ADEPT LEVEL; 21 Ways . . . Step FIVE

Jewel

For Dadsnook

Dave you are so right. That is why I took the time to really ponder this, and not just give up. I had to find out why dividing them by number did not really work. Sure I could make up something based on what I know about tarot, but that was not the point of the exercise. It was about getting to know MY deck. I may have an "F" on the exercise itself, but I do give myself an "A" for effort and for thinking through it and finding out how my deck works, versus why it did not fit this numbers exercise. Iguess that means I took option #5 on your list *LOL*.

As the Fantanstic Menagerie does not use esoteric symbolism, it conveys the conglomerate meaning of cards that do have all that symbolism in a single image that captures the meaning of those esoteric elements in one image without breaking it down. It simplifies it. I also find the Fey much like that (one of my other primary reading decks by the way).

I just love the variations in tarot decks. There is always something new to explore and learn :D

Jewel

I am bumping this thread up as Coyoteblack and I will be tackling this in earnest this coming week.

coyoteblack

I thought we are on step 6 and we are doing that web reading for our selves? step 5 is fine though. sorry to the group for lagging behind but IRL and being outsourced looking for a new job is no fun

Jewel

Adept Level - Step 5:2

Well I could not let Squeakmo9 have all the fun of trying to fit triangle shaped decks into square holes, so after two more months of pondering this step (I apparently could not totally let it go), here is a very generalized version of Step 5 exercises using the Fantastic Menagerie (FM). I did not go for the total "fit" but just what I could capture from what I do see in the deck, which was in a very broad manner based on the style of the deck. So without further ado, here is what I have so far:

5:2.2. How are "choices" made or not made with FM 2's?

HIGH PRIESTESS: choices are mande intuitively, using the collective unconscious (represented by the spider web in the door way she is standing under) and her knowledge. Those blend to form wisdom which is ultimately where her choices are made.

JUSTICE: choices are made based on physical evidence. Proof is required in order to ensure that the choices are "fair" (scales and legal setting of card).

JUDGEMENT: choices are based on past experience and enlightenment resulting from that experience. A sense of "calling" also comes into play in these choices, as if one is compeled to make the choice because it is the right thing to do.

2 WANDS: choices are made with a calculated deliberation of the risks, and willingness to take them.

2 COINS: choices are based on their ability to sustain the equilibrium and balance (the status quo).

2 SWORDS: choices are made based on perceived fears and threats. A certain level of paranoia, though possibly justified, seems to exist.

2 CUPS: choices are based on the moment, and influenced by passion.

5:2.3. In the FM deck, balance is a good key word for the 2's, but in looking through the deck I do not think it is applicable to all, or even most, of the other even numbers.

I am going to go ahead and post each activity as a separate post due to the length of them. I chose not to post on the Robin Wood exercise as it was covered very well in other posts here and seemed redundant to rehash.

Jewel

Adept Level - Step 5:3 Key Words

I chose my key word, from words listed in the Fantastic Menagerie companion book instead of looking through the list on 21 Ways. There were fewer of them, and they were listed with this deck specifically in mind, so I thought it would be a good source to draw on.

1's BEGINNINGS:

MAGICIAN: creates a vision which is the place where his "magic" begins to take effect.
THE WHEEL OF FORTUNE: Left to discuss with the 10's.
THE SUN: the roosted begins the day with a crow as the sun comes up. It is a bright beginning.
ACES: All of the aces have a baby on them ... beginning energy of the suit yet to be fully developed and realized.

2's DUALITY: I really did like "choices" which was used in activity 5:2.2. but I also thought that duality applied.

HIGH PRIESTESS: She is at the threshold of the here and now, and of the universal unconscious (other side of the doorway).
JUSTICE: there is the duality between "balance" and "fairness".
JUDGEMENT: enlightenment and rebirth vs. arrogance and self righteousness.
2'S: The two's of each suit actually show within the pictures the duality of each choice they may make. If not explicit in the picture, it is easily understood.

3's CREATIVITY:

EMPRESS: creation and inspiration from nature. Creativity from the source of creation.
HANGED MAN: creation of self. This is a creative evolution.
WORLD: beauty resulting from the synthesis of all creation.
3'S: the 3's of each suit show the various aspects of creative energies in the various elemental realms; from discovery (wands) to physical creation (coins), to emotions that cannot be created or controlled they just are - natural creation (swords), and celebration (cups).

