New Star Tarot deck

NightWing

I recently came across a reference to a tarot deck called "New Star" and wondered what it looked like. The only link I found, apparently to the artist's site, is dead. So I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about this tarot deck, or has it and could describe it, or could provide a link to images and/or information. Thanks.

Cerulean

There's a link here somewhere to the journal and tarot

Tarot by Erika McGinnis:

http://www.windstormcreative.com/windstorm/23138.htm

The link above now works to buy it--the tarot is being sold through Windstorm and if you buy it with the journal, it's less expensive. The journal are meditative words about the paintings.

Here's one picture that you can click larger, to see a human figure in the middle of the constellation, flying toward the Star.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1590921887/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

The journal is just black and white scans, a paragraph or two with blank spaces for writing. The cardboard is stiff, silvery speckled on black and not cut for real cards that you can shuffle.

The deck are large squares of handpainted images, perhaps color-copied with kind of silver metallic stock.

I'm not certain, but Gerbear might have bought a set? My recommendation back some months ago to him was as a collector, he really hunts for the unusual and different..

It's hard to describe...say a naive Daughters of the Moon style painting with sometimes silvery or dark backgrounds. Or perhaps otherworldly? While there's Thothy connection descriptions in the journal, Thoth fans might probably find Via or Tarot of the Spirit better as a reading deck...

I can only suggest...in memory, one of the courts is a Egyptian pharoah head and headress on a serpent body. I've seen something similar in a Lisa Hunt deck, but as an opinion, Ms. Hunt's image was more in the theme of her Shapeshifter deck. I think one of the cards I thought I would like was in the New Star was woman lounging with a cheetah in a tree...but now I prefer to have it in storage. I found the Eden Tarot's fanciful woman and the Tiger in large size worked better for me.

I've amended my comments. As an art deck with limited production, silk-screened in color on irridescent gray cardstock, it's not like any that I've seen. I'll try to post one or two scans--a major and a court in a bit.

I'm certain someone who has bought the deck or the artist's work will somehow emerge somewhere...it looks like Amazon is just starting to carry her work. A fan who knows of her may give you a much better and glowing review!

I work with it as an art/meditative deck and it's a good alternative. But for knocking about, I will be using the Roots of Asia, as it's a sturdy meditative deck that I get quickly. The New Star Tarot takes time to absorb and it's art presentation makes it more of a collector/quiet time deck.

Best regards,

Cerulean

Cerulean

Reviving this thread--the publisher site is offering it again

although they changed the name of the small press they are distributing it under
right now. Erika McGinnis art should be available in 2005 and I plan to get her book.

For $16.00 a deck, this is a rather nice price for a good presentation. The cards are big, matte stock, and do justice to paintings. Unfortunately for me, my telephone scans aren't so great...will try to enlarge next time.

I like the tarot and will post a few scans soon. It's independent and worth a look. I just wish they had more scans of her art up!

Regards,

Cerulean

Attachments

• NuStar10fire (2).jpg
    NuStar10fire (2).jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 308
  • NuStarAcdisks (2).jpg
    NuStarAcdisks (2).jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 260
  • NuStarHP (2).jpg
    NuStarHP (2).jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 260
  • NuStarPrFire (2).jpg
    NuStarPrFire (2).jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 234

hannahma

disappointing New Star Tarot

I ordered this from the authors after waiting six months for Amazon to find me one. Finally Amazon told me it was unavailable. The authors sent it within a week.
I thought it would be dreamily beautiful, from the art on the website, but alas, it's what the Aeclectic reviewers would tactfully call "very average". My disappointment will probably make it not a usable deck for me. I might sell it on Ebay...

I'll try to post scans of the entire deck.

Attachments

• newstar1.JPG
    newstar1.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 293

hannahma

more scans

ain't that a neat Death?

Attachments

• newstar004.jpg
    newstar004.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 272
  • newstar005.jpg
    newstar005.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 270
  • newstar006.jpg
    newstar006.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 249
  • newstar007.jpg
    newstar007.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 258
  • newstar008.jpg
    newstar008.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 237

hannahma

the enticingWorld pic

the pic that induced me to buy the deck.

Attachments

• newstar009.jpg
    newstar009.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 298

hannahma

more scans

the wands, some swords. Get a load of those snake-people.

Attachments

• newstar010.jpg
    newstar010.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 241
  • newstar011.jpg
    newstar011.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 228
  • newstar012.jpg
    newstar012.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 225
  • newstar013.jpg
    newstar013.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 243
  • newstar014.jpg
    newstar014.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 216

hannahma

more scans

swords and discs, a mite out of order.
A very cool ace of discs.

Attachments

• newstar015.jpg
    newstar015.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 221
  • newstar016.jpg
    newstar016.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 210
  • newstar017.jpg
    newstar017.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 209
  • newstar018.jpg
    newstar018.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 207
  • newstar019.jpg
    newstar019.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 207

hannahma

two more scans

hmm.... don't seem to have any cups! Must have left them at the office.

Attachments

• newstar021.jpg
    newstar021.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 242

Sulis

Moderator note

Hannahma,

I think we'd rather you didn't post scans of the whole deck - you may be in breach of copyright.... At the very least to post the whole deck, I think it would be good ettiquette to ask permission of the deck author to publish the images.

Sulis - co-moderator - Tarot Decks