Javanese Folktales Tarot website

Maygreen

http://www.javanesefolktalestarot.com

I'm making website for Javanese Folktales Tarot. I thought do people could understand the deck even without the booklet. Do you think the website will be needed or not?

If you have critiques, comments, and suggestions, please don't hesitate to tell. Thank you very much. :)

Yvresse

Wow! This is gorgeous! I don't know why I haven't heard of the deck before! I don't have the deck and haven't seen the booklet so I can't comment on how your website complement it, so bearing that in mind, here's my 2 cents:

From the pics of the cards on your website alone, I can pretty much understand the meanings. But, I am not entirely new to tarot so I can't say if a newbie would be able to do the same with the deck. More importantly, I find that decks based on specific cultures and legends always, always enhance the typical meanings of the cards if I am familiar with the legend/story myself. It's like the characters in the stories are always more 3D and alive, so more than just the Queen of Wands or that man in the 2 of Wands, there's a back story to the figure and your own ideas about the card. For this reason, I think that the folktales you have on your site will be really useful to people who use the deck, and an excellent introduction to Javanes lore for everyone else ;)

One suggestion I would make is to link the individual fokltales to the related cards. From the text on the cards, I can easily look up the corresponding tale, but having a direct link to the cards would make navigation easier. There are also a few grammar typos here and there but they are really minor, and the overall layout of the site is neat and elegant.

Thank you for taking the time to put the site up!

lilaclona

My roots are partly Indonesian, so this deck is definitely going on my (still way tooo long) wishlist. The artwork is very appealing. A booklet explaining why which card is linked to which story (and maybe even a short version of the story itself) would be very much appreaciated though.

Maygreen

Thank you for your suggestion.

The deck has just released a while ago, published by Adam McLean. I made the website because it'll be a deck without booklet, so I have to find another way so people could have a better understanding.

Rose 1911

Javanese folktales tarot

I tried serveral times to open the website. It just didn't open. Can you recommend a book telling us about the folktales?
Thanks in advance

JayBee

FYI, I was able to open the site in Firefox on a PC. Just checking...yes, it opens in Internet Explorer and Google Chrome browsers as well. Of course, I can only speak for my experience and my location in Canada, but at least it's evidence that the site works somewhere.

reall

yep, it works for me to!^^ just click on big image and then on folktales button those are stories and titles for mayor arcana!^^ I think,,,

The Happy Squirrel

I just tried opening the site on my phone and I can only see the initial image / icon which you click to enter the site. I can then see the heading or banner of the site, but when I click each of the tabs/buttons to go into sections nothing happened. So I can't see anything.... Will try opening again on my desktop.

Edit: just saw that OP posted this in 2009!

The Happy Squirrel

Just saw that this thread is from 2009!!

The Nusantara tarot is on my wish list but it always bothered me that their "wayang" images simply echoed the RWS without further delving into Javanese stories. These folktales are amazing. The depth they have is awesome paired with the Tarot framework.

FLizarraga

The website is Flash-based, so it can be hard to open in some browsers or in a mobile device.

It also seems that the OP stopped updating it after a while.