4's MANIFESTATION:

EMPEROR: manifests power, control, glory, fatherhood.
DEATH: manifests the elegance and change that comes with ending and begining cycles ... the consequences.
4'S: Within the suits, as well as the Majors, the FM 4's show the rewards we reap for good or ill.

5's CONSEQUENCES:

HIEROPHANT: from strict teachings or rigid instutitions you breed a followers mentality and rigidity.
TEMPERANCE: from careful blending you get perfection.
5'S: The 5's seem to show that as we act on what we manifest in the 4's we have consequences to deal with. Everything we do has a consequence.

6's PLEASURE:

LOVERS: pleasure of company, commnication, of opposites, general companionship.
DEVIL: pleasure in the forbidden and the dangerous.
6'S: overall, the 6's reflect pleasure in various aspects such as in giving (coins), in traveling and exploring (swords), on one and other (cups), and in victory (wands).

7's FOCUS:

CHARIOT: determination to reach a goal.
TOWER: focus on the current crisis and getting through it.
7'S: overall they show focus on various aspects of life. In finding what can be improved upon (coins), on retaliation and anger (wands), on executing a scheme perfectly (swords), on escaping (cups). All cards show a strong focus on what they are doing within the image.

8's SURRENDER:
STRENGTH: knowing the real difference between real strength and brute strength.
THE STAR: knowing how to let go of the ego and become part of the whole.
8'S: overall they show various forms of surrender and the power of surrender for good or bad; for example hoplessness (swords), to pressure (wands), to genious and talent (coins), to knowing when to walk away (cups). Surrender can be very powerful. True surrender is not a passive act.
I had never thought of 8's in this manner before, but it makes a lot of sense to me when viewing surrender as active and not passive. It ties back into the choices of the two's and the manifestation of the 4's.

9's TRANSCENDANCE:

HERMIT: he transcends by removing himself and seeking solitude. He finds the light ... transcends.
THE MOON: becoming comfortable enough in the shadow to where you can trully see in the night and break down illusions and delusions (like the owl can see in the night).
9'S: in this deck the 9's show a climax in events where the characters in the cards transcend in oder to reach the end of their suits. The show a mind set of determination that results from just reaching a certain point and needing to finalize things no matter what.

10's CULMINATION:
WHEEL OF FORTUNE: It all ends ... and then it all begins again ... then it all ends again ...
SUN: glory and the new day.
10's: In this deck the 10's seem to show the culmination of events from family gatherings to standing over someone dead in the corner. It is the culmination of a specific set of events that will lead to new ones.

PAGES: Apprentices
KNIGHTS: Glant ones
QUEENS: Wisdom
KINGS: Authority

I still have work to do on Activity 5:4 prior to being able to post it.

coyoteblack

Great job Jewel you have a natural organized mind that worked this step real well.

Jewel

coyoteblack said:
Great job Jewel you have a natural organized mind that worked this step real well.
Considering it took me 3 months .... *LOL*, but thanks for the compliment. Lets see what I make of Activity 5:4, so I can put this step behind me one and for all ~sighs~

Jewel

Adept Level - Step 5:4 Sequence

In activity 5:4 we look at the sequence that occurrs between the Ace and 10 of each suit within the deck, using the Fantastic Menagerie, and the work in previous steps this is what I came up with:

WANDS:
Ace: The babe is born and it is the beginning of parenthood as well as the beginning of the this new life full of potential. An adventure for all. The little one is a squaker so there is much energy there.

Two: the babe is a now young man, no longer a bird but some kinds of antelope *LOL*. He now has choices in which direction to take his adventure and he ponders those choices carefully, but knows he will act.

Three: part of making good choices is good research, creatively analyzing things.

Four: One must always take the time to gather and celebrate. Celebration is a natural way of acknowledging (manifesting) successes and future endeavors afterall.

Five: but when you have too much bravado in the same place you will have some dire consequences, and it can be infectious in a not so good way.

Six: Ahhhhhhh but the pleasures of victory when so many bugs admire one. It feels so good!

