Mundi

Nemia

The Decan cards are great for study. I use them in my calendar, they actually gave me the idea to follow the tarot around the wheel of the year. I haven't yet figured out what to do with them in readings - they have meanings, and could be used simply as tarot cards that distill the meaning of the decans, or as oracle addition... I just wait until the idea comes, like it came for the calendar.

baconwaffles

Well and went and ordered: deck + book + extra decan etc cards.

Not quite sure what the decan cards are for but might as well have the complete deck.

Fingers crossed that there are no Customs charges. I got the app earlier today, looked at the cards and started reading the text all about how the deck came about and was swayed.
Oh goodness I just received the deck after being swayed by the app and am blown away!

silvereye

The Decan cards are great for study. I use them in my calendar, they actually gave me the idea to follow the tarot around the wheel of the year. I haven't yet figured out what to do with them in readings - they have meanings, and could be used simply as tarot cards that distill the meaning of the decans, or as oracle addition... I just wait until the idea comes, like it came for the calendar.

Does the book provide for meanings of the Decan cards?

baconwaffles

Now I am being enabled for the decan cards. Oh... what to do?

Le Fanu

Well I just figured that it would be very frustrating to order the deck, find that I use it and like it and realise that a part of its potential was missing - and much more complicated (and expensive) to order it further down the line. And if you add them to your order its only $11.

I'd probably use them as I use the current moon card in the Smith / Astrop Moon Oracle. What date are we in? 6th June? isn't that Gemini? (looking at the chart above) And that's your central focus for a spread.

I liked the book from what I read yesterday. One thing that was holding me back was that I never truly bonded with the Rosetta and everyone was talking about it and I took the plunge and while I'm glad I own it, the artwork isn't quite as compelling for me.

plus I do find that with Thothy/Thoth-inspired/ Thoth-based decks (whatever you want to call them) - however good they are, you always end up going back to the Thoth anyway. But this one seemed different enough...

Spiffo

I would really encourage you/everyone to spring for the Decan cards. They do something very clever, well the whole deck does, with linking symbols across cards. The Decan cards really cement the aspects of Astrology that are a part of Tarot (well you know) and give you a way into looking at the relationships across the cards. This is a deck that rewards use, but also rewards study.

And check the Tabula Mundi website, where Mel has some great blogposts about the deck and the Decan cards in particular.

Le Fanu

I bought the deck which is currently on the website for $50. Is this the one with hologram backs? I'm assuming it isn't for that price. And can anyone describe for me in lush detail what type of cardstock this deck has? Getting very excited. Mine was shipped yesterday!

Barleywine

I bought the deck which is currently on the website for $50. Is this the one with hologram backs? I'm assuming it isn't for that price. And can anyone describe for me in lush detail what type of cardstock this deck has? Getting very excited. Mine was shipped yesterday!

I'll try! The cardstock is one of the best among many wonderful features. It's sturdy without feeling too rigid or brittle, and is whippy enough to shuffle well. I don't riffle, and it's on the large size, so it might be a challenge for those with smaller hands. My only issue was that mine had a slight burr on one of the backside edges from the cutting or punching process, but that is wearing off through use.

csmith0406

My husband just caught me fondling the deck in order to describe it to you...

I'm far from a cardstock expert but here goes - I love the cardstock for these, the cards are slightly larger than normal, which is good because the art is so beautiful, but the cardstock is flexible, instead of the stiff board stock you get sometimes, so you can still shuffle with ease. And laying them out is satisfying, you can hear a little snappy woosh as the card hits the table. But it is thick enough you can rub your finger along the edge of the deck and feel each card. The cards themselves have a smooth almost silky feel, they are a pleasure to hold. The backs are holographic I think, when I move mine around I can see little flashes of shapes and that is holographic, yes?

csmith0406

Oh, in case you all don't know, Benebell Wen reviewed this deck recently on her blog. The review might be of interest if you are still on the fence.