Decks with women who aren't in floaty dresses.

euripides

Dear tarot designers,

Could we have some queens who wear trousers? Could we have some strong women who don't float about in floor-length gowns? Mothers are precious and wonderful, but that role isn't for everyone. And you know - some women have short hair.

I was watching Top Gun. I wanted to fly when I was a teenager. It dawned on me recently that I had the poster of Tom Cruise because I wanted not to date him, but to BE him. Not to be a man, but to do what he did and be as cool as him. Not the decorative girlfriend, not the ground-based expert in the tight skirt. To be Starbuck in the reimagined Battlestar.

I swear our stereotyping of the genders, for all the supposed embracing of diversity that we have now, has gotten far worse. I know that we need to value traditional women's roles and women's work. It's all about choice - those roles are so important.

As I hunt through decks for women I can actually relate to, I'm find that I'm really very short of role models.

Carojulie

You could have a look at the Vanessa tarot, women are depicted doing all sorts of activity, cooking but also riding horses and motocycles, studying books, jumping with parachute...

Metafizzypop

I'm just happy when the women have clothes on......

Redfaery

This is actually why I'm so madly in love with the Shadowscapes Tarot. The floaty androgynous figures line up perfectly with my own aesthetic ideals.

There definitely needs to be more diversity of representation in Tarot.

violetdaisy

I second the dreaming way - though the Queens may still be in dresses - I haven't looked in a bit. Fey Tarot is another one with "girls" (most look young) in pants - i really like 8p & 10w & kn w - and QP & QC are both in pants - but still feminine pants - kinda like genie pants but very well done :)

euripides

You could have a look at the Vanessa tarot, women are depicted doing all sorts of activity, cooking but also riding horses and motocycles, studying books, jumping with parachute...

Ah dang. It really does fit the bill in many respects - unfortunately the style of the art isn't really my thing... well, it's fantastic to see a deck with diverse representations of women, even if it isn't my personal taste. Maybe I'll give it another few looks and see if it grows on me.

This is actually why I'm so madly in love with the Shadowscapes Tarot. The floaty androgynous figures line up perfectly with my own aesthetic ideals.

You know I've been kind of coveting Shadowscapes but then rethought that because it seemed a bit too pretty-fantasy for my taste. But I also want a trimmed deck. So I'm thinking I should prioritize it.

oh my gosh. fantastic. I've never heard of this deck. These are stunning.

ana luisa

One more for the Dreaming Way. Quirky, great stock, excellent reading and the possibility to "chose" the gender to some cards which look androgynous. I like it so much, I got myself a spare :) Even her Lenormand rendition is fabulous .