Seven: the other side of victory is defeat, and that can cause one to turn into dark moods. And if one is focused enough one man can do more than an entire army! Beware of the pissed off boar with the chairs!

Eight: and then you have peer pressure, some just surrender to it and go with the flow as fast as it will go ... without thinking.

Nine: Then here you have someone that must know the pissed off boar pretty well, because this wolf dude looks just as focused, but indeed his has transcended that stage and has mounted the war.

Ten: and at the end of the suit you have a mule working hard pulling a cart -the one that took the rough road of struggles but will persevere, and you have the cow man (and yes I know cows are women but there is a point to this picture), just letting the other one do the work. Life is not fair, but cow-boy will not always be resting easy ... the problem is that mule boy has too much resentment to realize that! They are both equally stubborn and locked into the what they see as the culmination of what has transpired.

COINS:

Ace: ohhhhhh now this little lamb needs nurturing to grow. Lizards to tend him.

Two: and nature is all about balance .... natural balance, so what is that grasshopper doing with the reid? can't he balance on his own?

Three: As we are nurtered, and find balance we begin to create and dream.

Four: granted all those dreams might not go so well, and can manifest as failure.

Five: but if we fail we have consequences, we can become ruthless, become victims, or rise to the occassion like the birds flying away in the distance.

Six: We can be kind and generous and share what little we have. Bring pleasure to others and ourselves at the same time by being kind.

Seven: Then you have those dogs that just take a lick out of your hard work no matter what you do. Just focus and try to keep the dogs in line as best you can. Sometimes when you give an inch people take a mile.

Eight: Other times though you find that you can surrender into perfection, into your own talents.

Nine: And that will rise you on to new hights of inspiration and joy and success. You will transcend ...

Ten: And it culminates with a perfectly orchestrated ceremony, with everything balanced and in order.

SWORDS:

Ace: now here is prickly child ....

Two: and as we grow we become fearful and distrusting, or do we have eachothers backs? are we just paranoid? so much duality.

Three: And then there are the things we do that hurt others even when we do not intend them to, but the hurt deeply. It is a part of the way we are created with that as much as we would like we cannot control.

Four: but there will also be time to bask in the sun, and sometimes one just needs to get away and do that. There is much stress in this world, and when it manifests one needs to sometimes step away.

Five: then we come back from our retreat to more intrigue, and to consequences of things that have happened while we were not even paying attention.

Six: Some things put us on a voyage of discovery, which brings some innate pleasure, at least we are moving and no longer trapped in the intrigue and doubt.

Seven: But beawre of the sly wolf pretending to help the chikens out of the coop, that is a well devised and focused duplicitous plan he has going. Looks innocent enough, but is not. Focus .... never loose sight of what you are really seeing.

Eight: Do not surrender to despair and lock yourself up in your own zoo enclosure! You can crawl over that fence if you want to. You have the power to make the choice to surrender or not.

Nine: and if you fall on your face? Well get up before the hawk eats you! Listen to warnings and scramble. Transcend the fear, do not be paralyzed.

Ten: If you stay paralyzed, you will die and the alligator man will laugh at you before he eats you! There is no pitty here. It is human nature.

CUPS:

Ace: Well this curious little bird wants to go for a swim. He is welcoming the day he saw outside of his shell.

Two: and the cats dancing on the roof tops with no care in this world but the moment. The simplicity of it, regardless of what is happening below.

Three: Ahhhhhh and the celebration of all of our creativity and cleverness!

Four: and ohhhh for those wallowing in self pitty instead of doing something constructive about it.

Five: And the cow watches the cat steal the milk, and the kitty just laps it up ... hell with consequences, some times you have to say what the heck!

Six: and the pleasure of dancing and being close to someone special. Life is just full of such wonderful emotion!

Seven: And the things one can dream of .... all we can do and become ....

Eight: but at times we must also surrender and know when to walk away. It is not about defeat or desertion, it is about taking time out and letting things unfold further.

Nine: Then we can celebrate again with the big ole elephant with all his champagne! Now he is tuff. He has transcended all emotional challenges and taken life by the tusks!

Ten: Like a hard worker bee family. It cannot all be fun, but the culmination of the ride is happiness and fullfillment.

squeakmo9

For the lady Jewel...

What an excellent easy-going flow you brought to this step, Jewel, wonderful! You really made that circle-in-the-square game look effortless, lol!
p.s.
great to have the sonic twins back:D

Verdi

21 ways adept level step 5

21 ways adept level step 5

I decided to combine 5.2 , 5.3. and 5.4 and do the activity with my deck the DruidCraft.
This way I would end up with a complete number/key word and key card symbol for all 78 cards. This makes for a very long list. And I’m still refining it. So the key words may change with time. I have been very restrictive, with just one key word per number, and very specific symbols for me. Some of my sentences are a bit heavy, lol. Got a bit of work there as well. But I feel this is an ongoing process. Just a little note on 5.4. I haven’t strictly answered it, but see in adept level, activity 7.2 will cover this in my opinion.

The Ones (potential)
The Magician is about the potential for energy, commitment and communication (the alter with al the elements).
Ace of Wands is about potential for self growth and creativity (the birch)
Ace of Cups is a potential for love and desire (The five streams)
Ace of Swords is a potential for finding truth (Excalibur)
Ace of Pentacles is a potential for new ideas, gain and security (The bear)

The Twos (choice)
The high priestess is about choosing higher truth and reflection (the HP arms outstretched)
Justice is about decisions, choosing the right path (scales)
Rebirth (Judgment) choosing to hear the call of change and renewal (trumpet).
2 of wands is about the ability to make choices (doorway)
2 cups is about choosing to be joined and relationship (the intertwining of cups)
2 swords is about dilemma, choosing dialog and diplomacy (2 paths 2 swords)
2 pentacles is about adaptability and choosing and balancing new possibilities (Juggling)

The Threes (integration)
The World is about integration of the elements that results in unity, self-actualization and accepting responsibility for ones self
The Hanged Man is about the integration of new perspectives accomplished through sacrifice, surrender or new awareness.
The Empress (Lady) is the integration of nurturing and creativity resulting in fertility and fruition.
Three of Wands is about integration of will, opportunity and leadership
Three of Cups is an integration of friendship resulting in joy and celebration
Three of Swords is integration denied giving heartbreak, loneliness and sorrow
Three of Pentacles is the integration of skills, team working and goals giving results

The Fours (centering, retreat)
The Lord is about centering (bringing together) of power and discipline to achieve ambition (The antler crown and thrown)
Death is about blind centering, requiring letting go to achieve growth (The dolmen and wisps of vapour)
Four of Wands is centering on home, harvest and celebration (The harvest celebration)
Four of Cups is about retreat into lethargy, a fallow time (the spilt cups).
Four of Swords is about retreat, centering on thoughts and dilemmas, a time for reflection (the reflective man)
Four of Pentacles is about wealth and personal worth being the centre of attention (The hidden chest)

The Fives (change)
The High Priest (Hierophant) is about learned change. Tradition and conformity must come first (Wiccan sign of blessing).
Fferyllt (Temperance) is about using change, combining resources to enrich life, through confidence and ambition (the woman combining fluids)
Five of Wands is about change through confronting obstacles in creative conflict (boys playful struggle)
Five of Cups is about feeling loss and learning through the changes of experience and mistakes (the hood figure and his last 2 cups)
Five of Swords is about strife and empty victory, change through using values (the humiliation)
Five of Pentacles is about trails and hardship, time is change (the unhappy woman, almost ready to move on)

The Sixes (combining)
Cernunnos (the devil) is about the mastery of combining the material with freedom for nature and sexuality to be responsible and avoid overindulgence (the sleeping lovers).
The Lovers is about choosing freely to combine elements of head and heart, feeling and intellect (the white hind).
Six of Wands is about combining abilities as leader to achieve goals (the leader comes home),
Six of Cups is about memories and combining renewal and comradeship to give friendship and seeking solace (the children being watched)
Six of Swords, by combining different focuses on the situation and moving towards solutions, will awareness be gained on the problem (relief in the woman’s face)
Six of Pentacles is about combining all your resources to give and which will be returned in like (the giving old man).

The Sevens (challenges)
The Tower is about meeting the challenge of letting things go, and meeting disasters (the pointy tower )
The Chariot is about self control and choosing direction to meet the challenges and your goal (the 2 horses)
Seven of Wands is about meeting the challenges to your beliefs and values, standing firm (man on wall defending)
Seven of Cups is about allowing your self freedom to dream, but meet the challenge of action (hand in water)
Seven of Swords is about gathering information from others, but the challenge is to do it openly and without subterfuge (the quill and swords)
Seven of Pentacles is about meeting the challenge of self doubt and failure, by observing and evaluating, will the path to success be clearer (harvest of mistletoe).

The Eights ((re)-generation)
Strength is about generating the strength to tackle the higher and outer selves, combining them to achieve goals (the hand on the beast)
The Star is about regeneration of the spirit; using self insight I will be guided, cleansed and renewed (the pouring of the water).
Eight of Wands is about regenerating quickly, moving energetically to goals and places The throw of the spear).
Eight of Cups is about moving on, letting go, and generating the energy to seek anew. (the path to the Hermit)
Eight of Swords is about being bounded, blocked and lacking energy, regeneration of the values that bound will help to set free (blindfolded and bound).
Eight of Pentacles is about detail and planning, generating good results ( the heat of the fire)

The Nines (attaining)
The Hermit is about attaining the higher self, for hidden knowledge, requiring patience and caution and guidance (the lantern).
The Moon is about attaining clarity in unknown ground, where fears and insecurities ebb and flow, with confusion and despair (the howling dogs).
Nine of Wands is about experiences, defending your struggle while attaining wholeness and healing (the wounded man).
Nine of Cups is about attaining your true desires and goals and celebrating them (the satisfaction of the man).
Nine of Swords is about suffering and guilt, acknowledging the cause to attain peace and release (the grief in bed).
Nine of Pentacles is about ease and beauty, attaining for a state of calm will bring relaxation and well being (the serene lady).

The Tens (renewal)
The Wheel is about renewal, gaining experiences to adapt to change, and having the resources to tackle shifts in fortune (the wheel in the sand).
The Sun is about renewing those around you with your wisdom, success and wholeness and accepting your abilities and achievements (the boy on the horse in light).
Ten of Wands is about carrying my burdens and achieving my goals, being careful to renew my priorities the self so my burdens do not break me (the bent back).
Ten of Cups is about wholeness and completion, harmony and renewal of affirming joy in life (the family).
Ten of Swords is about letting go, accepting and sacrificing. Through acceptance is renewal possible The swords in back).
Ten of Pentacles is about family and prosperity. Renewal of traditions must be carefully considered as these are the prerequisites of endurance and permanence (the prosperous family).

Princess/Page (beginnings)
Princess of Wands is about daring to begin new self growth and development, unafraid and forthright (on step forward),
Princess of Cups is about being open to begin new love, dreams and relationships (the heart cup).
Princess of Sword is about seeking justice and truth, beginning to see through dark thoughts (the sword).
Princess of Pentacles is about beginning to seeking new knowledge, experience and skills, and taking risks to do so (The huge pentacle).

Knights/princes (action)
Knight of Wands is about taking action for new growth and directions, though the energy can be explosive (leaping over a hillock).
Knight of Cups is about taking action for following love, dreams and ideals though can be moody (standing by the water).
Knight of Sword is about taking action for new ideas and thoughts though can be impatient (the dagger looks).
Knight of Pentacles is about using knowledge and skill actively, though stubbornness can be a hinder (Half hiding).

Queens (nurturing)
Queen of Wands is about nurturing others and using her creative energy, whilst self-confident and passionate, though has a temper (the cat under the chair)
Queen of Cups is empathic and intuitive, nurturing and healing, she is creative and compassionate (the moon and cup).
Queen of Sword is about being critical, intelligent and professional, she nurtures fairness and justice (the sword and bonsai).
Queen of Pentacles is about nurturing trust and security, through love of body, food and land (the hare and tambourine).

Kings (mastery)
King of Wands is the master of him-self, self assured and confident, though can be arrogant (his pointed throne).
King of Cups is the master of emotions and relationships, giving good council and imaginative, though his control can be demanding (the dog and musical instrument).
King of Sword is the master of analysis and communication, though can be too quick and hard (thinking posteur and blue skies)
King of Pentacles is the master of responsibility and hard work, though can be slow to change (the bird and fire).

Verdi :)
I have the list now in front of my journal and will change it as time and experiance dictates.